WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Virginia

Hails from United States
Old Red Barn

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Old Red Ba<br>
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9X12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Work assignment using only 1 inch flat to loosen me up. I did this from memory, no photo! I wanted to create something unusual so I painted over a practice piece leaving some of the old color in the new painting. The upper left looked unfinished but then I thought it looked like a storm coming down the hill toward the ba<br> bringing rain, so I left it alone.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is it too busy? Any comments are appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States
Re: Old Red Barn

I like the way you vary the colors in the different forms. Is it too busy? I think yes in the foreground. You've handled that with patches of color which don't read right to me. Otherwise, the "degree of busyness" looks fine.

Two other points. The colors are awful bright for an old barn. And the perspective of he barn is substantially off. Note how the roof line is lower on the left than on the right and now the three openings seem to face the viewer while the ones on the right should be oblique.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States

I like the lively colors you have used here. Agree with what TG posted above. The other thing I'd like to see is perhaps a stronger value shift from the light side of the barn to the dark side. That would also include the foreground detail.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Virginia

Hails from United States

The camera brought out the red for some reason. I didn't use a flash. the painting is much more muted on the barn. I guess I should have brought the right side of the roof lower. The light is from directly overhead so there is not much shadow. Thanks all for the help!