WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2009, 02:33 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Question Binder difference in watercolor pencils, water soluble crayons/pastels?

A question got raised in another thread about the technical difference between watercolor pencils and watercolor crayons / pastels. The specific product raising the question is Neocolor II's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedawg

Does anyone out there know for certain if the composition of the colour component in watercolour pencils is different from the Neocolor II pastels in any meaningful way?

So I thought I would make a thread to bring attention to this!

FIRST though, I want to show concrete proof that Neocolor II were at one time named and marketed as CRAYONS.

They are now called WAX PASTELS.

My personal theory is that it is all marketing, whether it be to expand into the pastel art market or because crayons, at least in the U.S. are things children use.

There is stunningly little online defining the difference in the binder of watercolor pencils vs crayons. Likely this is seen as proprietary information (product formulas and ingredients) and so little is publicly available.

And just to make it more confusing, there are some water soluble pastels that are a more true pastel, than than the Neocolor II's. A few years ago for a demo thread over in the Watercolor Learning Zone, I did a little experiment comparing two brands of water soluble crayon and one brand of water soluble pastel (post #17)

What I think we can agree on is that the Neocolors are a softer, waxier product -- call it crayon or pastel -- than a watercolor pencil. I do notice that the pastels/crayons tend to be called water soluble, as opposed to the pencils which use the term watercolor. Or does anyone out there have products differently labeled?

My use of watercolor pencils makes me think that the "lead" of the pencil is akin to pan or cake watercolor. But this may be the wrong assumption.

So back to the original question: What is the technical difference in the binders used in watercolor pencils vs water soluble crayon? And as Walter (charliedawd) suggests, what is meaningful in the difference?

Jen
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Binder difference in watercolor pencils, water soluble crayons/pastels?

Jen,

According to Mark Gottsegen, ordinary wax crayons are simply pigments or dyes in paraffin and stearic acid wax. In English-speaking countries, the word 'crayon' tends to be associated with such products, rather than fine art materials, so for marketing purposes European firms that may in their home (non-English) markets be happy with the term, are now realising that success in the US and UK will be associated with more up-market terms, like wax pastels.

Water-soluble wax pastels (or whatever) are pigment in a water-soluble (or -dispersible) wax binder. They handle like a hard oil pastel in the dry, but will dissolve or disperse when water is added, allowing washes etc. as you might using solvent with a conventional oil pastel. Caran d'Ache also, of course, make conventional (and very good) oil pastels too.

Watercolour pencils can use water-soluble dispersions of oil, soluble soaps, and fatty acids, but can instead use a water-gum binder, more like watercolours. However they are considerably harder, and as a pencil are encased in a wooden sleeve. So some can be closely related to water-soluble wax pastels, others more to watercolour paints.

Howard.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Howard,
I much appreciate the reply! It is the feeling of the water-gum binder that gives the association I have with pan watercolors and watercolor pencils. Yes, I can see that in countries where crayons are not seen as a fine art material, the use of wax pastel might garner more serious attention.

Jen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

Interesting info, Howard! Thanks for posting.

Jen... Since some brands in general and Caran D'Ache in particular make both great watercolour cp and op, you should perhaps just contact them and see if they can give away any info on the ingredients they use. If you do, let us know what they said!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
St Andrews, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Hi Lyta

I contacted Caran D'Ache by e-mail yesterday - no response so far