WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Dublin

Hails from Ireland
Registering lino plates

Hi All,

new to the forum, but not to the website - a great source of information and support.

I have been in touch with a few people, and I know it's a difficult subject to describe, but I really need help in setting out a simple registration, so that I can begin multiple colour prints - my first foray will be background colour and the cut print on top... hopefully proceeding with further plates and reduction prints, once I get my head around it.

Can anyone suggest a good source of information (book, website, leaflet etc) for setting out simple registrations for both the plate and paper, which doesn't mean having to get handy with heavy-duty tools! something that's quick and easy, if there is such a thing, or am I being naive? Before anyone replies, the pin-method... I have no idea how that works?! a source with good pictures/ photos would be good!

Also, what is the best method to approach multiple plate printing, i.e. in setting out a print from the key image?

Thanks in advance and hope to be a regular contributor once I'm up and running!!

Fawn
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Dayton, Ohio

Re: Registering lino plates

Fawn,

I'm not sure if you are printing by hand or on a press. If it's on a press then I don't have a clue, but if it is by hand, this might help. I was where you are last winter and the thought of registration seemed a little overwhelming, especially once I started reading about methods other people used. I think the first thing I tried was a pin based system, but I'd stay away from that. Take a look at this page from McClains Printmaking Supplies...

http://www.imcclains.com/catalog/woo...tionboard.html

I built the same thing by simply taping mat board to a piece of wood. The only difference is that where they are showing tape to align the paper, I have taped a second level of mat board. I start by putting the paper in the lower left corner and then always make sure it is resting against the left edge. It's simple and works great. I'm sure that more experienced printmakers have even better registration systems set up.

As far as a good source for information, try the following link... the site is geared toward woodblock printing, but I picked up quite a bit of information that I was able to apply to linocuts when I forst started.

http://www.woodblock.com/encyclopedia/outline.html
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Dayton, Ohio

Also... be sure to check out that thread in the printmaking forum here with the sticky on it that says "Demos, Information, & Printmaking Terms: Links" for lots of useful information.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Fawn, nice seeing another Irish forum member, even though I am actually South African. I use a system very similar to the McClains one at the link above, but I make it myself. I use a small table top press, but it works just as well with a baren or spoon. I use a piece of cardboard (sketchbook backing works great, but so will matboard) slightly bigger than the paper, glue and tape a strip of lino to either edge to prevent the press roller from jumping onto the block. Then I glue an L-shaped piece of matboard to the left upper corner of the paper, and two L-shaped pieces of matboard to opposite corners of the lino block, making sure the block sits very snug in them with no movement, and thats it.

The block is inked away from the registration board and then placed carefully inside the L's.

I cut all the papers to have a square edge at the left top (back side up). Place the left top corner in the paper L while holding the page up, keep the edge snug in the L and carefully lower the paper onto the inked block in one smooth movement. The photo shows me doing this with one hand, but only because the camera is in the other, I use left hand to hold it down and right to lower the paper. You may want to do it the other way around...

Wipe softly with your hand to engage the paper with the inked block and then proceed to print.

As you can see I also tape the matboard strips with masking tape or brown packaging tape as extra security, and because I was in too big a hurry to wait for the glue to dry properly!

This method works fine for fairly small editions, but I've found that after about 70 or so impressions, (7 colour reduction, edition of 10) the matboard becomes worn and some movement occurs, and you may need to replace the L's if it happens. I also re-use the board, simply pull the L's of and glue new ones down for the next print.

Good luck and show us what you are doing!

Annamie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Dublin

Hails from Ireland

Fantastic, thank you so much for your replies!

I do have a press actually, as I realised this was something I wanted to continue doing... bought it from a reference through here actually!!

I did a trial run last night - basically, I taped a small 'L' shaped bit of card on 3 edges of my lino and the same on my paper... I got 2 out of 8 that were spot on.... not a great ratio, but I guess I need time to get it right, and get into a routine of doing it. Also, I rought cut my paper instead of making sure they were all the same sizes which was really silly and a bit lazy of me.

Inugie, am currently based in London, but moving back to Dublin and home within the next 2-3 months, can't wait!!! We're moving Rathmines way, but it's good to know there is a fellow-printmaker out there. Thanks so much for the pictures, they will really help - I will have a proper sit down and read through that within the next few days and might get back to you if I need clarification if that's ok!

Starkeyart, thanks so much for the links, they will be really helpful and again will have a look through when I get the chance next week!

Thanks all