WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States
WIP - Dog, Cat, centaurs...!?

This is one of my fantasy paintings which just so happens to include the family pets, a cat and dog....so y'all get to suffer through this WIP, ha!

This is 16x20 alkyd oil on a Art & Enns polystyrene panel. Hope you all don't mind the fantasy elements here.

First installment from my blog:

This one is inspired from this sketch from my centaur sketchbook and will be done in oils at 16x20.

I'm still working out the drawing and plan to explore a horizontal format so I can space out the figures a bit more. This vertical format sketch on tracing paper is my first idea, but, it is just a start. More to come later as I plan to photograph and comment on the progress of this work in progress.

Second installment from my blog:

I finally got back to work on this one! I don't have a name for it yet which is why I am using 'centaurs braiding hair', ha! I'll think of something as I work on this. I finalized the drawing (called a cartoon) by redrawing the various elements on tracing paper which allowed me to cut out and move elements around until I was satisfied with the composition. I then retraced it on a full sized sheet exactly how I wanted the layout on the painting.

Next step was to prepare the painting panel. I am using a new product by Art & Enns of Canada, a polystyrene panel claimed to last over a thousand years with no deterioration...like I'll be around to see if it's true, right? Ha! Anyway, I have been looking for a better painting surface for a long time and decided to try out a panel from A&E on this painting. I like how they are made, but, they do have a pronounced texture on them. It is not too bad, though, so I painted the surface with alkyd paint tinted with burnt sienna for a warm golden underpainting to help fill in the texture. I sanded that down and now am happy with the surface.

With the panel ready to go, the next step was to transfer the cartoon to the panel. I taped the cartoon to the panel and used a red transfer paper between the cartoon and the panel and then drew over the drawing on the cartoon using a hard ball point pen. Once finished I had a light red tracing on the panel.

It is very light and the fine detail was not transfered due to the panel texture. I know that as it was, I would lose my drawing once I started applying paint, so, my next step was to redraw the tracing using a Sharpie marker to establish a bold, detailed drawing.

I will make numerous adjustments to this as I paint, especially on the figures faces and legs. The background will get a lot more added to it also...I'm still considering how I want to decorate the rooms and the centaurs. This is how it looks now.

Next step will be to start applying paint! Hope y'all like it!

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Resting in Peace
Darlington Co/Durham

Hails from England
Re: WIP - Dog, Cat, centaurs...!?

This is going to be a interesting one Kerry,lots of detail in there.

Best from mike.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

very interesting so far!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I love this!!! Great imagination. I've pulled up a chair!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Litchfield Park, Arizona

Hails from United States

You are so creative, I salute you!
Looking forward to seeing more....
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Colorado

Hails from United States

love the concept! I'll be watching

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM
WC! Guide
TN

Hails from United States

Oh I really do love this! I am watching you work.
Jody
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Pikeville, Tennessee

Hails from United States

Can't wait to watch this one come along, what a neat idea. So far I love it, who would have thought to do this, it's so original. And still so believeable, like a day in the life centaurs. I'll stay tuned, its great.
Loxley

web address: loxleystudio.com
"For the Love of Horses!"
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Enthusiast
Melbourne, Australia

Hails from Australia

What a great concept, it's fascinating and I love the ancient feel! Looking forward to seeing it develop.

http://www.alisonclark.artspan.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 AM
Resting in Peace
Clark, Wyoming

Hails from United States

Wow Kerry! You are tackling quite the project this time, and I know you're up to the challenge! You go, girl!

God blessed me with the gift to create art. It is both my joy and my purpose to use that talent to His glory.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Glad you all find this interesting! This one may take me awhile to complete! Here's my next installment from today.

Monday, November 9, 2009
WIP - 16x20 Centaur 'Braiding' Painting 3
My next step is to paint a monochromatic underpainting to work out the values and lighting for this painting. This is not a step I normally bother with in my smaller work, but, this large, complex composition is purely fictitious with no reference outside of my imagination to rely on, so, I need the value study to help me work out these details.

This is painted in using just white and burnt sienna.

I added a little ultramarine blue and burnt umber to create some deeper dark values here for the back room and for detailing on the centaurs.

I am not finished with the value painting, yet...just had to quit for the day. I am not so much interested in creating every little detail in the monochromatic study, but, I do want to fully establish the lighting/shadows at this point and make sure it works well in the composition before I start adding color.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Immortalized
Johnson City, NY

Hails from United States

Love the imagination that went into this!! Will be watching--I think it's really cool!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Hi, BethAnn! Glad you like it! I'm kinda excited about this one, too. I have been painting so many tiny things lately that I really need this larger painting to stretch out a bit, lol! I have not done any more on this yet, maybe tonight.

BTW, any critiques or comments welcome on this!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Wednesday, November 11, 2009
WIP - 16x20 Centaur 'Braiding' Painting 4
Today, I made a few changes to the background. I spent part of the day studying photographs of ancient Italian architecture and egyptian relics to get some ideas for the structure and decor of the rooms in this painting. It is not my intention to mimic any one culture, rather, to create a plausible sub-culture that might exist if centaurs were real and living among human cultures of the ancient times.

This family is obviously well off with a palacial estate and many luxuries. Here, the mother is having her eldest daughter braid her mane and help her with her dressing for a night out with her husband when he returns home. The youngest daughter entertains them with chatter and play. She and her pets find the occassion very exciting and festive and as a result is always getting underfoot.

I changed the doorway columns and wall structure and also changed the table and pictures on the right side. I thought they were just too modern looking. There will be a tapestry on the wall instead and an oil lamp on the wall behind the childs head. In the back room I added a fireplace with a cooking pot, and, will have a brick wall mantle above it. Floors are undecided, yet. I'm leaning towards brick and stone floors similar to ancient Roman architecture, or, my original idea of woven rugs...have to wait n see. Lots more details to be worked out on this .

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Friday, November 20, 2009
WIP - 16x20 Centaur 'Braiding' Painting 5
Here's a brief update: I didn't get a lot of painting time on this and there is not too much to show yet. I did work the backroom and worked the color of the colums and walls. Made a change to the mothers arm, and, added a wall oil lamp with silver reflector. Over all I just did a bit here and there.