WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Northern California

Hails from United States
Charging Sales Tax at a Craft Fair?

Hi everyone,

I just participated in my first craft fair and I noticed I seemed to be the only vendor displaying a sign about charging sales tax. Do others here charge this tax when going to shows? It's my understanding that if I have a seller's permit then I must charge the festival location's current tax rate and notify my customers beforehand.

Does this sound right? What do other people do at shows?

Thanks for any advice.

Jenny
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Charging Sales Tax at a Craft Fair?

Yes you need to charge tax but many include it in their price and later figure out what your total sales were and deduct the tax for your purposes. Where I attend your permit must be available on site as well if anyone asks.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

You'll need to check with your city and state what the regulations are - from things I've read on Etsy the rules vary extremely from area to area in the USA. Also, some allow you to work like Candy has said but some states specifically do not let you work that way - apparently you have to disclose the tax rate or something.

Do you have a local small business association or tax office where you could ask? Maybe wherever you got your business registration from? Or ask where you are registered for collecting tax? to see if they know how it works if you're selling in other cities/states?

Tina.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I always include tax in my pricing and post a sign stating that. I'm required to collect and pay sales tax (I'm in Texas), but it's easier to just include it. Years ago, a tax expert advised me to write "Sales tax included" on every receipt, which I do. Makes everything nice and legal.

I've noticed that some shows are very serious about following the law -- requiring you to display your Tax I.D. number, etc. -- and some shows are less so. Same story with the vendors. I've often noticed vendors, at the next table, not collecting tax.

Legally, an investigator could pop into any show, at any time, to be sure the law is being complied with. I'm not sure why so many artists and show organizers are willing to risk non-compliance.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
N. Idaho

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelady
Also, some allow you to work like Candy has said but some states specifically do not let you work that way - apparently you have to disclose the tax rate or something.
People do that here as well, simply write "tax included" on the receipt. I've been told that isn't acceptable and that one must show the tax. We are also required to post our permit in a visible place. But as Tina mentioned, this may vary from State to State.

My solution (because I don't want to deal with coins) is to label all work with the final price, -an even amount. I keep a list with my receipt book that shows the actual price of the piece before tax which I have figured out beforehand. By looking on the list I can see the item labeled final price $445.00 for instance is actually $419.81 plus $25.19 tax. That will be how I write the receipt, showing the tax, and coming to my total of $445.00.

It makes for some strange base prices, but my customers don't seem to mind. The only comments I've had on this practice so far have been positive ones.

Up here, we have had the State people come around (On weekends) checking for compliance. They've made people show their permits or pack up and go. Lots of unhappy campers!

Last edited by V.Bleile : 09-28-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: addition
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Northern California

Hails from United States

Thank you all for these very helpful responses. It's given me a lot to think about and I will definitely think about including this tax in the sticker price if I can.

I was just worried that I was doing something wrong because a lot of vendors looked at my tax sign strangely when they came to visit and I noticed their booths had no signage. They must have already figured the sales tax into the price before coming to the show.

Thanks again.