WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 PM
A Local Legend
Charleston South Carolina

Hails from United States
Quick-to-make Crafts to Sell For Pennies

Okay, we love our art and they only want to buy things for fifty cents. What to do? Well, if you have an answer post it here. I'll start.

This idea came from my typing class in high school. It's a book holder. You know how awkward it can be whether you're typing (flunked the class) or cooking (sticky fingers messed up the recipe book) or sewing (dropped the darned needle when I went to pick the book back up to check the pattern) so you need a bookholder.

In some cooking store or another at the mall you can get something made of plastic and pay around five to ten dollars for it. Or you can grab some string and two buttons and make your own. Yup.

This will work with any book that has a spiral top - so won't solve all your problems, but will solve some of them. The books can be hard or soft covered. It will also work with a leaflet that doesn't have a spiral. Needs to be a book positioned "landscape" and not "portrait' as you can see:

You need two buttons with 2 holes in them and a length of string or cord. Slip the string through the holes and tie in a knot, cutting your string close to the button. Take the other end of the string and do the same with the second botton leaving a good length of string in between. Mine has 7 inches or so in between but I didn't measure.

Flip the book open and put one botton against the back of the book and one against the front of the book and it will prop against the buttons and stay open. (center it on book)

Simple and works. So handy for my sketchbooks where the ideas get written down and drawn out. This book holder is portable and so handy. You need one! You surely have a button collection somewhere, don't you? A bit of string or cord?

So, share some of your quick and cheap ideas! Saving eachother money and providing a bit of inspiration for those swap meets and craft fairs - let's do this!

My Blog!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 03:16 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Quick-to-make Crafts to Sell For Pennies

Okay, here are a couple more ideas. First off, if your kids can use pointy scissors then here is a craft they can do, it's cheap as it uses that "felt" which is still findable for 20 cents a sheet, a bit of glue, and a bit of thread slipped in for a hanging loop. Done! Great for the kids table at the church fair, granda's holiday card insert, etc. They look cute on the tree, too. Any shape will do. Little ones can cut a square and add bits to it and make it look like a present, or cut a triangle as a simple Christmas tree. The dove can be jazzed up a bit if you're brave by adding a bit of glitter.

Here's another: This is a small but handy one using that fabric you've seen from me before and some of the small bits of batting that I can't throw away and are usually too small to use. The backing matches the hanging loop. It's not even bound - I just "pillowcased" it and ran a row of top stitches around the entire thing. Done!

Bookmarks are an easy thing we are always looking for them. I made these with card stock and decided it was not necessary to laminate them. I printed 5 to a card and added a bit of ribbon and there you are. Print anything you like on them or write it by hand with a hand drawn image if you prefer. They can also be made smaller and with regular computer paper then laminated if you want to. The sleeves aren't cheap so you will have to charge more but that's fine. It still won't be much.

My Blog!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Martha, you should add your little post-it note pads with pen that you showed earlier. That's another little something.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 04:14 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Good point, Debby, I will, and here it is again. It's a small note holder sized for my favorite kind of sticky notes. It's a piece of card stock folded and essentially made into a "matchbook" with a staple at the top to keep it that way. The decorative paper on it is just a scrap of pretty paper I had. It's in place with simple school glue. I also stapled on a pen loop on the side. I was in Michael's or AC Moore when they had a clearance sale on some silly mini markers in a box that was crayon sized. I paid 27 cents for a box of 48, so they seemed perfect for this little purse accessory. The note pad itself is held in place by the very glue on the back of the sticky note and thus the holder keeps them from wandering all over the inside of my purse and this also means the note pad is easily replaced when necessary into this holder.

Folks, this thread is open to any silly, fun, or clever ideas that pop into your heads!

My Blog!

Last edited by BeyondTheNineSquares : 11-01-2009 at 04:31 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Good ideas, Martha. Here are a few of mine that I've done the past year. All I have to offer is crochet.

Hair scrunchies

Hearts are easy enough to crochet (I got tons of easy crochet patterns free online) and make nice coasters or appliques, etc. Out of thread they make nice bookmarks. Out of cotton yarn nice coasters or pot holders. On and on.

Chokers are very easy to crochet, with beads, charms or just with yarn.

Pot holders and dishcloths and placemats:

Baby bibs:

The angel door hangers make up quite fast:

Ok, Martha, you asked for it!! I wouldn't sell any of these items for .50c but they make up pretty fast and would be less expensive crochet items to make.
And of course there are ............ hats!

I know some of you have seen a lot of these items I made over the past year but they fit Martha's category here.

I am made in God's image so I create.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thank you Bonnie. No they don't have to be items for .50 cents but my thought was that many of us need to come up with quick and simple/inexpensive things for one reason or another and some inspiration from one another and in one place is a good thing. Sure some of my stuff you've seen before but with us putting quick things in one place like this we have a good "reference library" for getting inspired.

Your crochet pieces are wonderful and quite varied too!

My Blog!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Martha - I don't think it's too early for Christmas items. Retailers are putting them out already. I will try to draw an angel that a friend makes from recycled Christmas cards and post it here. She sells them for $2 or $3 at craft fairs.

Have you thought of aprons? The upper piece could be a quilt block. How about pillow shams that you could make from a quilt block with wider strips of binding. That's something you love to do and could be sold for much less than a quilt. I think your Christmas table runners would be a hit. Last year I googled stars and paper ornaments (sort of origami ) and came up with several. If I can find those links again, I'll post them. Or borrow a book of Origami from the library.

If you do rubber stamping, you could make gift tags to sell - a few in an envelope for a dollar or two. I have double sided sticky photo squares that I use on the backs of mine. Peel the backing off one side and stick it to the tag and leave the backing on the other side for the user to take off.

Oops, I just reread the title of this thread, some of this stuff would be more than pennies, but worth thinking about anyway. I think your note pads would be great for kids to buy for Mom for gifts.

Gee, why haven't I done some of this myself? The bazaars are getting in full swing now. I must plan ahead next year.

Carole A
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 11:13 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Great ideas, Carole and no it doesn't have to be pennies. The idea was mostly quick and inexpensive and good for a rough economy - thanks for your great ideas here!

My Blog!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

All great ideas, Martha and Carole!

Carole, you sound like me...I keep telling myself that I will get ready for the "next" craft show. You probably really mean it, though. I think I mean it but so far I haven't done it. Little by little I'm getting some things made up ahead, though.

Btw, Martha, I love that little felt snowman!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by blestlady
All great ideas, Martha and Carole!

Carole, you sound like me...I keep telling myself that I will get ready for the "next" craft show. You probably really mean it, though. I think I mean it but so far I haven't done it. Little by little I'm getting some things made up ahead, though.

Btw, Martha, I love that little felt snowman!

Bonnie, I think my New Year's resolution will be to stay away from the TV. I could accomplish so much more if I just stay away from the reruns, the silly sitcoms and the other junk. Although I have been enjoying football this year. Our Oregon Ducks are phenomenal! I could knit during commercials and halftime though.

Carole A.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Carole, I crochet while we watch TV evenings. My main time-robber is the internet. I would have a spotless house (ok, well, maybe not....) if I would stay away from the computer. And I know I would have more time for my crafts.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by blestlady
Carole, I crochet while we watch TV evenings. My main time-robber is the internet. I would have a spotless house (ok, well, maybe not....) if I would stay away from the computer. And I know I would have more time for my crafts.

I could make the internet part of my resolution also. I do need to check each morning and throughout the day for business related email and real estate activity. Then unless I have an early appointment, I move right along to Wet Canvas. I have to keep up with the watercolor and fiber arts activity. I have no excuse for sitting in front of the computer in the evenings.

Carole A
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks, ladies. I'm going to make more doves and snowmen, I think.

I'm bad. I have my laptop and tv right in the room with me and my quilting and other treasure. I'd probably get more done of a number of things if I limited myself to just one, but job hunting is so stressful especially on days like today when there's nothing to apply for, that I need to go back and forth.

My Blog!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Martha -
Some links for you:

http://www.boltneighborhood.com/2009...rom-sally.html

http://www.boltneighborhood.com/2009...-tutorial.html

http://www.boltneighborhood.com/2009...-tutorial.html

I like the coin purse here. It could also be a make-up bag. Not much fabric required in any of these.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Great finds, Carole. Thanks.