WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2009, 03:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Caran d'Ache Watercolor Pencil Charts - Library

Here are the charts for the Caran d'Ache Supracolor II Watercolor Pencils. They have 120 in this line, which is an artist line, and each pencil has lightfast ratings on it. They are made in Switzerland, and are very soft and easy to work with.

The charts show the pencil dry (on the left of each color) then wet (in the middle) then dragged (once) across the paper on the right side of the color.

The lightfast ratings from the pencil are given in stars, and the pencil number.

At the end of chart 3, I put 12 Caran d'Ache Classicolor Metallic water-soluble pencils.

And here are the pencils again. They come in a sturdy tin- and what is nice, is that the first two layers have a tin bottom....some companies just put the pencils in plastic, which can easily dump out the pencils.

Be quick to forgive, we all make mistakes. That is what makes us human.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Re: Caran d'Ache Watercolor Pencil Charts - Library

Again, like the other materials threads you have recently done, the task of putting this together is huge. AND gives us a huge resource, accessible forever!

Jen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

And usefull now becouse i can see difference in two colours what i have i mean seems both pencils have correct hue even my older pencil have different hue with number 110 more blue i think.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2009, 09:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

thanks Jen and JPQ!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

This less blue hue is more suitable for mixing i mean when you what BRIGHT violet Colours something what i dont found in premade pencil in this product series and closest thing is i think blue violet in faber-castell (but this is only * star i think when we talk watersoluble pencils). Saddly Green range is little limited but nice is nice mix brands but sometimes wants only one pencil box...
ps. hues what i talk are 110 and 120.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

I made these sample sheets for my own edification but it occurred to me that some others might like to see how these pencils look on the new Stonehenge "Kraft" colored paper = nice and bright.

The top page are the colors in the small 18-color set. The second is a test of some "drabs" and some brights on the Kraft.

I learned a lot just doing these samplers!

Jan

+++++++++++++++++++++++

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

One more sampler! These are wet mixes on Strathmore Aquarius II wc paper.

Jan

+++++++++++++++++

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Wow, Jan, thank you for showing the samples on Stonehenge kraft paper. You know, I used Stonehenge once with watercolor pencil and wash and the paper sort of curled and warped a little in the end. Did this kraft paper do that?

I didn't expect watercolor pencil wash will show up so well on kraft paper. What do you think is the property that let it light up? Especially the whites. They really show. Jan, is only Supracolor the only one that could show up like this on this paper? Do you have other watercolor pencils that washes and still show up? Please do show in another thread perhaps call it Stonehenge paper test. I'd love to see it.

Beautiful combo on the mix of color. They are all so dreamy.

What's all those holes on the left hand side? Did they come like that or you punched them for filing on your own?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Jan- what gorgeous colors on the kraft paper- wow! The mixes are just exquisite! Any chance of labeling what the mixes were? I have not seen the new stonehenge kraft paper.....thanks so much for sharing!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakinme
Wow, Jan, thank you for showing the samples on Stonehenge kraft paper. You know, I used Stonehenge once with watercolor pencil and wash and the paper sort of curled and warped a little in the end. Did this kraft paper do that?
Yes, there is definitely a little bit of buckling. But not so that it's a 'deal breaker'. I really like how gouache and these Supracolor wc pencils look on this Stonehenge 'Kraft' colored paper. So I am more than willing to deal with some buckling. But I am strictly a sketchbook person! If you are going to do something for framing you might want to stretch it, like you do with all watercolor paper.

Quote:
I didn't expect watercolor pencil wash will show up so well on kraft paper. What do you think is the property that let it light up?
I suspect it's because the pigments in the Supracolors are so concentrated. They look opaque. For the one-color sample boxes I put the pigment down really heavy in the top left corner and then kind of feathered it out towards the bottom of the rectangle. But they still washed very thick and bold, for the most part.

Quote:
Especially the whites. They really show.
They look great. As do the light sky blues. Really nice!

Quote:
Jan, is only Supracolor the only one that could show up like this on this paper? Do you have other watercolor pencils that washes and still show up? Please do show in another thread perhaps call it Stonehenge paper test. I'd love to see it.
I have the Caran d'Ache Museum leads, which are the same as the Supracolors, except without the wood. No, I don't have any other wc pencils that I'd like to test on this paper. Sorry!

Quote:
Beautiful combo on the mix of color. They are all so dreamy.
I really had a good time with those! I have practically no experience whatsoever with wc pencils so I learned a lot messing with the mixes. They are so pigmented! It's really fun!

Quote:
What's all those holes on the left hand side? Did they come like that or you punched them for filing on your own?
Ha! No, they don't come like that. The paper comes in 22" X 30" sheets. I tear them down to size so I can punch them and use them in my sketchbooks. I use the Rollabind/Circa system and those holes are the punch holes so I can bind the pages into the sketchbook. I took these sample sheets out of the sketchbook so I could scan them. So that's why you can see the holes.

Glad you enjoyed seeing these colors on this paper. I was considerably "wowed" by how opaque the wc pencil pigments were. (I was expecting them to be more transparent and watery.) And furthermore, when you 'color' them onto the Strathmore and the Stonehenge papers (which are a little toothy, the Strathmore more so than the Stonehenge), you get a very nice granulated look, which survives the wetting and blending sometimes. I like that depth.

I am considering carrying a small bundle of these pencils in my sketch kit, instead of the mini-watercolor palette box. I have one of the pans in that box filled with white gouache, on the theory that I could mix up light opaque colors for highlights on this brown paper, but the gouache kept drying up so quickly and into such a rock-hard blob that it wasn't usable. (The watercolor tube pigments in the box are easily reconstituted with some water. The gouache? No.)

The white Supracolor pencils are MUCH more convenient than that. Okay, yes, they are not nearly as opaque as the gouache, but still much easier to deal with.

Jan
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestMoon
Jan- what gorgeous colors on the kraft paper- wow! The mixes are just exquisite! Any chance of labeling what the mixes were? I have not seen the new stonehenge kraft paper.....thanks so much for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words, but the pencils and the water did all the work! Alas. Naturally I didn't record any of the ingredients in the mixes. I am sorry.

Jan
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Jan, thanks for all the info again.

Gouache do harden quickly and cannot be reconstituted. When I travel, I travel with a tube of white gouache.

I'm wondering if watercolor shows on kraft paper. I've only used gouache so far. I have to give mine a try.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
I'm wondering if watercolor shows on kraft paper. I've only used gouache so far. I have to give mine a try.
Obviously, the Stonehenge "Kraft" colored printmaking paper is a totally different animal from the standard ole kraft paper that comes in 100 foot rolls. I am willing to bet that the two very different papers will "take" paint in totally different ways.

On a related note, here is the work of one of my local Urban Sketchers, Christian Tribastone. He does DELIGHTFUL work on that plain ole kraft paper. I love his stuff.

Jan
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Jan, yes. the are quite different. I wouldn't even try to use the regular kraft paper since it isn't acid free or archival (in general). Stonehenge kraft colored paper is standard Stonehenge paper.

Stonehenge is quite nice to work with. While it takes some water, I was told to not use too much. Essentially, use dry brush techniques. If it gets too wet it might buckles a bit.

In any case, I like seeing the samples on color. I've been working with black so much lately that I might have to do samples with black to balance all I have on white.

Doug
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2011, 05:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Jan, I love that guys work too, and that first one looks like a paper grocery bag!

Doug, cool idea showing what they will look like on black!