WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States
Wood Carving Tutorial

This is a Brown Trout my friend caught a couple of years back. I am carving this fish for his birthday..It is now past due so I need to get going.

This pattern is 24 inches. We will now transfer this pattern to the block

The wood we are using is Tupelo. The wood is from the swamps of Louisiana. It has the strength we need for the fins and is easy to carve and sand

A lot of scraps after the band-saw work. We will save these and use some of them to carve the rocks in our habitat.

We will now square up the band-saw cuts and it will be ready for the pattern.

Need to locate and mark the eyes and key points of the head and than match the other side

With the pattern on, we can now start taking the wood off down to the pattern liines

Note, I want to keep tract of where that eye is at.

The tool I use for the rough work is a Foredom. That bit on there will not only take the wood off in a hurry, it will also remove skin on any fingers that get in the way.....I have the scars to proof it.

The fish is now starting to appear.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Orlando area of Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Wood Carving Tutorial

I assume yer frend is a SMALL person!? Or I'd likta eat that fish... Godzilla Trout!
Put some hooks in yer carving so he/she can go after the NEXT biggest fish!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States

Steve, To this day it is still the biggest trout he has caught. 24 Inch trout is a nice trout in anyones book.
Gary
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States

After sanding down again I redraw the pattern on. At this point he has a roman nose and a fat chin so we will take aliittle wood off in these areas.

Before you take the wood off double check by using your finger to see what it will look like.

Looking better after the trim and shave

We are going to bring the 2 gill plates together and join together. It is nice to have some nice reference for areas like this.

Now using a Gesswein and smaller bits I start to define certain key areas on the head.

After carving out the mouth, I will wood burn to give abit more definition

Back to the Gesswein and using a small diamond bit I will start to identify the preopercle line

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2009, 05:16 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Thanks for the WIP i look forward to seeing the finished piece
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Looks interesting with all the clear pictures!Also curious about the progress.

See My Painting Reliefs | | My flickr album
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States

After identifing the Preopercle line I will blend the lower line into the rest of the gill plate

Here we are going to start opening the mouth

After drawing in the Branchiostegal rays, I will take a small diamond cylinder bit and carve in

Now taking a large diamond pear shape bit I will take a little of the penciled in area

Another look at this area.

This line starts at the top of the Brachiostegal rays and extends to the front of the lower mandible

Here we will finish carving in the rest of the Brachiostegal rays.

Getting out the wood burner, I will now go back through this area and define it a little more

Please feel free to ask any questions.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Thanks so much for doing this tutorial to watch. Do you use hand chisels at some point in the carving or use foredom tools for the entire carving? It looks like such fun to carve with those tools! It must go quicker than chisels. In the end, do the chisels give sharper detail than the foredom tools? Sometime, I sure would like to do a woodcarving too!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks for putting the tutorial up - it's great to watch the work take shape and that is one monster-size fish! I can't wait to see the finished article and the habitat.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States

A lot of the duck/decoy carvers will use draw knives, and knives but to get the high detail of a decorative carving you will need to use a power tool. It would be tough to carve and texture the feathers on birds with a knife. You could get away with using a knife on a fish carving but there would be alot of sanding and it would add a lot of time to the project.

I started with a dremel for about $70.00. I wanted to make sure I liked the hobby before investing a lot of money. I than went to the Foredom which put a few more carvings under my belt. Than I took a class and the teacher let me use his Gesswein and I never looked back. The Gesswein is a lot of fun to work with. I do keep the Foredom around to do the heavy work.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States

We are going to define this chin area more with a pear shaped bit. After carving this channel I will go back through and eliminate the hard lines and blend in

1. Right behind the eye is a small channel, we will use a larger pear shaped bit for this area. I want to blend the lower part of the channel into the fish and leave a small subtle ridge along the top

2. We will now identify the cleithrum right behind the gills. I will use a small cylinder shape bit for this.

3. The curved line is where we will insert the pectorial fin. Right behind that fin is a small subtle channel. This allows the fish to tuck in the fin next to the body and streamline the body. If you have ever spooked a fish out of shallow water you probably notice he tucks in the fins and swims like mad.

[IMG]

The next 4 photos we are working on the nares (nostrils). Keeping in mind that water flows through the first hole and out the back hole on each side. After locating nares using our patterns and double checking both sides we can start carving a small channel in front of the nares. Next we take a small cylinder and drill the nares. The final step and the hardest step is using a medium size cylinder bit to carve a ring around each nare. After carving I will clean this area up by lightly sanding

Back to the mouth now, we are going to carve out deeper hopefully without making the opening any larger. Than we will round and detail.

We are now at the point where I would like to put some finer details in the head. I am going to hold off on the glass eyes till later on in the project to prevent scratching the glass. 1. We are going to put in another wrinkle right below the mouth, first carve it in than wood burn. On 2 & 3 we will just wood burn these lines(wrinkles) in.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States

Using the scraps from the original cutout we can now work on the Fins

We are going to start with the Pectorial Fins. As you can see in the photos the cutouts are fairly thick, this will give some leeway in shaping the fins

You want to make the fins a mirror image of each other

After shaping the fin we will also add a few wringles

Now checking to see how it fits and looks. When working the fins, try to picture how the water will flow over each fin

Now we will start working on the viens in each fin

Using a small diamond bit we carve in each line. You will be doing this to both sides so you have to be careful not to cut through. Put your fins up to a strong light and mark the areas you can see through. On this project, I did cut through one of the fins and had to start over. To help prevent this, try to offset the lines on the other side so the do not line up exactly.

After carving in the viens we will now go back and knock down the sharp edges.

We finish up detailing with the wood burner.

This fin is done. We will insert the fins in the final stages of the carving, so will will set this on aside and start on the next one.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2009, 01:26 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Still watching
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM

I'm watching too. I checked out your Gesswein tool and it sure is pricey but I can see why. You can do so much with all those attachments. Your friend is going to love this fish in memory of his big fish. And the fish is such a beautifully colored fish that it will be a fun paint up. That yellow belly is really bright and the spotting is a work of art in itself.

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States

Sculpture Doll.....the Gesswein I have is about 10 years old, there are now a number of motor tools out and prices have dropped, you might check out a few of the wood carving supply websites. Also the Foredom now has a number of attachments that make it easier to work with.

Trevors, Sculpture Doll........Glad you are enjoying to tutorial

Gary