WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2009, 10:46 AM

How to hang 6'w X 3'h canvas?

I just finished stretching a 6 ft wide x 3 ft high canvas print, now I need to hang it on the wall. The piece weighs about 12 pounds - no frame, just the canvas gallery wrapped onto 2" stretchers, with 2 vertical cross bars.

Any suggestions on how best to hang this? I'm afraid a simple wire across the back may just pull out over time, and may not hang flat against the wall.

Thanks!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Re: How to hang 6'w X 3'h canvas?

Here is the stretched print:

I'm pretty happy how it turned out, it is the largest print I've done yet.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Clinton, MA

Hails from United States

You could still use wire. Frame wire comes in various gauges, so you just need one that's beefy enough for your frame. If it's only 12 lbs., that's pretty light and shouldn't be a problem.

As for getting the wire flush, you have 2 choices that I know of.

First, you can use "eye" screws, but screw them into the inside surface of the stretcher bars, not into the back. Then run the wire between the eye screws. This will work fine and will allow the painting to lie flush against the wall. Just don't make the wire too tight, or you won't be able to pull it out far enough to go over the hanger (whatever you're putting in the wall for the picture to hang on).

Second. you can use d-rings instead of eye screws and screw them to the back of the stretchers. The d-rings don't stick out as far as eye screws and might be good enough for your intended use.

Hope that helps.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
North Brunswick, NJ

Hails from United States

That's a great idea with using D-rings instead of eye hooks!

But back to the question, I had a piece that was very similar detentions. What I did was instead of using a wire hanging method, I nailed two LARGE nails exactly level (using a level of course) about one foot apart from each other in the general middle of where the top of the piece would be. That way, you can hang it up on the wall, the two nails support it well, and you can move it about to center it freely without your cross support bar running in the way. I had mine hanging for several years this way, and did not encur any warping or the piece falling off the wall.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Clinton, MA

Hails from United States

You can also get heavier duty d-rings that take 2 screws instead of 1, but I wouldn't bother unless what you're hanging is pretty heavy. D-rings can be used to hang from directly, too, instead of using a wire. As long as they're screwed in at the exact same place on both sides of the back, it should align. The trick with that is getting the nails, screws or whatever you attach to the wall to also be level and to align with the d-rings.

BTW: I use d-rings exclusively. Eye-screws are cheaper but they stick out too far. I often put works in shows and I got sick of damage from eye screw contact with a frame or glazing from being stacked during transit or hanging.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 AM

Thumbs up Re: How to hang 6'w X 3'h canvas?

Thanks everyone for all the comments. Steve, I too use only D-rings, as I don't like the protrusion of eyelets from the back of the picture, and it's too much work to try screwing them into the inside of the frame (and I risk messing up the stretched canvas).

Here is my piece in place:

Recall that it is 72W x 36H. I also had two vertical cross bars, giving me 4 vertical supports every 24".

I put a single-screw D-ring on each support, about 11" down from the top. I threaded a single wire through all 4 D-rings, with enough slack so that the wire, when mounted on hooks would look something like this: |^|-|^| where the vertical lines are the vertical bars of the frame. Because only a single wire is used, I could adjust the level of the picture without having to have the two mounting hooks perfectly level.

I only wish I had gone up a notch in strength of the mounting hooks I used on the wall. Once hung, the picture is okay, but during the hanging/leveling process, those hooks undergo extra stress.

(Oh, and when you are buying D-rings, I found them at Target for about 1/5 the price of Home Depot.)

Thanks again for the comments and input!