WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States
Re: Photographs of Summer flowers

AMAZING photos here; I have spent the past couple of days going through all the pages and images and it's been a delight! Flowers remind us of the beauty and impermanence of life, and that's probably one of the big reasons we're all drawn to them.

Unless otherwise noted, all these photos were taken in Mystic, CT during May. In some cases, I've done minor adjustments to correct for gamma, saturation, etc. Please anyone feel free to use these images (or any on my picasa galleries) for references for your artwork (I'm not sure if that is assumed if one posts photos here, but just in case it's not I wanted to clarify).

I tried to research the names/identities of the flowers before putting them on my picasa gallery, but if anyone can provide information (additional, new or corrective) on any of them, I'd be hugely appreciative!

Camera: Nikon D40, 18-55mmDX lens

Enjoy!

Blue and white pansy

Bright pink azalea abstract

Magnolia blossom. Location - Newport, RI. April '09.

Blue and white bearded iris, cultivar unknown.

Common blue violet. These are in my backyard.

Azaelea/rhododendron flowers - detail.

I'm going to run out while the sun is out (we've been having a LOT of rain here this month) and take more pics today. It's completely addictive, as I can tell macdragon knows !

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Re: SonyaJ's flower pics

These are gorgeous, Sonya - especially that creamy white magnolia just begging to be painted!!!

Claire's Website and Blog
“The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” Pierre-Auguste Renoir
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcarnell
These are gorgeous, Sonya - especially that creamy white magnolia just begging to be painted!!!

Thank you, cbcarnell ! I'm glad you enjoyed them. The fragrance that the magnolia blossom gave off was delightful. Unfortunately, on the day we went to Newport (this beautiful tree was on one of the mansion properties), it was an overcast day, so the natural lighting was less than ideal. I loved the smooth, softly curving petals - the flowers look as if they were made of porcelain.

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Hi Sonya,
Great shots, love the Iris, Magnolia is way different to the one in my garden. I agree with the addiction thing, I got completely hooked, am now in withdrawal.
macd.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

Thanks, macd It's a real treat to see such lovely and exotic flowers that you have in your area. I think my head would explode if I went to Thailand - between the orchids and the amazing food, I'd be in a daze.

BTW, I'm sorry about originally posting these in your flower thread ! I was so caught up in seeing all the pics from different countries I thought they were from different people and that it was for anyone to post. My bad, and thanks to the mod for moving them.

Here are some more pics of some of the lovely flowers I've seen in neighborhood gardens:

Siberian iris

Unknown. This is from a large bush/tree and these large clusters of flowers casacade down. They are quite striking when viewed from a distance (and of course, I didn't get a pic of that... ). This was taken in downtown Mystic last week. Anyone know what this is?

Another flowering bush I don't have an identity on. The flowers were maybe 2cm in length? I should have taken a picture of the whole bush, but didn't. I'm finding myself more into the detail/abstract aspects when I'm out with my camera.

A side view of the flowers. They remind me of little bonnets.

"Dame's Rocket" - a flower native to New England (at least this is what I think it is). This was growing against my house, and there are several in the woods of our backyard. It forms seedpods that look like rice paper "coins", in which the small seeds are sandwiched.

I titled this photo "Frivolity". I just love irises, and this is about my favorite color of purple, so it was a win-win on all levels.

I titled this "Purple Iris Centerfold". I was pleased that I was able to coax this much detail from my zoom lens.

I titled this "Negative Space". Bi-color bearded iris from another neighborhood garden across the street from me.

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Hi Sonya,
Getting even better, Great Iris shots again, no problems whats-so-ever on posting in wrong place.

The flowers on the second picture look similar to honey loccus flowers, but I'm probably wrong on that I'm lousey on plant Identifcation.

Love the yellow Iris 'negative space' photograph, so many planes to that flower.
keep them coming.
macd.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Sonya

I'm currently painting a similar coloured Azaelea to the one you have posted in her.

Your photo has detail that my own reference Photos are missing. (I will make good use of this in my painting)

Thanks
Garry
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

macd - thanks for the kind words on my photos, and thank you for the clue in helping identify the hanging cluster of flowers as a locust tree. I think that's what it is, although the flowers aren't exactly like either the black locust or honey locust trees I could find. I thought the flowers looked like pea flowers, and those trees are indeed members of the pea family.
Garry - I'm glad my photos can assist in your azaela painting . I've added a couple others here in case you might find those helpful as well.

More bright pink azaelas

More of the larger pale pink rhododendron flowers.

More iris:

I titled this: "Quartet". I believe these are dwarf bearded irises.

Titled "Centerfold"

Titled "Highlights"

And the last of the yellow/white bearded iris macro shots - probably my favorite.

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 PM
A WC! Legend
a German living in Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Google Chinese Wisteria for your first mystery plant
the second one is Cytisus or also known as Broom

lovely photos and very tempting indeed

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

Kathrin - thank you so much for your help in identifying these! It's hard when you don't even know where to start looking .

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Sonya
Thanks for the extra reference photo.

P.S. I've now re-thought the way I now take my reference photos. But at the time, it was a happy snap, I never intended to make a painting out of it.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

hi Sonya
Yes the first mysterious plant is Wisteria your irises picts are gorgeous
Robert
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
A WC! Legend
a German living in Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyaJ
Kathrin - thank you so much for your help in identifying these! It's hard when you don't even know where to start looking .

you are very welcome it is a pleasure to look at your photos

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Immortalized
Lake Tapps, WA. USA

Hails from United States

Beautiful pics! thanks for sharing!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thanks for this feast for the eyes Sonja - they're beautiful ....... Kathrin beat me to the identification - but I think they're all named now - I'll try to add the names to the photos when I have a little time

Everyone - don't forget to rate the thread if you think it's good - also macd's roses frenzy

We're so fortunate to have these great photographic collections in our forum - we don't have to get wet or cold going over to the RIL!!!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**