WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Libertyville, Illinois

Hails from Canada
Accordian Girl

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Accordian Girl
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I just finished this painting that is from a photo I found in the Reference Library. There is going to be a Spring Art Show this weekend and this painting will be amongst a number of my oil paintings. I did some touch ups this mo<br>ing and used Japan Dryer with the paint, so hope the touchups will dry fast so I can va<br>ish the painting on Friday mo<br>ing.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I cropped the original photo and made changes to the color before printing out a photo to paint from. The original photo shows an audience of people reflected in the store window, but because of the cropping I felt trying to add figures to the painting would throw the balance off. The audience would be too close to the right of the painting. It does seem odd, however that the Accordian Girl's only audience is two women with their backs to her. What reaction do you have?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Whidbey Island Washington

Hails from United States
Re: Accordian Girl

I love it! It is great and it reminds me of so many street muscians who are ignored by the general populace. Only crit I would have is the elbow against the red background. Perhaps the background needs toning, a little would help push the background red back. You did a great job.

I can see putting it in a frame for the show, but it should not be varnished for a minimum of several weeks for very thin paint and months for thicker paint. If it is varnished too soon it will crack.

Londondeon

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 01:30 PM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

Beautifully painted. Perfect, in fact. I also think you get a great narrative by having her playing and only two women turning their backs. The life of the artist...sigh.

I do suggest a different approach to the painting following two dicta: The artist's job is to simplify the scene and if an element doesn't contribute positively to the composition, it should be dropped.

So, no painting of the grate in front of her legs, no painting of each brick in the background, no painting of the light rectangle at the bottom, no painting of the balcony with wires at the upper left and the thingy jutting out at an angle. And, hey, if you like my suggestions, think of the time you'll save!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
karachi pakistan

Hails from Pakistan

It is very nicely painted,I like the coposition.

Experience is nothing without EXPERIMENTS.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Lilliput

Hails from United States

gee....I hate to disagree with my hero....but I think the architectural elements really make the composition.....
the vertical and horizontal hard lines.....and the long vertical line behind her ......
then the slight diagonal of the accordion keys.....and then punctuated by the red circle on her cheek.....
I think it's interesting......even the handrail coming out of her hat....makes me think of a music note...hahaha...
and starts the curled sweep my eye takes down & along the accordion thingy(?).....and her curved posture....
that contradicts the squareness of the other elements....
anyway......I like it...alot....I also agree that the inattentive audience is a plus to the story......
singing on the street is probably very similar to painting in a deli...hahahah.....yd

Last edited by yarddog : 04-29-2009 at 03:03 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
A Local Legend
Ohio

Hails from United States

Love it!! Dont change a thing!
Let us know how the show is.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Photography 101 is to never have background elements growing out of heads, so I would do something about the railing that does that here. Also, if the figure was brighter against a slightly duller background, it would help with the very busy design (although you have reduced the compositional elements somewhat from the reference). Providing an alt. Neat piece!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast
Lilliput

Hails from United States

ok....he's right....it does look better without the music note doesn't it....
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Colorado

Hails from United States

I do agree that the composition could be helped by eliminating the railing, but I'm not sure that it would be completely necessary. I love the technique on this, and the personality really shines through.

Kudos!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I think you did a great job on this, and love the way the skirt drapes!

Claire's Website and Blog
“The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” Pierre-Auguste Renoir
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Yep, Allan was right, but this is a super painting. Very happy appealing painting.........Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

It's interesting to me that so many folks advocate the retention of the "non essential" elements. It's why I spend time on the forum- to learn different views which either replace or enhance my own. But it's hard to judge a different approach if you can't see it so I did a photoshop, building on Alan's, which simplifies the scene. I still like it better so, but there's one element which you chose not to paint which does, I think, aid the narrative and that's the hat she's put out to earn some money. So I added it to the photoshop.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Excellent composition! Well painted and drawn. I like way you made use of the straight lines.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Quebec

Hails from Canada

I really love this painting, it is just the sort of subject i liek to paint as well. It's interesting to see how the fence changes the painting! With it there you are obviously on the outside then with it photoshopped out you seem closer and part of her "crowd" I don't know.... Perhaps I like it better with the fence even busy as it is. Looking across the fence and not part of her ignoring crowd..
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
A Local Legend
Ohio

Hails from United States

What I like about this piece is the way the space is broken up into Modigliani - like rectangles. While the handrail coming out of her hat gave me a pause, the rest of the stairwell elements give the girl a marionette look that is re-enforced by the rouge and little hat. There's also a vibe of girl performing on a pole. To me the fence is a strong visual to the narrative that she is the performer, apart from the crowd.