WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum > Critique Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Paint Out # 16 - There's a Draft in Here

Yikes!!! - that blue color of mine is electric looking in the digital...
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudesan
Wow this thread turned out to be a hot thread, all that sex and debauchery.
Did you bring your whip along JJ?
Nice one Kathleen ....I can't believe how tiny it is!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Montreal

Hails from Canada

Did a quick version last night in soft pastels, 11 X 14. I thought it would be challenge trying to depict the 'airyness' of it (and it was). I'm not that great at lines, but this barn had boards going every which way, a tilt here and there so it suited me just fine (perspective being less of an issue). Lenore, I think the size of the your barn is just right for the setting. By making it smaller and surrounding it with snow and mountains, you've managed to create a real mood of desolation and abandonment (chilly, chilly, chilly - would much rather seek refuge in Corby's barn). Sypderbabe, the addition of the foliage made it a whole other picture, a lot less stark. Really liked the warm colours contrasted against the blue of the barn - very impressionistic and nicely rendered. Sandra, still trying to figure out why naked people would choose to have a party in barn with no walls - nudist exhibitionists (or is that redundant?) And what are all those eyes peeping through the dark forest? The watchers! Corby, as usual, there is a certain warmth to your painting. Nice work on the space showing through the empty boards on the first floor (I had a lot of trouble with that). Dana, great detailed work on yours and have to agree that with the medium you used you really captured the state of that barn! The addition of the colour made it even better. Thank you Mack for an interesting subject...my first paint out.
Judith
Attached Images

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Silicon Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Nice reference photo! I'm very excited to tackle this.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Suva, Fiji

Hails from Fiji

Judith what a lovely drawing! I too struggled with those boards!! But you captured the whole essence of the reference pic.
Sandra and Spyderbabe think your pieces are fantastic too. This is my first paintout and I am enjoying the creativity, individual expression and the fun that everyone is having with it.
Can't wait for the next one!!!??
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

Thank you, JJ, Judith, Kathleen, for your comments. Of course, nudists exhibitionists....LOL...whips? OMG... haha...mooz, you crack me up. I remember one fine Sunday many years ago, I took my kids to explore new beaches on highway 1 north of the San Francisco area and didn't realize we would enter a nudist beach. We were halfway walking through when I saw two men walking around stark naked and only then realized that everyone lying on the sand was braless, strapless and bottomless and I had one baby, a toddler and a five year old and we couldn't walk away fast enough. It was so funny. I think since then, I became braver in thinking about naked bodies in the open air. American influence on my conservative Chinese mind. Yes, I was thinking of peeping wooded monsters....hahaha....Glad you noticed them.

Kathleen, good variety of foliage colors in the front and good background too.

Judith, your barn is really run down. It looked like it suffered a bit of fire damage! Neat colors.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Kathleen I like the blue glow of your barn. I'm betting yours is located in Roswell, NM.

Hi Judith, thanks for joining in. I really liked this reference. Your pastel painting is really good and the desolation shines through.

Hi Marianne, looking forward to seeing your version.

Sandra, that walk on the beach seems to have left quite an imprint on your mind,lol.............Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooz49
Did you bring your whip along JJ?
My whip! Oh where is my whip? Now wher ethe heck did I leave my whip, I took it with me when I left Corby's thread, let me think......Aaaaaaaaaah, I know!!! I left it in yd's thread. hang on I will just nip over................................

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Silicon Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Digital collage.

Last edited by mginsberg : 06-24-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Upload higher quality image
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 AM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

mginsberg, a very neat collage there with archival look.

Lenore, all my previous haunts and scary experiences are gradually coming through in my art. Gosh, don't know what I'd draw next.

I'm exploring what the Derwent tinted charcoal pencils could do for me today but added a Derwent blue watercolor pencil with wash today. I gave it a typhoon ravaged look in the tropics.

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Hi Marianne. Haven't seen you on in a while. Your painting reminds me of the early photos of the 1900's. I have a picture of an old hotel from up here at a ghost town that I want to paint, but haven't figured out how to approach it yet.

Sandra this is a different take on the reference. It amazes me what different artist's come up with.

Mack where are you at. Haven't seen you on in a while. I do hope all is well in your world..............Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2009, 03:26 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudesan
My whip! Oh where is my whip? Now wher ethe heck did I leave my whip, I took it with me when I left Corby's thread, let me think......Aaaaaaaaaah, I know!!! I left it in yd's thread. hang on I will just nip over................................
JJ ....my advice to you ....the next time you are in "that shop" .....you know the one I am talking about .....buy a couple of extra whips .....you never know when they may come in handy .....just sayin'

mginsberg .....really nice digital collage ....

Sandra .....where do you find the time!!?...and especially now that you are injured!! ...this one looks like it has been flooded ......
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2009, 05:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooz49
JJ ....my advice to you ....the next time you are in "that shop" .....you know the one I am talking about .....buy a couple of extra whips .....you never know when they may come in handy .....just sayin' ...
What shop? What are you suggesting woman?

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

I'm really enjoying the variety of mediums and interpretations on this one!
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 PM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States

very exciting and original versions, every one. I am still roflol over MRSBB's 'Roswell NM' comment! Way to go Spyderbabe!