WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 08:17 AM

tiger in oil pastel

Hi
I am still trying to figure my way around and how to post, so hopefully this is the right spot.
I just finished ( I think) an oil pastel which is a tiger and will try to uplaod image. Please feel free to give your comments, the good the bad and the ugly. I really want to expand my knowledge in oil pastels which is not a lot. I have been just "winging it". Any comments or critiques will only help me in my learning process.
Thanks and have a great day.
paint4life
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 09:15 AM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States
Re: tiger in oil pastel

Hi pain4life and welcome to the OP forum.... This is a beautifully executed tiger. Great color, detail and fur texture. You might put a little highlight in the right eye, his left. I appears a little dull compared to the other one. What kind of OPs are you using? and what kind of paper? It looks as if it has a rough texture.

Pat
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast
hampshire

Hails from England

Hi pain4life you have painted an excellent tiger, the colours are fantastic.
Hope to see more of your work in the future.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 03:56 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

kute kitty.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 04:37 PM

Hi Pat
Thanks for the suggestion about his eye. I tried to make it appear as though his head is somewhat tilted and the light would reflect that eye more,but it's funny you should point that out because I wasn't sure if I should darken or lighten one of the eyes. I used Holbein,neopastel and grumbacher. The tiger is painted on a mounting board by LetraMax. It was fun to work on.
Hi Paul
Thanks for the wonderful comment and I will try and post some more of my work. I have only done 3 so far. Just started in oil pastels in April. My next project will be more of a challenge. I will be trying to pastel our Golden Retriever.
Thanks Hal
Oh I decided on a name for my tiger pastel. "COOL SOLITUDE"
Let me know what you think.
Thanks again all for taking the time.
paint4life
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 04:57 PM
WC! Guide
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Isaac
Hi pain4life ...Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul444
Hi pain4life

Hi, Paint4life, and Welcome to the Oil Pastel Channel and forums. I wanted to reassure you that both Pat and Paul are just bad typists and not grumps as their rendition of your name might suggest!

Your tiger is lovely and if you are just winging it, you seem to take naturally to flying, IMHO. It does have the most interesting textural effect. Could you tell us a bit more about that support?

In order to help you find your way around I'm going to give you some information below on how things are organzied:
Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS>

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of

Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill
DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! (Various)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 05:41 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Good name and I also would like to know more about that support.

Pat
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 06:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Hi, you have done a wounderful job on this, you have given him expression, i myself haven't even attempted to do animals yet, i cant wait to see your Golden Retriever! very nice op.

Sandra

"We could learn a lot from crayons... Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box"
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 PM

Hi Bill
Thanks for the wonderful comments and your guide to successfully getting around this site. It's huge and confussing. The tiger is my 3rd oil pastel ever done. My first was my daughters cat that had just passed away and I did an oil pastel of her. I will attempt to post. My 2nd is a Toucan but I still haven't decided what to do with the background so I will try and post it as well and any suggestions would be great.
Hi Sandra
Thanks so much for the kind comments. I really enjoy doing animals. You should try it.
Bill and Pat
All I can tell you about the support is this as it is listed on the label:
Letramax
Black On Black
Ultra-Thin Mounting Boards
Black through and through these boards bring out the best of your artwork, photographs,or prints. Mount or mat your work with this extra deep black board to provide the finishing touch to your work.
5 boards in package 11"x14".
I bought it not knowing if it would accept the pastel but it was very easy to work on. The only problem was with some colours I had to be careful,such as yellows turning blue/green. So I just put down darker colours first.
I bought them from an art store in Toronto,Ontario and want some more but larger. I have never attempted a large painting. Maybe my Golden??
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:18 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

This is a wonderful first OP, nice gesture, detail and texture. One problem with the yellows is they are very transparent and take several layers to get a good color. I usually let mine set up overnight and then when they are harder add more color.

Pat
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:32 PM
WC! Guide
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

You did an excellent job capturing the complex color pattern of the Calico!

Bill
DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! (Various)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast
hampshire

Hails from England

Paint4life, a lovely first op. you have captured the cat really well.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2009, 01:31 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Wow, an even kuter kitty kat.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

You are a natural with op and these two kitty paintings really show that. Both paintings are very nicely done.
Lend your ear to music, open your eyes to painting, and… stop thinking! Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to “walk about” into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes, what more do you want? -KANDINSKY, 1910-
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2009, 08:32 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Harrisburg, PA (almost!)

Hails from United States

Nice job on both cats! My only thing - the wild one is looking more friendly, then domestic one... I guess it all humans foult! They managed to make him (her?) hissy!