WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
L.I., New York

Hails from United States
Using Dr Ph Martin Watercolors

Has anyone used Dr Martin Inks or watercolors in their watercolor painting using a brush. I've worked with the inks before when airbrushing and I loved their brilliant colors. Do the hydra watercolors have the same brilliance? or should I stick with the inks? How to they work with conventional brushes?

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Prescott, AZ

Hails from United States
Re: Using Dr Ph Martin Watercolors

I am surprised you haven't gotten any replies yet!
Check this out:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ghlight=hydrus
MickeyJane uses tehm a lot.
I brrowed my friend's set and tried them out, but I didn't find them as brilliant and transparent as W&N or DS watercolors. Though MickeyJane LOVES about them! So it's personal preference...
Just add drops to your palette and dilute tehm to desired consistence and use them with a brush like normal!

Website . Blog . Facebook Page
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Naples, FL/Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

I used to use Dr. Ph. Martin's "Radiant Concentrated Water Color" (that's how the label writes it) on wet paper. In concentrated form they are WOW!!!! Bright!!!! They mix together on their own like a dream when put on already wet paper and they are FUN to work with that way. The Hydrus is not as vivid, however. I belonged to a painting group that worked in journals we made ourselves with Arches paper and then got bound by Office Max. We dropped the Dr. M's concentrated watercolor the way I described here and then did pen and ink work on top. There's a book by the title, "The Artful Journal" by Maureen Carey (who discovered the above method), Raymond Fox and Jacqueline Penney with many examples of works done with these watercolors.

Haven't tried them in more realistic work, but now you have me curious.......
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 AM
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Thanks Srishti and Judi for your really helpful comments. I think I'm going to try more contemporary looking work with these bright colors and not use them very conventionally.... Although that could be really interesting too! Now if I ever get the time to do some painting!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Bemidji, MN

Hails from United States

Oh, I really do love them and use them quite a lot!

I can't really think of much new to add that isn't in the link Srishti added above except that, while you're experimenting, try them on different types of paper. They work differently on each and you can get different effects accordingly

Have fun!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Central Kentucky - The Bluegrass region and Thoroughbred capital of the world!

Hails from United States

Hi,

Be aware that the Dr Ph Martin's liquid watercolors in the little bottles are first and foremost commercial products used by illustrators and graphic artists. Like all "Designer" products they have serious permanency issues. Investigate carefully before using them in any work requiring longevity.

John
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Bemidji, MN

Hails from United States

They have 'liquid watercolors' and the Hydrus watercolors, which are supposed to be lightfast. I can't say that I have any paintings that I've used them on that have been around more than a few years, so can't vouch for them myself - but I did find many other artists testaments to them. If you float around the blogosphere, there are many artists very dedicated to doing different 'tests' - especially for lightfastness - of artist products.

I don't see why they wouldn't be as lightfast - they use the same pigments as regular watercolors - just a much more liquidy binder.

I will admit that Handprint does not give them a good review - but, if you read further, he admits that he hasn't actually tested them and didn't really give any evidence for his negative viewpoint. That was a reminder to me that Handprint is really just one guy - who I appreciate, I really do - but still, a human and should be questioned like any other.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Bemidji, MN

Hails from United States

For what it's worth, I do have some paintings where I've used quite a bit of Hydrus paints that have been out and exposed for 3 years or better, no fixative or UV protection, and they don't look any different than they do in the original photos that I took.