WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 PM

How do I seal oil pastel to protect it? (wanting to hang on walls)

Hey I was just wondering if there was a way to seal oil pastel so that i can just hang it on my wall as is?

I used oil pastel on a stretched canvas for a school project and was wondering if id be able to seal it with something. Has anyone tried anything like that and what would i use?

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: How do I seal oil pastel to protect it? (wanting to hang on walls)

I have used acrylic varnish and so far (3 years) it's fine. I think if I scratched it, the varnish might lift off. But I wouldn't want to scratch any other kind of painting either!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Immortalized
California

Frame behind glass with a mat to keep the glass off the oil pastel surface.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 PM

yea that sucks was hoping that i didnt have to frame it... costs and all! But yea i tried the varnish and it doesnt stick. Do you think if i used matt medium on top it would stick and then apply the varnish?

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

For whatever it's worth, here was my two-cents on the subject: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545917

There are a couple of pictures in the thread.

Cheers,

Herb
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Well, I am not sure with spraying things like Sennelier's OPs (Heard they don't really dry), but I do did spray Kamar Varnish spray from Krylon on one of my oil pastel projects and all you need to do is not scratch it. It looks like plastic to me. Maybe you can dry that spray that I use.

And for framing... Yeah, use the matte board and such.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 AM
WC! Guide
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

For a more thorough discussion of the issue you might refer to these links:

Post discussing some issues regarding framing and oils effects on supports:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7365505&postcount=1

and the full thread
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532008

Similar threads:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532141

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533136

Bottom line: frame behind glass unless you wish to take your chances. Any spray fixatives do not form a hardened skin like an oil painting but are mainly to prevent any possibility of wax bloom (not likely) but main to keep the surface protected from small particulates adhering to the OP itself.

Welcome to the OP Channel and forums. The moderator will most likely move this to the OP Talk forum where it will get more response. The following information is to help you become familiar with where things are, what forums are available and what should be posted in each. Glad you stopped by the OP forum.

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS>

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of

Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill

Bill
DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! (Various)

Last edited by Scarefishcrow : 04-22-2009 at 01:10 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 AM

Herb thank you so much for showing me that link... makes me wonder if trying to seal my OP is even worth it. I don't want to have to frame it under glass or having to try something that might not work anyway.

That thread was very useful to me and answered my questions!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 AM

Ty so much Bill for that info.... I wasn't sure where to post this question so next time I have a similar one I will go to that forum!

And thanks to everyone else who gave me suggestions!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Klemek,

Welcome, i'm pretty new to OP's too and so i'm still experimenting with techniques and brands of OP.
I just posted this response in Herb's discussion on fixative for OP but thought it might be relevant to you too so have Xposted here.

When i first got some oil pastels for xmas the first thing i wanted to know was how on earth do you harden them so that you can layer one colour over another.....I read through various forums and saw the refs to the Sennelier fixative etc but didn't think that layering a thin layer of either a flexible or brittle film over semi wet oil pastel would be of much use. I finally tried the cooling in a fridge technique which works to a point but one of the things i tried was to paint a layer of Liquin over the painting. I guessed that being an oil compatible medium it would bond with the oil in the OP and as it dried/cured would harden the OP at the same time. Using the 'original' Liquin which is a sort of soft gel consistency and brushing it on very gently but quickly meant i didn't notice any of the OP moving (Liquin will dissolve OP if agitated sufficiently so brush lightly with a soft brush and don't go over the same area twice) anyway the liquin is slightly coloured and gave a slight yellow cast to the picture... i didnt like that and even had a look online to see if there were any colourless Alkyd mediums (i didnt find any though)
Anyway i put the image to one side and let it dry. It takes a good 2 weeks for liquin to fully cure to the point that the tackiness disappears but once it did i think the yellowing is either gone or not discernible to my eye and it definitely has imparted a level of robustness to the OP. With one layer of Liquin the OP is much harder to smear, though a sharp object could still easily damage the surface. I haven't taken the experiment any further as it was sufficient for me to consider Liquin as an effective isolation layer which would allow me to continue to layer OP's even when the surface is saturated and the colour is just moving around instead of layering. So who knows what an additional layer would achieve and then maybe followed by a varnish, it might impart enough protection to consider hanging without glass??

In truth very little of my work gets saved for posterity , and if it does then its usually only large scale Acrylic or oil paintings on canvas so i haven't really fully considered a solution for long term protection. I would hazard a guess though that 3 coats of liquin followed by a compatible varnish would render the picture touch and smudge proof, though it would remain to be seen whether it would harden the surface sufficiently against a malicious finger nail etc. I would be extremely interested to find out though. (but then a malicious finger nail could impart damage on a dry acrylic or oil painting to some degree i guess)

oh and the two surfaces i have tried the liquin on are sanded paper and watercolour paper. Not yet tried it on canvas

regards

Steve
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

I moved your thread to the talk forum where you will get more feedback. My opinion, frame under glass. the jury still seems to be out on a fix.

Pat
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 PM
WC! Guide
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Steve, Thanks for sharing that info. Bill Creevy discusses using a liquin or wingel (a gel like form) with oil pastels in his book on Pastel painting. It does work with OP (as do virtually all mediums meant for oil paints). The real question is its long term stability. This is a constant problem because if people wish their work to be permanent and durable and if they are going to be selling it then they, IMHO, have a moral responsibility to make certain that the work is accomplished with materials and techniques that to the best of current knowledge on art materials will result in a durable work. Durable in conservation circles implies a minimum of 50-100 years without likelihood of any noticeable change IF CARED FOR PROPERLY.

Pat is correct that the jury is out on various fixatives for OP. W&N even recommends that paintings done with their Oilbars be framed under glass as the wax added to the oil paint alters the durability of the final film.

Doing experiments such as you tried are very useful, especially if they are then tucked away and periodically examined to see what happens long term.

While there are many methods of "accellerated aging" to test art media, all have some problems because to accomplish accellerated aging means exposing the media to amounts of energy (such a light energy) in a short period of time that is equal to the energy they would recieve in, say, 100 years.

Consider testing safe sound levels for workers. What would we expect if we took the sound energy a worker is exposed to over 50 years and exposed them to the eqivalent amount of sound energy over a two week period. Would we conclude that even the quietiest environments are dangerous?

This is a somewhat hyperbolic example but meant to demonstrate the problem of testing and setting standards for high quality art materials.

Bottom line continues to be with OP that all the most knowledgable people in conservation recommend if you wish it to last, frame under glass.

Bill
DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! (Various)