WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Show Off Your Work > Glass Works Showcase
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Vacaville, Calif

Hails from United States
bid secrets for ebay????

I have posted a bead set on e-bay. This is the first time for me. Its been up for three days and still no bids. Is there some secret to getting bids? Please......I would greatly appreciate some constructive criticism. If you think I should change something......please tell me. Thank you...PeggyK

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... DME:B:LC:US:1
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast
the Deep South

Hails from United States
hi- Nice beads! I love sunny yellow.
a few things:
>you need to buy some things first, so you have some
kind of feedback rating. People are hesitant to buy
from those with no feedback, at least I am.
>I didn't notice, but you did spend the extra money
to put it on the gallery? I think that is critical.
>The scan really isn't that bad.
>Remember that very few people bid until the
last day, or even the last few seconds.
Good luck!

My blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:29 PM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Hails from United Kingdom
Oh, they're gorgeous! What a pity you're not shipping outside USA.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:32 PM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Hails from United Kingdom
By the way, be sure to check the Internet Sales Strategies forum. There are lots of threads about ebay strategies in there.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:32 PM
Immortalized
Central Oregon ~ Crooked River Ranch

Hails from United States
Hi Peggy...I will give it a shot...I am no expert on eBay by no means...but I know what catches my attention and what I find lacking and need to know when done looking at an auction page....first ...you dont have a total shipping cost, you just say first class, you need to come up with a dollar amt to make all easier for you and your winning bidder, depending on a set of beads first class can very for weight and so forth...the only cost you quote is $1.00 more if you want insurance. people like a total cost amt for shipping...so they know how much to pay and how much their total will be with their bid, I get many that pay miniutes after the auction and if they dont have a total they have to wait for you to tell them through emailing back and forth...and if your not home, payment gets delayed sometimes...it takes time to contact one another..I know I wont bid if I dont know complete shipping charges. Also your title is to generic...you need a title which makes your beads yours. Be it: Kite13 Lampwork Beads or something...Also, always put a gallery shot, I see you did, but make it a must always...it helps...many people only shop auctions with gallery shots....and lastly..which isn't really fair..is you have no feedback rating...those really do help...what I suggest if your just starting is making a ME page and introducing yourself to your bidder/buyers so your not so annoymous...and they can put info with that zero feedback or low rating....and somewhere down the line a camera not a scanner would really help you out, even thou your pictures aren't to bad. And lastly...its slower on eBay right now...and many times...first day and last day you get lots of action or your auctions..middle days are really slow...so keep the faith!

Kaye ~koregon
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/koregon

Last edited by koregon : 08-20-2002 at 12:38 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
You beads look great! One thing I do is include a "supersize" option for my photos. That allows prospective buyers to see more detail! I ALWAYS use a Gallery photo! I would also try a different background for your scan. I have found that the green, celadon, sage, tans, etc. backgrounds wash out most of my beads. Also, as the previous posts indicated, most bidding goes on at the last second! Also, it can take some time for bidders to notice you. People are hesitant to bid on beads from a new person. It takes a while, so don't get frustrated. Give it some time! I didn't notice if you had a counter. I use one so I can tell if folks are even looking at my auctions! I am a nervous seller and check frequently to see if I have any bids! I panic easily!
Kimberly
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 01:06 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
20 Miles South of Kalamazoo, Michigan

Hails from United States
All Great tips. I am "seasoned" at ebay, buying and selling. The gallery pic is a must. When I am looking at beads, I love a good pic. You can get a digital camera for $150 that is decent. (Kaye takes the most gorgeous pics of her beads!) The title also could be more catchy, however the name for your beads is great! As Kaye stated, I only bid on items that I know what the shipping cost is going to be. I shipped priority mail for a long time.....you can get the boxes for free from the post office. Since the rate increase I purchased padded envelopes that run me about 5cents a peice and I can ship first class between 60 - 90 cents depending on how many peices of jewerly I am sending. Boxes increase the rate significantly so padded envelopes is the way to go. You might consider buying a few supplies on ebay to increase your feedback. I can get LOTS of things I need on Ebay for cheaper than I can go buy it, even with shipping. (ie, padded envelopes, tissue paper, labels) Just think of a few things that you might go purchase and look for them on ebay......will increase your rating Lastly, be patient most items get bids the last day or even last minute! Even if you sell them at your opening bid, you are increaseing your visibility and your feedback............don't give up.............people LOVE beads!! (BTW, they are lovely beads!!)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
NE Iowa

Hails from United States
I don't think I can add too much that hasn't already been said ... just want to tell you that I think the beads are great! I like that you have both more detailed beads and spacers in the set ... I use spacers in almost every piece of jewelry I design to define the more detailed beads. Your pricing seems fair, too.

One thing I noticed that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that you haven't put a size for the beads. It's just about impossible to tell by putting a coin near the beads - I really appreciate measurements (i.e., largest bead is 11 x 7 mm, smallest spacer is 5 x 7 mm).

Don't be discouraged - lots of times there won't be a bid until the last day (unless you're Corina)!

Cheers,
Mary
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Mississippi

Hails from United States
I'm with what everyone says - here's some encouragment, though, I've had some auctions not have a single bid until the last day. Then the last few hours things really heat up!

There's so much lampwork out there that posts get lost after the first day until they show up on "Ending Today" and "Going, Going, Gone" - just hang in there.

Since you don't have a bid yet, why don't you go add a gallery pic? Just make a pic 96 x 96 pixels, and pay that 25 cents!

~Julie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 03:09 PM
Immortalized
NYC area

Hails from Cape Verde
Hi Peggy,

Good luck with your auction! Okay, I'm a frequent bead buyer, so here goes...

I tend to bid at the last minute on beads, unless I'm going to be away at the time. Yes, I'm one of the dreaded snipers! I tend to buy from buyers I know, but do try out new people as well. If I like the beads I receive, I will keep buying from them. I don't rule out bidding from eBay newbies, but it might be a deterrent for a lot of other people. As others have suggested, you might want to buy a few things just to get some good feedback up there.

One thing I suggest is to always put something in your title like your initials or your business name if you have one...like Peggy's Beads or PK or something like that. Always put the word lampwork in there as well.

As others have said, it takes a while for people to find you sometimes, so don't give up. Also, it is a rather slow time right now.

I think your picture is pretty nice -- close up & you can see the detail. I would suggest either stating the bead sizes in the text, or at least putting a millimeter ruler in the picture, as coins don't really help me in figuring out the size. There are lots of great tips on Wet Canvas on getting good images of your beads, something everyone here struggles to improve.

I think it is very important to have the gallery photo, especially as a new person, so that people can catch a glimpse of your beads while browsing...otherwise they tend to get lost in the listings. If the regular picture shows enough detail, as yours does, I don't tend to look at the "supersize" picture. I think it's good for bigger sets though so you can see more detail.

I agree with stating the shipping costs up front. I won't bid on something if I don't know the shipping beforehand, or if the shipping costs are too high (say the person is charging $5.00 for something that costs them under a dollar to mail). I offer the option of First Class or Priority Mail, insured or uninsured (stating that I will not be responsible for the item once it leaves my hands if they choose not to insure). I prefer to have things sent First Class, as it saves me money & doesn't seem to take any longer than Priority most if the time. I opt for insurance most of the time, unless the item was not very expensive.

You might want to consider shipping internationally as well, as that will open you up to new buyers. Just ask them to e-mail you with their location for shipping costs, so you can then look it up on the USPS site & let them know.

Anyway...that's all my thoughts for now...just my opinions, of course...YMMV (your mileage may vary...got that from Mags!)! Good luck!

Beth
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast
Nebraska

Hails from United States
Peggy - I think the beads are beautiful! I may even bid on them - but I'd wait a few days - so that sort of tells you one thing; most people don't bid at least in the first half of the auction. Now, I was an aggressive automated sniper, so (in the old days) I wouldn't even place ANY bid before the last 7 seconds (yes, many of you hated me, I'm sure...)

10 day auctions are too long in my opinion (buyer point of view). If I'm in the mood to buy a set of beads, the longest I want to wait from the time they catch my eye to the time I know if they are mine is a week MAX. I think 5 day auctions are a good compromise for buyer and seller. Also 7 day are acceptable. 3 day prolly only works well for the well known and those with an established customer base.

Size...you cropped out most of the coin from the pic, so I can't tell if its a dime or a quarter. If it's a dime, the beads are very petite - may be just what some are looking for or way to small for others. If it's a quarter, they are probably the size I would use.

I think your pictures are actually quite good and the close up of the focal is nice. I think the beads are really excellent.

JMO.

B2

The Cat House no-kill shelter
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 03:30 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States
BETH!!!!!!!!! was that YOU?????????? let me find my shot gun...hey honey have you seen the shells lately!!
grumble grumble!

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 03:44 PM
Immortalized
NYC area

Hails from Cape Verde
Uh oh...not sure which "sniper" Beth she means, so I'm going to go hide under the desk now!

Beth
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 03:58 PM
Immortalized
Central Oregon ~ Crooked River Ranch

Hails from United States
Hi Beth...so your a sniper huh? I have mixed thoughts about that...in the long run I guess its ok...but...sometimes bidding at least once on an item that interest you...doesn't hurt...to wait until the very end to show your interest sometimes can backfire.
what I mean...well it can have reverse affect...I pulled an auction this week...when I got no bids after four days...mostly because...right out of the starting blocks I got an email from someone saying...what no buy it now??? I told her I dont do them, but if we could agree on a price i might consider it...that I like to give everyone a chance at my beads and being an art form its hard to choose a buy it now price...so I asked her what price did she think was fair...well in the long run...she ended up not naming a price but talking about how she was a jewelry maker and had to get her beads for a good price...more or less..I am sure she was wanting the beads for opening bid or not much more. So it was a no deal..told her that I felt they would do well...because other sets like it had...and low and behold! Not only did she not bid (that bothered me the most)...but not a darn bid for days, so I pulled them and I am keeping them for me...to use with a strand of faceted ametrines I have (the gal wanting them wanted them for the same purpose, to go with Ametrine gemstones)...but sometimes holding off on that bid...well makes the hearts of us waiting for a bid...just break to a million pieces :-) "said with a chuckle"

Kaye ~koregon
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/koregon
Attached Images

Last edited by koregon : 08-20-2002 at 04:05 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 04:24 PM
Immortalized
NYC area

Hails from Cape Verde
Hi Kaye,

My reasons for being a sniper...at least the ones i can think of at this moment!

-- There are so many beads that I want, but can't afford all of them (unfortunately!). I like to go back & look at the auctions again...check out the pictures some more...see if I still like them enough to bid...etc... I'm one of those people who takes forever to decided on things at stores too! I'd be in real trouble if I placed a bid on everything or bought everything in which I was interested!! I try not to spend more money than I have (cash, not credit!). The day the auctions end, I generally have more of an idea of what I can afford right then. Sometimes I can't afford anything, so I don't bid no matter much I like something, or sometimes it's going for higher than I can afford at that point.

-- I get confused easily, as my bookkeeping stinks. If I've bid earlier, it's easy for me to lose track of what I've won when & whether I've paid for it yet or not. I have enough trouble as it is getting it all straight sometimes!

-- The times I have bid early, I've rarely won the item, no matter how much my proxy bid.

As a jewelry designer, I too need to be conscious of how much I'm paying for beads. If something goes for too high, I can't afford to buy it, as I would not be able to sell the jewelry at the price I would have to charge. I'm not looking for bargain-basement prices (I respect beadmakers & their work too much for that!), but I do have to be conscious of the price I pay. If I'm buying the beads for myself, then I can & do spend more than if I plan to use them to make jewelry to sell.

Anyway, those are just my rambling thoughts of the moment!

Beth