WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2009, 01:04 PM
A Local Legend
Grand Forks, BC Canada

Hails from Canada
THE SHUTTERBUG WEEKLY...June 27th - July 3rd

Well, the days, weeks and months just keep on rolling by, don't they? Already halfway through this year and the days are getting shorter now - dang!

I discovered this past week that one of my images from my weeds and wildflowers website has been "stolen" and is being used in an educational workshop to teach people about noxious weeds. It's a double-edged sword - this is one of the outfits I applied for a job with and while they didn't hire me, there may be another opportunity yet this summer, so ... do I call them on it or let it slide? From looking at this education package they have put together, it appears I am not the only one whose work was used from the Net.

I ran into the same controversy when I was in a class a few weeks ago ... the teacher was telling students to just take a picture from the Internet for their business cards - "if they are on the Net they are free to use". I climbed her frame on that one, for sure!

Am still looking for work ... along with about 14,000 other people in this city of 150,000. TG I still have my EI coming in - it helps but doesn't quite cover my basic living expenses. I have cut back yet again and the wild birds are not getting as much as they used to. I will go back to feeding them regularly in the winter months, but for now there is lots for them to eat so they are not going hungry.

Is anyone else having trouble with the Image Uploader? I can't seem to get it to work and am wondering about the settings on this new computer. I detest the Attachment tool, so have had to resort to off-site hosting, which is not a good idea, but didn't really see a good alternative right now.

Have been shooting a lot of weeds lately - its weed season here! June is wildflower month as well, so have added a lot to my image collection and am madly trying to get the website updated as well as filling in a lot of blank pages, but still miles to go. Its the kind of website that will never be finished as there are always more weeds and wildflowers to take pics of. YAY! (I think).

The Oxeye Daisies are blooming now - they are an invasive species here ...

I am still revamping my kitchen. The dishes are all washed and stored on the new shelves and I now have counter top to work on. The old kitchen cupboards are painted ugly black and I want to paint them white. Will see if the landlord will spring for a gallon of paint. My new shelves are white and I also got a new smaller table and some chairs from the second hand store and they are white. So it will all go nicely, eh?? Pics later when it all comes together

I am fighting a mouse infestation again. That time of year and I have the traps out and am catching several a day in the house. Had to rewash all my cutlery as they had a good time in that drawer - yuck. Have a junk drawer yet to clean out and did you know they really like those small packets of ketchup?????? What a mess! I destroyed a nest with six babies in it the other day. Made me feel awful but am not about to support their numbers.

I planted tomatoes and climbing beans this year and the voles got all the tomato plants and are now working their way through the bean plants. Two rows planted and started to grow (some quite large) then the voles discovered them and there are only 3 plants left. They seem to get a plant a night and I am at a loss about how to get rid of them. Any ideas??

All for now. Hugs going around - grab one for yourself and pass on what you don't need. Hope everyone has a great week!

Cheers,
Sue

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

Hails from United States
Re: THE SHUTTERBUG WEEKLY...June 27th - July 3rd

Hi there, Sue, we are sitting in Northern California, load out tomorrow. Not doing too much, went out wandering around a bit, found some quail and a Steller's Jay.

Getting rid of Voles
One chemical free and low cost solution is to trap the critters with mouse traps and peanut butter. Bait the trap and set it in the path or entrance to a hole. Cover the trap with a tall container such as an upside down plant container and place a rock on top to keep it weighted down. Putting a cover over the trap helps to prevent accidental triggering of the trap from larger animals such as squirrels, dogs, cats, etc. Do NOT let children go near any set traps! Check the traps daily to see if any were caught. Use disposable gloves when handling the traps if a critter has been caught. They can carry diseases so always use gloves and clean your hands afterwards. Never touch them with your bare hands.
Apply a natural repellent such as castor oil to the tunnels and holes to make the moles and voles want to go somewhere else. Castor oil lasts about 3-4 weeks, so you may need to reapply if you see more evidence of moles or voles in your yard. Read the castor oil label for safety precautions and dangers. Apply according to directions and keep away from children.

Found these two at the rest area yesterday. Have a good one, everyone.

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera. - Anonymous
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
North Vancouver, B C, Canada

Hails from Canada

A pair of real classics, Mary. All is well here as well right now.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Sue just wanted to comment on you'r mouse problem. I can't say my idea is helpfull but, if possible I have a suggestion. I live in the country sort of, too. I have mouse probs in the spring. My cat used to be very good at keeping them away. He is no longer around so, last time I lit incense in spots where I was sure the air would fill or carry to spots they might be able to come in from. Like under the sink or cupboards that lead to the interrior or attic of my house. I don't think they liked the smoke and I was able to fend them off in the spring and plug any area even outside they might enter. Hope this is a good suggestion.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2009, 11:47 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Those cars are beautiful Mary what a shine they have to them. I love oxeye daisies Sue we have them growing on the road verges and I would love some in my garden yet know that if I introduced them they would just take over.

I went to the Winter gardens over in Aberdeen and took some photos using my friend's proper camera.
The first is a cacti flower and the second is a close up of a cacti and I think it has an interesting almost abstract design to it.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 07:10 AM
North Vancouver, B C, Canada

Hails from Canada

Excellent images all in this thread. All is well here presently - including the weather.

This image I did in SOFT SNAP MODE and flash on SL (LOW FLASH) SETTING) and EV at MINUS 1.7.

My idea is to see how well flash and SOFT SNAP balance in daylight. Sadly I did pick up a small glare spot on the car in front of the subject. Also, I am interested to find a setting that will give a slightly softer look to a subject without resorting to filters and such.

Last edited by Cameraman : 07-01-2009 at 07:15 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
A Local Legend
Petaluma, California

Hails from United States

Hi everyone. We are back from our visit to DD, Kathleen's in Oregon. It was a wonderful time for all of us. The weather was great an all the kids enjoyed Kathleen's pool. Here are a few of my favorite shots.
Alex and Odin

Kathleen/Odin

Brothers handing off Odin

Odin in the pool with Alex, Michael, Chelsie and Evan

The new little family.

Bread that Frank and Isaac made.

There's nothing better than getting together with family.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

Gotta love parents that will name their kid "Odin." Glad you had a good trip, Maria.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Kelowna, BC

Hails from Canada

Sue did you go to the fireworks last night?
My daughter and I planted ourselves right across from the barge ... got some decent shots

haven't had much time to post .... been working 2 jobs .. ugh....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 PM
A Local Legend
Grand Forks, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

WOW, Ellie, that first one is awesome! I love fireworks!

Nope, didn't go. Thought about it, but I am not big on going out after dark by myself and have an aversion to fighting traffic I went in the opposite direction last night LOL

Were you on the west side of the bridge?

Two jobs???? Cripes, I can't even get one ...

I am shooting weeds and wildflowers now. Have exhausted the migratory birds so have switched to Passion Number Two. Have also redesigned my Weeds and Wildflowers website so have been busy with that almost non-stop for the past week. It's nowhere near back to where it was before, but I am getting there slowly but surely.

Was considering another trip to the dump - you into that? I'd also like to get up into some higher country for some different plants and maybe a few birds, too, that we don't see down here. Call me, okay???

Cheers,
Sue

Last edited by moccasin : 07-02-2009 at 09:31 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Kelowna, BC

Hails from Canada

yeah... two different transcription jobs.... I'll give you a call when I'm not swamped up to my EYE BALLS ok?

we were at tugboat bay on the wooden boardwalk ... about a half km from the osprey nest in the direction of the bridge... was such a fun atmosphere!

I'm not shooting anything but bugs in the yard when I drag myself off this computer.

anyway... happy shooting everyone.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

The website is looking great Sue!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 AM
California Gold Country

Hails from United States

Happy day before 4th of July everyone. I have been trying to get back here to say HI for days and days. I swear there is an evil plot to prevent me from having any sit down time during the day. Today isn't any different. Off in a few to go pick berries of some sort. Not really into picking berries in 90f+ heat but a friend wanted company so off I go. Sunscreen and Hat in hand. Then grocery shopping and various other errands that will keep me out in the melting heat for most of the day.
Really really really gonna try to get back here before the end of the day.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 11:44 AM
A Local Legend
Grand Forks, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeJamesK
The website is looking great Sue!

Thanks, James! It is definitely a work in progress. I am adding and tweaking constantly right now (in between bouts of running out and grabbing more and/or better shots of some.

I appreciate your feedback on it. Feel free to keep on checking and tell me anything that you think is broken or needs improving.

Cheers,
Sue