WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
St Kitts (Caribbean)

Hails from St Kitts and Nevis
DOG BREED PROJECT: Aug 26 - Siberian Husky

Welcome back to the Dog-breed-every-other-week Project!
For general information on this Project and a listing of previous breeds please look here!

SIBERIAN HUSKY
Dogs of the North!

From the AKC:
A Look Back (From Wikipedia):
The Siberian Husky, Samoyed, and Alaskan Malamute are all breeds directly descended from the original "sled dog." In this breed of canine, the word "husky" is a corruption of the derogative term "Eskie" which was also shared by the Inuit tribes discovered by Europeans who made early expeditions into their lands. By standard, Huskies are not burly, thick, fat, or overweight. The word "Siberian" in this breed's name is derived from Siberia itself, because it is thought that Eskimo or sled dogs were used to cross the land bridge of the Bering strait on the way into, or out of, Alaska, though this theory is continuously disputed by scholars.

On February 2, 1925 Gunnar Kaasen was first in the 1925 serum run to Nome to deliver diptheria serum from Nenana over 600 miles to Nome. This was a group effort comprised of several sled dog teams and mushers. The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race commemorates this famous delivery.

In 1930 the last Siberians were exported as the Soviet government closed the borders of Siberia to external trade. The same year saw recognition of the Siberian Husky by the American Kennel Club. Nine years later the breed was first registered in Canada.

General Appearance
The Siberian Husky is a medium-sized working dog, quick and light on his feet and free and graceful in action. His moderately compact and well furred body, erect ears and brush tail suggest his Northern heritage. His characteristic gait is smooth and seemingly effortless. He performs his original function in harness most capably, carrying a light load at a moderate speed over great distances. His body proportions and form reflect this basic balance of power, speed and endurance. The males of the Siberian Husky breed are masculine but never coarse; the bitches are feminine but without weakness of structure. In proper condition, with muscle firm and well developed, the Siberian Husky does not carry excess weight.

Size, Proportion, Substance
Height--Dogs, 21 to 23˝ inches at the withers. Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers. Weight--Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds. Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds. Weight is in proportion to height. The measurements mentioned above represent the extreme height and weight limits with no preference given to either extreme. Any appearance of excessive bone or weight should be penalized. In profile, the length of the body from the point of the shoulder to the rear point of the croup is slightly longer than the height of the body from the ground to the top of the withers.

Head
Expression is keen, but friendly; interested and even mischievous.
Eyes almond shaped, moderately spaced and set a trifle obliquely. Eyes may be brown or blue in color; one of each or parti-colored are acceptable.
Ears of medium size, triangular in shape, close fitting and set high on the head. They are thick, well furred, slightly arched at the back, and strongly erect, with slightly rounded tips pointing straight up.
Skull of medium size and in proportion to the body; slightly rounded on top and tapering from the widest point to the eyes.
Stop--The stop is well-defined and the bridge of the nose is straight from the stop to the tip.
Muzzle of medium length; that is, the distance from the tip of the nose to the stop is equal to the distance from the stop to the occiput. The muzzle is of medium width, tapering gradually to the nose, with the tip neither pointed nor square.
Nose black in gray, tan or black dogs; liver in copper dogs; may be flesh-colored in pure white dogs. The pink-streaked "snow nose" is acceptable.
Lips are well pigmented and close fitting.
Teeth closing in a scissors bite.

Neck, Topline, Body
Neck medium in length, arched and carried proudly erect when dog is standing. When moving at a trot, the neck is extended so that the head is carried slightly forward.
Chest deep and strong, but not too broad, with the deepest point being just behind and level with the elbows. The ribs are well sprung from the spine but flattened on the sides to allow for freedom of action.
Back--The back is straight and strong, with a level topline from withers to croup. It is of medium length, neither cobby nor slack from excessive length. The loin is taut and lean, narrower than the rib cage, and with a slight tuck-up. The croup slopes away from the spine at an angle, but never so steeply as to restrict the rearward thrust of the hind legs.
Tail
The well furred tail of fox-brush shape is set on just below the level of the topline, and is usually carried over the back in a graceful sickle curve when the dog is at attention. When carried up, the tail does not curl to either side of the body, nor does it snap flat against the back. A trailing tail is normal for the dog when in repose. Hair on the tail is of medium length and approximately the same length on top, sides and bottom, giving the appearance of a round brush.

Forequarters
Shoulders--The shoulder blade is well laid back. The upper arm angles slightly backward from point of shoulder to elbow, and is never perpendicular to the ground. The muscles and ligaments holding the shoulder to the rib cage are firm and well developed.
Forelegs--When standing and viewed from the front, the legs are moderately spaced, parallel and straight, with the elbows close to the body and turned neither in nor out. Viewed from the side, pasterns are slightly slanted, with the pastern joint strong, but flexible. Bone is substantial but never heavy. Length of the leg from elbow to ground is slightly more than the distance from the elbow to the top of withers. Dewclaws on forelegs may be removed.
Feet oval in shape but not long. The paws are medium in size, compact and well furred between the toes and pads. The pads are tough and thickly cushioned. The paws neither turn in nor out when the dog is in natural stance.
Hindquarters
When standing and viewed from the rear, the hind legs are moderately spaced and parallel. The upper thighs are well muscled and powerful, the stifles well bent, the hock joint well-defined and set low to the ground. Dewclaws, if any, are to be removed.

Coat
The coat of the Siberian Husky is double and medium in length, giving a well furred appearance, but is never so long as to obscure the clean-cut outline of the dog. The undercoat is soft and dense and of sufficient length to support the outer coat. The guard hairs of the outer coat are straight and somewhat smooth lying, never harsh nor standing straight off from the body. It should be noted that the absence of the undercoat during the shedding season is normal. Trimming of whiskers and fur between the toes and around the feet to present a neater appearance is permissible. Trimming the fur on any other part of the dog is not to be condoned and should be severely penalized.

Color
All colors from black to pure white are allowed. A variety of markings on the head is common, including many striking patterns not found in other breeds.

Summary
The most important breed characteristics of the Siberian Husky are medium size, moderate bone, well balanced proportions, ease and freedom of movement, proper coat, pleasing head and ears, correct tail, and good disposition. Any appearance of excessive bone or weight, constricted or clumsy gait, or long, rough coat should be penalized. The Siberian Husky never appears so heavy or coarse as to suggest a freighting animal; nor is he so light and fragile as to suggest a sprint-racing animal. In both sexes the Siberian Husky gives the appearance of being capable of great endurance. In addition to the faults already noted, the obvious structural faults common to all breeds are as undesirable in the Siberian Husky as in any other breed, even though they are not specifically mentioned herein.

(The summary above is from the website of the American Kennel Club. If you are part of a different Kennel Club and your breed standards differ in any way please PM me and I'll happily add the information! ~ Boots)

From the RIL:

From Wikipedia Creative Commons:

Heterochromic husky:

Huskies at work!

This is a husky/malamute cross - what a cute pic!!

Enjoy!

~~ Pam~~
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
edmonton alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: DOG BREED PROJECT: Aug 26 - Siberian Husky

heres my attempt

vanessa
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

Hey Vanessa thats a beauty! Love the coloring! makes for beautful shadow and conveys the cold! Not to mention Northern lights!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
edmonton alberta

Hails from Canada

thank you

vanessa
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast
USA - East Coast

Hails from United States

Yippee, huskies! I just sent you several really nice pictures of huskies (mine & a friend's) I do hope you will add them to the choices here. (Sorry for the delay, I had to wait for permission from my friend to use hers)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast
St Kitts (Caribbean)

Hails from St Kitts and Nevis

Some additional images from Pat! Thanks!
(There is a limit on number of images that can be posted which I've apparently never breached before.. but that is why these are posted separately from the initial post above, FYI):

~~ Pam ~~
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Birmingham

Hails from United Kingdom

Here's my go. It's my first attempt at acrylics, my usual medium is graphite and cp. It was a very steep learning curve and I still need loads of practise but it was fun. Sorry about the bad scan.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast
USA - East Coast

Hails from United States

Very nice, Michelle! Love those blue eyes, you captured her expression nicely.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Birmingham

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks Pat for the kind comments. There was a point I nearly chucked it, but it seemed to come together at the end.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Cleveland, OH

Hails from United States

I will be drawing a stratchboard art of my lovely Anna, who Pat has posted of her on here - the pretty girl in the snow with snowflakes falling. It is my absolute favorite of her, along with so many pictures I have of her. so hopefully soon sometime I'll have it done.. I would love to see any of the talented people on here to paint a portrait of her!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast
USA - East Coast

Hails from United States

Hi Rachel! Good to see you found your way here. Yes, that is an awesome picture of Anna, thanks for letting us use it.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

I have 3 picked out that I really like...hope to do one this weekend.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Cleveland, OH

Hails from United States

Thank you.. of course, here's a few more of Anna.. as I'm looking through for photos of her, it's making me to miss her. Next month will be a year after I had to let her go to the Rainbow Bridge. I can't believe it.

Anyone is free to use the picture as a reference:

(My last picture of her last December of the winter, and it is one of my favorites)

We have this picture in a very tiny 3x5 framed on the fridge. I took this picture when we brought Rosie, the beagle home back in 01'..

They had such a strong bond. They looked after each other for a short period of time in Rosie's life.

Last edited by rmcbuckeye : 09-03-2009 at 08:25 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

This my pastel painting of the Siberian Husky. Done on Colorfix paper, with an assortment of soft pastels and pastel pencils - 8in x 12in

All critiques welcome.

Viv
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Sorry about the marks in the top left-hand corner.
No idea where they came from but they're definitely not in my painting!
Viv