WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which portable easel do you think is the best for plein air painting?
Jullian French Easel 74 33.79%
Versa EasyL Easel 39 17.81%
Soltek Easel 29 13.24%
Open Box M 41 18.72%
Guerilla Painter Pochade Box 36 16.44%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Which easel do you think is the absolute best for plein air painting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad121
Pochade box with a tripod, seems to defeat the purpose. For me, the purpose is to be neat and tidy, light and low profile, I stress the low profile.
I use my ancient old Gitzo 026 tripod, at one time considered the "ultimate" backpackers tripod. Light as a feather. Fairly low profile. Today an equivalent tripod might be one of the eye-level height tripods in the their Mountaineer line. I do use a heavy quick-release ball head, however, which about doubles the tripod weight.

I found that my big heavy camera tripod was overkill with the pochade box. I agree with what Ben says here about pochade boxes on tripods: "Remember that although you are putting quite a bit of weight on the head, you don't need it to stay rock steady, as you would with a camera of similar weight. So you can usually overload them beyond what they spec."

You can center anchor them even more if you hang your backpack from the bottom of the center post or suspend it between the tripod's legs. Gives an ultra-lightweight low-profile setup a tad more stability.

Jan

Last edited by Studio-1-F : 05-03-2009 at 11:11 AM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM
New Almaden, CA

Hails from England

I'm a French easel type. No need for tripods, or expensive add-on gadgets. It can be a table easel. It can be a watercolour easel. Since I bought an "Artcomber" cart to haul it around, I like it even more. The Artcomber carries the French easel, has a pocket for canvases or panels and has a built-in chair. The large wheels are smooth rolling. At $40, I don't expect the Artcomber to last a long time, but I've lugged it over some pretty rough terrain and it is holding up okay.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS Portrait Artist
What makes the Open Box M so special?

Why is it leading the pack at this point in time?
I don't think there is anything "special" about it, just a matter of personal preference. I have an OBM and it does everything I need it to do and is well made. I'm just very happy with it. I especially like the way I can push my panels up high so the mixing area don't interfere with brush strokes.

I also have a Jullian and although I haven't used it in a few years for painting, I still like it a lot.

C&C appreciated. "A studio is a good place to smoke your pipe." (Joaquin Sorolla)
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Newman
I don't think there is anything "special" about it, just a matter of personal preference. I have an OBM and it does everything I need it to do and is well made. I'm just very happy with it. I especially like the way I can push my panels up high so the mixing area don't interfere with brush strokes.

I also have a Jullian and although I haven't used it in a few years for painting, I still like it a lot.

Bruce,

Did you buy the Open Box M palette/panel holder separate or included with the pochade box?

I have been contemplating the purchase of the Open Box M 10 X 12 palette/panel holder to use in a backpack but others have warned that it tends to snag backpacks.

In your opinion, is it best to buy the entire kit?

Cindy
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 PM

Hails from Canada

I don't know what I have to be honest, Cindy. I'm pretty sure I have the panel holder--positive, in fact--but I've never used it. At first, I wasn't sure what I would need so I got it all...but that's not how I work. I love the paint box and, yes, the hardware can snag a backpack. I use Raymar linen panels and ended up buying the Raymar storage boxes which work very well for me.

If I were starting all over and to answer your question more clearly, I would buy the palette/paint box, a Bogan tripod and that's it. I wouldn't bother with the panel holder or any of the storage bags.

C&C appreciated. "A studio is a good place to smoke your pipe." (Joaquin Sorolla)
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Williamsville, NY

Hails from United States

Cindy,

Marc Hanson suggested that I purchase only the pallet/panel holder along with a backpack for hauling the supplies and tripod. I have used a 9x12 pallet/panel holder without a problem for over four years now and have no regrets following Marc's advice. They are pretty solid. I agree with the other comments that the hardware can snag on things. I solved this by purchasing one of their cloth bags used to keep the wet panel carrier. I store the pallet/panel holder in that before placing in my backpack. It's an extra bag, but it works.

My younger son (9 yrs old) is starting to oil paint and likes to go out with me on the weekends. I took the opportunity to convince myself that I need another pochade box. I decided to try the Bitterroot lite from Alla Prima Pochade. Ben is very responsive and his design looks well thought out. I liked the two panel storage in the lid. I expect to get this one in about 4 weeks.

As an aside, I find it humorous that I, like many artists, constantly search for the perfect new gadget or easel. Compare that to Richard Schmid who uses a surveyor's tripod and home made paint box or Albert Handell who has used the same french easel since he was 19. I think I need to spend more time painting than researching easels.

Bruce - Good to see you posting. I

www.edwardkennedystudio.com
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Santa Clarita, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
I don't know what I have to be honest, Cindy. I'm pretty sure I have the panel holder--positive, in fact--but I've never used it. At first, I wasn't sure what I would need so I got it all...but that's not how I work. I love the paint box and, yes, the hardware can snag a backpack. I use Raymar linen panels and ended up buying the Raymar storage boxes which work very well for me.

If I were starting all over and to answer your question more clearly, I would buy the palette/paint box, a Bogan tripod and that's it. I wouldn't bother with the panel holder or any of the storage bags.

I agree with Bruce, Cindy. The edges can snag but it really hasn't been a big deal. The outer case & panel holders are beautifully made but a bit impractical for the backpack. Raymar's storage boxes are great.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Hails from Canada

Hi, Ed! I'd love to get together for breakfast again sometime! :-)

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

The best one is the one in front of you.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2009, 03:22 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:

Thanks so much for your help, Bruce. I really appreciate it.

I bought some Raymar cotton panels and a Raymar storage box a few weeks ago, but haven't had the chance to use them.

I think you're right about buying the whole OBM kit - panel holder with paint box and the Bogan tripod. I don't want to deal with the panel holder ruining my nice backpack.

Thanks again,

Cindy
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdK
Cindy,

Marc Hanson suggested that I purchase only the pallet/panel holder along with a backpack for hauling the supplies and tripod. I have used a 9x12 pallet/panel holder without a problem for over four years now and have no regrets following Marc's advice. They are pretty solid. I agree with the other comments that the hardware can snag on things. I solved this by purchasing one of their cloth bags used to keep the wet panel carrier. I store the pallet/panel holder in that before placing in my backpack. It's an extra bag, but it works.

My younger son (9 yrs old) is starting to oil paint and likes to go out with me on the weekends. I took the opportunity to convince myself that I need another pochade box. I decided to try the Bitterroot lite from Alla Prima Pochade. Ben is very responsive and his design looks well thought out. I liked the two panel storage in the lid. I expect to get this one in about 4 weeks.

As an aside, I find it humorous that I, like many artists, constantly search for the perfect new gadget or easel. Compare that to Richard Schmid who uses a surveyor's tripod and home made paint box or Albert Handell who has used the same french easel since he was 19. I think I need to spend more time painting than researching easels.

Bruce - Good to see you posting. I

Ed,

Thanks for the information. Hmm...maybe I still can do without the OBM paint box in order to cut the cost of the purchase.

Happy Painting!

Cindy
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Hi, Ed! I'd love to get together for breakfast again sometime! :-)

Bruce,

I just visited your website. You are one AWESOME artist!

Keep up the great work!

Cindy

Last edited by CLS Portrait Artist : 05-15-2009 at 04:09 PM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Immortalized
In my studio--CA

Hails from United States

I've been using the Anderson Easel for about 3 years. The parts kept falling off the first one so I sent it back and they replaced what broke or fell off with updated parts. Still, I velcroed (?) the two swing legs to ensure they'd stay put while traveling (just in case) and added plastic furniture pads on the bottom end so it would stand when closed up. The hinge was preventing this. Since I use it only for pastels, I padded the box area to hold about a hundred of them, and that works fine. The down side of this easel is it's short height. I'm a little over 5' and it works for me. But at 6' you wouldn't be comfortable with it unless you were sitting. What I like about it is that the arm swivels, and as the sun moves, so can I. Mostly I use it with the box open at my right side, and for pastels, where you don't have the extension of a brush, this is a bonus. If I had to replace it, I'd probably get a Soltek, though it's twice the price.

Last edited by Sonni : 05-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

b

Last edited by Studio-1-F : 07-31-2009 at 09:09 AM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM

I'm a bit late jumping into this thread, but I have to cast my write-in vote for Ben Haggett's Alla Prima Pochades. Great workmanship and Ben is easy to work with, especially if you want modifications.
I just got him to make me a "lite" version of his 8 x 10 Blackfoot box. It will weigh in at a little under 2 lbs. I picked this over an Open Box M, because of the superior hardware Ben uses, as well as the pluses mentioned above. At first I thought the Open Box would be a lighter setup, but then I did the math. Ben's pochade comes with a brush holder, palette extension and wet panel storage. Adding those in, Ben's pochade came in at about the same weight or perhaps a little lighter.
By the way, if anyone is interested, I am selling my old 8 x 10 Blackfoot, because I just wanted a more easily "hikeable" small setup. It is listed in WetCanvas' Artist Marketplace. I listed it at $250 (new would be about $100 more), but the price is negotiable.
Open Box M certainly has the name, but it seems that more and more artists are discovering Alla Prima Pochade. I wonder how APP would do if a poll were conducted in a couple of years. Might give OPM a run for its money.