WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States
Colored Pencils: oil-based vs wax-based

Ok, a little background. I work primarily with pen & ink and watercolor, but I have seen how I can improve my game with color pencils and as such I have been reading up on the various formats and brands. I already have a strong leaning towards Faber-Castell and the Polychromos brand looks good, except I cannot find out much about the strengths and weakness of oil-based pencils vs the strengths and weakness of wax-based pencils.

Here are a few things that I have run across trying to determine the characteristics of each type of colored pencil (without actually buying any...):

Wax-based Pros:
Inexpensive
Can be "erased" with sticky-tape

Wax-based Cons:
Requires a fixative
Has wax bloom issues

Oil-based Pros:
Soft, heavy application
No need for fixative

Oil-based Cons:
Expensive
Easy to smear (do we _really_ not need a fixative?)

It seems that wax-based color pencils are heavily, heavily favored and I cannot quite figure out why that is. And it worries me because I do not want to invest in the wrong set of pencils.

Anyhow, if someone could explain the pro's and con's of both, I would appreciate it. Feel free to ignore all of my second-hand observations - I made my list primarily to spark the discussion and to illustrate just how hard good information is to come by sometimes.

Thanks!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Colored Pencils: oil-based vs wax-based

Hi! I think every coloroed pencil artist struggles with this decission at some point. My first suggestion, if you have not already done so, would be to go to the colored pencil library...there is a wealth of info there.

As to the "best"...well that's hard to say. There are very many professionals who wouldn't think of using anything but the wax...then others who wouldn't think of using them.

Part of what makes the wax based pencils so strong here in the USA is the fact that they are often in open stock at local craft stores...

Many say they have no trouble with the wax bloom if they spray it with a fixative. I have had only one piece that gave me a problem after it was sprayed...so I buffed it again and resprayed it ...

The olorfast issue comes into play when picking the pencil brand...you can read more about this in the library.

The pencils you like working with the best is a very highly personal choice so I highly suggest you purchase a few of several brands and try them for yourself...While you would have to contend with the postage issue it may save you from making a mistake that would be very expensive to correct. There is nothing like touch, feel and see in real life...

Pam
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 PM
A Local Legend
england

Hails from England

it is so individual that I think you would be best to buy just 3 of each from open stock and experiment to see which 'feel' right. Try them on different kinds of paper.

For me it's definitely oil based. I sometimes use them alone, more often in mixed media work but they mix beautifully, are rich, don't suffer problems with bloom (you really don't want that if you sell work IMO - not good for your reputation!)

good luck

Online I have no problem buying open stock polychromos and some art shops sell them this way. I also like Lyra.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Burlington, IA.

Hails from United States

There are many artist that use both wax and oil based pencils in the same piece with no worrys at all. Different types and brands all work together beautifully. Wax bloom is a minor issue and is very easily managed.

"I work primarily with pen & ink and watercolor, "

Another thing you may want to take in to account is how much you will be using the CPs. The wax bloom problem occurs mostly on work that is 100% CP with heavy layering.

The only "wrong" CPs are the low quality student grade ones, like Crayola and Rose Art among others. As long as you use professional grade CPs and good quality paper, the rest is personal choice.

The best advice has already been give which is to buy a few of each and try them and reading articals in the CP library. I suggest getting a set of 12 of each type or brand that you are interested in and go from there.

Paula
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Burlington, IA.

Hails from United States

Something else that you may be interested in are the Derwent Inktense CPs. They are a water based watercolor pencil that is actually ink. When it drys it is permanent. It can also be used with out water.
Paula
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM

I was going to post this exact same question. I have been wondering for months now which I would buy-wax or oil based-if I could only buy one large set. I have Prismacolors and just recently bought a 24 pack of the cheap Walnut Hollow brand oil pencils. (I love the Derwent Drawing pencils and wanted to get colored pencils that feel the same way.) I love how smooth the Walnut Hollow pencils are and I think I will buy Polychromos or Lyra pencils.

I think though, a great suggestion was getting a few of many different kinds and trying them out. That way you can feel them on paper and board.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Hey Top! Welcome to the forum! Here is a similar thread that I started soon after joining the forum. It may have some helpful information for you. I did end up purchasing Lyra's. However, I still rely first on my Prismas, for a couple of reasons, I think. I do enjoy how they handle. I like their color selection. And they are readily available in open stock locally (this is a big factor for me). I've not had significant problems with bloom or breakage (a good electric sharpener usually all but eliminates breakage issues.....unless you drop your pencils a lot. ) Ultimately, it comes down to what works/feels best to you, and serves your style and purposes best.

Last edited by ocmd123 : 05-06-2009 at 07:59 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Missouri

Hails from United States

I had worried that there were perfomance failings with oil-based pencils, but clearly it is a matter of preference and availability.

Thanks for all of the good advice!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by monique158
(I love the Derwent Drawing pencils and wanted to get colored pencils that feel the same way.)
You would probably like the Derwent Coloursoft line. They feel almost exactly like the Drawing pencils to me.

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Northeastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I like the oil-based pencils better than the wax-based. They seem smoother to me.

I'm starting to think I wasted my money on the prismas and should've just went straight to the better brands (Faber-Castells, Derwents, Caran d'Aches).
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Puebla, Puebla.

Hails from Mexico

Hi every body!
I´m new in this page, I tried some color pencils brands and found that for example the Prismacolor one can blend with water and a brush, since I hate the odor of solvents I found this a great advantage. I have some Staedtler that have the same possibility. They are not watercolor pencils, though, that´s another thing.
I was experimenting with different ways of blending and found that using some lip protector by the name of Golba one can obtain a very good blending.

Illyan.