Here's a series of pictures showing the progression of a commission I just finished. This is the first time I did a portrait at this size and I had a difficult time eyeballing the proportions to get the likeness.
The skin tones were also quite difficult because my only reference was a small digital photo emailed to me and the colors seemed a bit off. I ended up using a grayscale print out and relied on the tonal range to sculpt in the faces. The final flesh colors were decided on the fly.
The last picture was taken just before I varnished with a matte coat and I made the booboo of taking a picture with a small digital camera, hence the hotspots on some of the textured surfaces. I'll be wrapping it before going to bed and it'll be headed to the owner by tomorrow evening.