WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Grumbacher Flake White oil paint Discontinued – temporary

Grumbacher has stopped production of their Flake White Pre-Tested oil paint that is made from PW1 basic lead carbonate and PW4 zinc white. Grumbacher will re-introduce their Flake White which will still contain lead (PW1) in early 2010. This paint has already dried up on some art sites. Jerry’s no longer offers it and DickBlick is while supplies last.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Simi Valley, California

Hails from United States
Re: Grumbacher Flake White oil paint Discontinued – temporary

Weren't there problems with this paint? I thought I'd read either here, or another forum, of artists wanting to return unsatisfactory Flake White made by Grumbacher.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

There were some people reporting problems with their Flake White going back some months. In particular that it wasn’t drying properly. Grumbacher (Chartpak, Inc.) mentioned they are upgrading the safety of their manufacturing of their Flake White in addition to acquiring a new source for the PW1 pigment. I’m glad Grumbacher is making a commitment to Flake White.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 01:40 AM

I have had quite a few tubes of this, and the main fault is that it yellows quite a bit. Grumbacher's GEL medium also yellows quite a bit. It also isn't as opaque as the lead white I got from Astoria.

Of course, the other flake whites I've used were ground in lighter oils like walnut and safflower which makes the yellowing of Grumbacher seem a bit more reasonable. I particularly like W&N's Cremnitz White, but am not so sure about safflower's paint film.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:33 PM

I've had some bad problems with this paint. Drying in the tubes, yellowing like crazy, smelling like rotten fish, never drying. I used to use it all the time, and just my luck, when I bought a bunch to stock up I got a really bad batch. They haven't returned my correspondence. This thread reminded me of it - I have 60 bucks worth of bad paint to return!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition
Of course, the other flake whites I've used were ground in lighter oils like walnut and safflower which makes the yellowing of Grumbacher seem a bit more reasonable. I particularly like W&N's Cremnitz White, but am not so sure about safflower's paint film.

W&N Cremnitz also gets my thumbs up.
It's much better than their Foundation white, which in my own tests not only went quite yellow, but also after a bit of aging became notably brittle.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM

the yellowing I'm talking about was not due to their choice of mixing oil, and the slight yellow tinge that linseed oil tends to impart to a white paint. The paint itself turned markedly yellow - it looked like a 50/50 mix of yellow ochre and lead white. Naples yellow, almost.

WN cremnitz is nice, it's bright, too. I might start using this mixed 50/50 with their titanium for my all purpose white.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2009, 10:12 PM

I also noticed that strong yellowing from a paint swatch I made a long time ago. The other whites are positively angelic in comparison. But, only one of the others was ground in linseed, and it was cold-pressed and did also yellow quite a bit, although not as much as the Grumbacher.

I got a tube of Harding's Chinese Vermilion genuine a long time ago and the oil in it was brown and runny. The paint is so brownish it's almost like an iron oxide red. The rest of the paint I've gotten from Harding has been really good. Also, only that tube was marked "alkali refined linseed". The rest were cold pressed. Strange...

Last edited by superstition : 09-26-2009 at 10:14 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Grumbacher has changed their technical support contact apparently. In the past Grumbacher gave me an email address and toll free number to an individual that answered their tech questions. When I contacted Grumbacher regarding their Flake White recently, I used the old contact but was replied by a different email. Those of you that have had past problems and have not had your issues resolved may want to re-contact Grumbacher again.

This contact is from the emails I recently received.

Chartpak, Inc.
Education Department
education@chartpak.com
800-628-1910 ext 267

Check out our newest website! www.Grumbacherart.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2009, 09:24 PM

Well, these tubes are very old, so I have no idea if there have been improvements. A friend did use a more recent tube recently and the color seemed to be OK. My friend, who uses Grumbacher, has never had drying problems but she paints alla prima (doesn't wait for layers to dry).

Last edited by superstition : 09-27-2009 at 09:26 PM.