WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Alternative Materials, and Other Media
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Spokane, Washington (on the east side, not the Seattle side!)

Hails from United States
Question Adhering fabric to canvas . . . ?

I want to try doing some paintings using fabric and acrylics on stretched canvas. What is the best medium to adhere fabric to canvas? I'm using Modge Podge, but I'm not sure how age will affect it. Is there something better? Also is there a clear coat with UV protectant that could be used over the finished painting?

Thanks, everyone!

Annie
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2009, 06:28 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Adhering fabric to canvas . . . ?

The acrylic paint your using.
Acrylic soft gel Gloss.
PVA glue... preferably archival non yellowing used by bookbinders.

There all come in useful
enjoy.

Webpage
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by annielovesart
I want to try doing some paintings using fabric and acrylics on stretched canvas. What is the best medium to adhere fabric to canvas? I'm using Modge Podge, but I'm not sure how age will affect it. Is there something better?

An acrylic medium is probably best, any sort will do. PVA (white glue) is fine too but most types of PVA remain water soluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annielovesart
Also is there a clear coat with UV protectant that could be used over the finished painting?

You can use an acrylic medium again, acrylic has good UV protection. Varnish is the proper thing to use though. A few artists apply a coat of medium then when dry a coat of removable varnish. Be sure to use a varnish for acrylic paintings not oil paintings.

Mark
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Dunlap, Tenn

Hails from United States

Okay, this is what I DO. Most of my paintings have fabrics attached and some are thick. The only thing that works BEST (for many reasons) is Novaplex #233 or #235. I like #235 best. You have to order it from Novacolor in California. If Elmer's glue gets damp or wet, it softens and it takes a lot more of it for the thicker fabrics. Novaplex is thin and I paint it right through the fabric, use push pins to hold fabric in place and when it dries you can't get it separated from the canvas. If you use a thin crawly fabric, like lame, you need to spread it with some latex gloves (the lame) and put the pins in, then watch it (come back after ten minutes or so) and move the pins until it is very smooth and flat.
C&C always welcome
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Spokane, Washington (on the east side, not the Seattle side!)

Hails from United States

Thank you, all, for the quick answers! I wondered about acrylic mediums, but wasn't sure if they were okay for fabric. Bev, I think I will try some of the Nova Color medium. Also we're have a Art Materials show here in Spokane soon and I hope to talk to somebody from Golden then.

Happy creating!!

Annie