WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States
Two more monsters in the new family size

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Two more monsters in the new family size
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 5x7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted Godzilla with Windsor and Newton Artisan water soluble oils. Phooey. They take a week to dry and they stay so wet that wet on wet techniques tend to be overly wet. I'm mailing them to a nephew. The young have more time to wait.<br><br>I've got nothing against turps but I'd like to use water solubles for plein air stuff. I've ordered a sample set of Holbeins. The Japanese may be a patient race but not (they claim) in their paints.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States
Re: Two more monsters in the new family size

Wow TG.. I like them both but especially the second one.. Dracula I presume.. I have not painted in oils for years but the water soluble ones sound interesting. I will not however go listen to the Monster Mash song again for awhile. I had that song stuck in my head all day and visions of your paintings going round and round. Too bad I couldn't market my mental images! You'd be rich! hahaha
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Northern BC

Hails from Canada

TG, I love the monsters!! second one I would have to agree with crazywoman is my favorite. Just wondering if you'd tried the Golden OPEN acrylics? They are acrylic but have a much longer working time than standard acrylic (which is about...10min? lol)...depending how thick it is layered on of course depens how long it takes to dry..but generally speaking you have hours of time to work with. I had been painting with acrylic but wanted to try using oils, i hesitated because of all the extras that would go along with it (terps) So when these came out I had to try them and so far I really like them! Just thought I would share!

Suvi
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Lilliput

Hails from United States

the fire in godzilla's mouth is really cool....or....make that hot...hahaha
but must agree....the second one is a lot scarier looking...good comp too....yd
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

Suvi
I'm generally happy to paint with oils. Acrylics are ok for little paintings (aceo size) but still don't look as good. But I hate to drag all the rigamarole of oils for plein air. I first tried Golden Opens about 8 months ago and it was instant love. But as I worked them more, particularly on panel (I don't use canvas while on the road) the thinness began to work against me. Put one brushstroke down, partial coverage; put second stroke down, it removes the first! So I luscious up plein air work by putting oil over the dried Open acrylics. I'm planning to try Holbein water soluble oils as soon as UPS shows up with my order.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Northern BC

Hails from Canada

TG. I am hesitant to go to oils so I have enjoyed the change from standard acrylic to the open, but maybe I will have to suck it up and try oils! The water soluble would definitally be the way to go however..

Let me know how the holbein paints work for you!