WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States
Building a "Charles Morgan" BottleJack Press- WIP Thread

Charles Morgan of Mossworks Studio -also a member here on WC- was kind enough to share step-by-step plans for designing a bottlejack printing press. I thought I would start a "work in progress" thread about the building of mine!

First of all, I decided to enlist the help of my Dad (aka SuperDad). I hated to give up some of the construction control, but Dad has had SO much experience building and fixing things. He also has a studio full of power tools . Thankfully my parents only live about 15 minutes away and Dad is always up for a project, so he was happy to help.

Our first step was building the top part of the frame that will eventually hold the bottlejack....

Dad poses with the almost-finished top:

Putting these pieces together took almost 3 hours (and the wood was pre-cut!), much to my dismay. Dad is VERY particular about measuring, re-measuring, and doing everything "the right way." I would have just slapped everything together and hoped for the best... alas, not Dad. I guess this is a good thing, but I have a feeling the project will go a lot slower than I'd like because of Dad's meticulousness. I DO realize this will mean the press will be a lot nicer and stronger than if I had attempted to put it together myself, though, so I will try to be patient.

MANY many thanks to Mr. Morgan for providing such well-written directions to build a press! Stay tuned... more pics to come...

Jen
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM

Re: Building a "Charles Morgan" BottleJack Press- WIP Thread

Jen,

I will follow your progress with great interest.

Your dad is being very careful indeed!!!. I just slapped some glue on the 2x4s, set the short edges of the 2x4s on a flat surface, clamped them together, and then turned them on their sides and put in the screws. You can tell I am very "slap dash" about my construction!

Best of luck with it ... it is a fun project. Keep us posted.

Cheers ....... Charles
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

Looks like it is going to be a great press when done- It's being built with plenty of attention to detail!

-Andrew
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Jen, this is pretty exciting. Your Dad might slow things down a bit but I bet he'll get the job done right! Also, I don't think I have ever seen so many clamps on one small piece of wood...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

you're ahead of me . Well. I can get your thoughts on it before I start to make one!

later,

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Phoenix

Hails from United States

Be patient with Dad! He's doing it the right way. I took my time with my home made etching press and everyone says it's a work of art in itself. You will really enjoy working with your new press because your Dad helped you with it and because it will turn out so nice.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Hails from United States

I built one a couple of weeks ago with the help of a buddy at Stout Metalworks. We used a welded steel frame. So far, with limited use, it's worked great. I just need more time in my days to make prints!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States

Onto Part 2 of building the press!

On Sunday, Dad and I spent about 4 hours cutting out boards of MDF that would become the press bed, platen, and stiffner. The directions mentioned that countertop material would be perfect, and I did have a piece, but Dad noticed that it had a slight warp to it (I never would have seen it! So much for my glasses lol). Lowes and Home Depot did not carry leftover-cut countertop pieces either. Soooo... we went with MDF, 3/4" thick.

Dad used his tablesaw to do all the cutting, and used a fancy Japanese saw to cut out the notches on the platen. I have always wanted to use his tablesaw -it's REALLY awesome- but apparently the time I accidentally ran my finger through my sewing machine will forever be counted against me! Despite my pleas to use the saw, Dad said No and did it himself. This means that, in the end, I retained all 10 fingers, as did Dad, who is super-careful with all equipment.

The MDF got 2 coats of polyeurathene (sorry, I know I spelled that wrong) and I am thinking to add a 3rd coat too. I was going to paint them but the warm brown is so nice.

And speaking of painting, this is the top part of the press, primed and being painted with grey enamel paint.

Of course, all work is supervised by my greyhounds! This is Jack (brindle) and Lucy (black). Clifford, my fawn boy, was wandering around the yard and refused to settle down with them, lol.

Dad and I are having another project afternoon tomorrow, so more pics will added soon!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2009, 09:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

What a great thing, Jen... You are getting a '2 for the price of one'! A new handy-dandy press and some great time sharing with your father. Certainly a win-win in my book!

Diane
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 AM

It's looking great so far. That 3/4 inch MDF will be plenty tough for your press. And I do reccomend the extra coat of polyurethane finish ... probably over-kill, but better to do it and not need it than to not do it and need it.

Maybe I will henceforth franchise out all of my press projects to you and your dad!!!

Cheers ....... Charles
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States

Oh, I so appreciate everyone responding! I love reading your comments.

I drove over to Mom and Dad's house today so I could work more on my bottlejack press. Dad was working on a Polish version of venison stew, so it was pretty much me in the workshop alone. He left the kitchen occasionally to come downstairs to help me when I needed assistance, but I did most of the hands-on work. Very exciting!

Of course, doing the work myself meant that things didn't come out as, uh, perfect as they should have. Witness the threaded bar, which I had to cut into little pieces with a hacksaw. I MEASURED so that they would all be the same length, but somehow they came out all different lengths?? Not sure how that happened.

I also cut 2 large pieces of slotted steel into 4 pieces which will be used as sides for the press. It took a little practice to get used to holding (and using) a hacksaw, which I used to cut the pieces. Okay, this may sound silly, but do you realize how HOT metal gets when you cut it?? It almost burns your fingers when you touch it afterwards! Really crazy. I had to let the ends cool down before I could use the metal file to smooth them.

The slotted steel bars and threaded steel I cut down into pieces:

I'm also getting everything ready to build the bottom of the press- a kind of wooden matrix- the 2x4 wood pieces were primed, painted with gray enamel paint, and 2 pieces were glued/screwed together as another piece of the bottom. The large gray wooden piece on the far right is the top, which I completed a week or so ago.

I'm hoping we'll get this project done in the next two weekends or so!

Jen
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Jen I am handy but you take the cake! Fabulous job. I think the screw would be hard to cut evenly because of the spiral of the threads, I am sure it has nothing to do with your skills.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 04:16 AM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

It looks like you are coming along!! Isn't all that metal FUN to cut by hand?? I am lucky- I have access to a full metal shop w/chop saws and all that fun stuff... You did a great job!

-Andrew
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 AM

Hey, those pieces look like the ones in the photos in my directions!!! You even used grey paint .... guess I should have said that the color does not affect the strength of the press ...

It should not be much longer now ... congratulations, and keep up the good work!

Cheers ....... Charles
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States

LOL, cutting the metal was SO fun... LOL. Hard to not only saw in a straight line, but the SOUND was also very strange... almost nails-on-chalkboard. Andrew you are SO lucky to have a metal cutting machine!

Barbara- thank you- But my Dad came down several times to show me what to do! I'm glad he was there to give me pointers.

Charles... I liked your gray paint! The bottlejack I bought is bright red, and I had wanted to paint all the wood red. That was my initial plan at least. Dad had some leftover enamel paint though- white and gray- so I decided to save some $$ and use his leftover gray. It looked great on your project.

Jen