WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Alternative Materials, and Other Media
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK

Hails from England
What is the best way to stick gravel/stones onto canvas

I was just wondering what was the best way to stick gravel small stones onto stretched canvas? I want it to stick on firmly and not for it to start dropping off. I need a permanent fix. Would PVA glue do?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: What is the best way to stick gravel/stones onto canvas

Just personally, I'd be more inclined to use a heavy bodied acrylic medium or molding paste than PVA glue. The glues are great, but most have a thinner consistency and are better suited to paper. You could also think about silicone caulk.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2009, 01:10 AM
North Brunswick, NJ

Hails from United States

There is a glue called "Little Welder" that works great. I attach glass pieces, stones, etc. all the time to canvas in my work and I have not had a problem with them falling off later.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Maybe you have already worked this out, but as a mosaic artist I thought I could add something to this. You can't beat silicone because it stays flexible. To adhere individual stones to canvas, just dab a bit on the back of each stone. If you are covering a significant area with tiny stones, the flexibility is even more important. Work in small areas, spreading the silicone with a popsicle stick or other throw away item. Then press the stones into it gently. That way there is little chance of them popping off even if the canvas is accidentally flexed.

Everything you can imagine is real.
--Pablo Picasso
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Ottawa, Canada.

Hails from Canada

The best and safest way is using "Gloss Gel Medium" from Golden Paints or from any other supplier. It is archival. I stick stones, gravel, pop cans, heavy metal pieces, etc.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Dark
There is a glue called "Little Welder" that works great. I attach glass pieces, stones, etc. all the time to canvas in my work and I have not had a problem with them falling off later.

Hello there! I was just wondering if the back-side of the glass piece needs to be roughened befor the glue attempt is made? I have stained glass sheets I'll be breaking soon to apply to canvas. And I have a few 3" x 3" pieces of heavier fused glass pieces to apply as well...
Would "Little Welder" hold weightier pieces?