WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Totobobo dust mask review

Hi Folks,

Recently, based on a thread started by Paula Ford, I purchased the Totobobo dust mask. I thought I would share my review.

The first thing I noticed was that there seemed to be more air coming through the Totobobo mask than the previous mask that I have been using (3M #8210). In fact, I took the mask off to check and make sure the filters were in place, because there was no noticeable decrease in air flow! (Yes, the filters were in place!) The mask seems lighter, too.

The straps were more comfortable than the 3M #8210 mask, and even better, they are adjustable. You can tighten or loosen them with a little clip that is attached to the strap.

The mask seems to do a fine job - no coughing or clearing my throat after working with the pastels.

One of the nice things about it is that the filters detach and are replaceable, so the mask itself is more environmentally friendly. You only throw the filters away - not the entire mask. The filters will probably last a good long time, I guess I don't know how long yet! I've used it twice and the filters aren't dirty at all.

One thing that you might need to do, is make some "homemade adjustments" to ensure the mask is tight against the side of your nose - so that the air does not escape through there. Paula contacted Totobobo and was instructed to cut a filter in half and place a piece on either side of the nose. I ended up doing something different - I cut a small groove at the top of the mask for the bridge of my nose (which, apparently, is larger than the average totobobo mask user!). It worked fine, and when I wear the mask, it does not fog up my glasses!

So, that's my review and I definitely recommend this mask. I know many of you are hesitant about wearing a mask, and believe me, so was I. In fact, I pretty much had to give up pastels for about 20 years, only doing them occasionally and then stopping due to coughing issues. Finally, I decided that using a mask was something I could get used to - and I did. I think it would have been an easier decision if this mask had been available then. It seems very unobtrusive compared to the others.

If you are looking to get one, I highly recommend buying one here:

http://totoboboartistsmask.blogspot.com/

The service was excellent, delivery was quick, and Paula will answer any questions you may have!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Totobobo dust mask review

thank you for the great review!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Carol Conrad,Crossville, TN

Hails from United States

I totally agree with Don. I was fortunate to win one donated by Paula in the raffle held at the WC Party in Albuquerque (or rather my hubby did - and I claimed it!). It's extremely comfortable, does not fog up my glasses and fits well. The only thing I would caution is.... don't wear it within one hour of being seen in public, because I find it leaves quite noticeable depression marks on my cheeks after I remove it. It may be that I tighten it too much in my efforts not to let any dust in, but it doesn't feel too tight.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the review Don. I just placed my order.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2009, 06:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonlass
I totally agree with Don. I was fortunate to win one donated by Paula in the raffle held at the WC Party in Albuquerque (or rather my hubby did - and I claimed it!). It's extremely comfortable, does not fog up my glasses and fits well. The only thing I would caution is.... don't wear it within one hour of being seen in public, because I find it leaves quite noticeable depression marks on my cheeks after I remove it. It may be that I tighten it too much in my efforts not to let any dust in, but it doesn't feel too tight.

Carol, I was wondering who won the mask!!

If it is making marks on your face, then it needs to be repositioned. That happened to me at first. Make sure your face is totally relaxed with your mouth closed and gently position the mask so there are no pressure points. Also, you may be wearing it too tight. Loosen up the straps because the mask is going to stick naturally to your skin. If you have dry skin, apply a bit of moisturizer, or a gel based moisturizer to your skin just before wearing the mask...it will stick like glue and you can loosen up those straps considerably.

Don, Thanks very much for your review and I'm so glad you like the mask.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast
BC

Hails from Canada

For those that don't just live in the USA here is the link to buy it worldwide.

http://totobobo.com/blog/?page_id=98
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast
Ashland, OR USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the review; it sold me, I just ordered one. I have not been painting with pastels for awhile now primarily because I find it hard to breathe when I work with them indoors. I am going to give this mask a try. Thanks.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast
Syracuse, NY

Hails from Costa Rica

This is the only mask I've been able to get used to. I had to cut it to the first mark for it to produce a good seal. Most important of all, is that it doesn't fog my glasses! Yeah!
It does leave marks on my face, so I'll have to learn to adjust it correctly.

As soon as I take it off, I'm aware of how much pastel is on and around me by just breathing (it's scary to think I was breathing all that dust before!), so next time I'll blow the pastel away with a fan before removing it.

Thank you Paula for sharing this great product with us! (I'm not associated with that company in any way )
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

You're welcome Adriana!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Highland, California

Hails from United States

I just ordered one. If anything it will keep me from blowing on my paintings!

Barry Keller - Pastel Society of the West Coast - United Society of Pastel Artists
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I used to do that too Barry. It's r-e-a-l-l-y bad!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

For those who may be interested, I took a photo of the mask with the cut I made for the bridge of my nose. I didn't start with the cut this large, I started smaller and made small additional cuts until it fit better. The material cuts easily with a regular pair of scissors.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery