WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Alternative Materials, and Other Media
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
How about a spring challenge?

We haven't done this for awhile, so I was thinking that maybe some folks would like to try a spring forum challenge. I was doing some monoprinting recently, to make some background papers for collage work, and a friend asked me why you'd want to go through this process rather than just squirt paint on the paper and mess it around. The question got me to thinking.

The obvious answer is that you can mess the paints around better on a slick surface than on the paper itself, but I came up with a couple of other points too. One technique that I really ended up liking involved using a sheet of wavy-surfaced glass, and the patterns I got were ones that I would never have gotten by direct to paper application of paint.

Another benefit is that you can actually get more than one print from each paint mess. Each can still be called a monoprint, because none of them will be anywhere near identical.

Here's the easy-peasy directions, and you can see more examples at this LINK on my personal blog.

1. Place a dab of each color that you wish to use in a small plastic cup. Thin the paints with water so that they will move freely on the glass or plastic surface.

2. Use masking tape to block off the size of the area that you wish to paint on your glass. You will be applying paints to the glass surface, not directly to the papers. The slick surface allows the paints to move freely as you manipulate them, until you are satisfied with the design.

3. Play with your paints on the glass surface. The addition of water to the mix will allow you additional manipulation time, but don't allow them to dry out. Try not to over-manipulate them either, or you'll end up with muddy colors.

4. Take your first piece of prepared paper and lower it to the surface. You can roll it on carefully or just drop in on. You can also slide it around slightly if you'd like an extra serendipity factor. Smooth lightly, and roll it back up from the surface.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2009, 08:06 AM
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States
Re: How about a spring challenge?

Looks like a fun challenge, Cyndi!

However, being a Printmaker at heart, and a stickler for details- I DO have to clear up one little thing- The term MONOPRINT vs MONOTYPE. They are often confused with one another, and therefore used interchangeably, but they are actually quite different.

This type of printing is actually a MONOTYPE- When it is done on a plain piece of glass (or plastic). Each and every print is entirely unique- Even if you 'pull' more than one from the plate, each one is going to be significantly different than the last.

A MONOPRINT, on the other hand, is done from a plate that has some kind of fixed image on it- A woodcut block, etched plate, collograph- Something that is reproduced from image to image. Again, each one is still somewhat unique- But is based on a plate that has an image that is unchanged from print to print, though it might be inked differently.

Confusing enough? Yeah, I know...

There are a lot of people over in the Printmaking forum that work in Monoprint/type, so jump on over and explore there, too!

I'd also LOVE to see the work for this challenge cross posted!

-Andrew
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Thanks for the clarification, Andrew! After my daughter took printmaking, I was so confused by all the terms that I just nodded my head and said, "Oh, uh-huh!" a lot

What you wrote isn't confusing at all...the difference between fingerpainting and stamping if you want to look at it that way. I do want to be accurate, so I changed the terms on my blog as well.

So ok, does anyone want to do some monoTYPES this spring?

Last edited by Cyndi L : 04-16-2009 at 08:35 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2009, 04:00 PM
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

No problem, Cyndi... Printmaking is a VERY technical, and therefore VERY terminology intensive area of art... LOTS of the terms are used interchangeably and often misused- I misused the monoprint/monotype thing for a long time myself!

BTW- That example you posted is great! I love the color.

I hope I have time to do some monotypes- It's something that I've been meaning to do- And it would be great to use my new press for them (though you certainly don't NEED a press!)

-Andrew
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast
Calgary Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Cyndi,

Like the stronger primary colours you used for conveying this theme!
( can imagine Stravinsky-inspired music to this 'un , for sure )....

North of the 49th & at the Foothills of the Rockies we had a snowstorm come through (again ) just this past Tuesday!
Mother's Day is the big planting week-end 'round here!
( if you want to take your chances there's not another freeze )..

SO.......

If we've got until Spring's ''official end- the Summer Solstice on the 21st of June; I"m in!

Seriously, I'll try for before May's end....

Do you want more an Abstract feel to the theme, or just go with however we get to any image that says 'Spring' to us...'long as it's a monotype?

Cheers!

Chris/WildGoose

"Getting there is not half the fun-it's ALL the fun!" (Robert Townsend)
Art Blog: http://wildgoosewanderings.blogspot.com

Last edited by WildGoose : 04-16-2009 at 07:22 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Oh, I didn't mean that your monotype had to embody spring, I just meant it's a technique challenge for the spring! Of course if anyone wants to interpret this differently and use another technique to make a spring piece, I'm easy

I know what you mean about spring coming late...we've had snowstorms at the tail end of April and into May. Fortunately, the snow usually doesn't last too long, melting within a few days, but it can really wreck your early plantings...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Since there is a little more time for this one Cyndi, I would like to try this out. I have always loved your enthusiasm in this forum.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Mary, you're so sweet! Thanks, and I hope you'll have time to give it a whirl. They're so much fun
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
antwerp

Hails from Belgium

this is exactly why i wanted to join wet canvas
lots of ideas and inspiration
i'll get a go with it in our easterbreak (i presume it's around the same time as spring break)
i onced made some monotypes in eveningschool, they are indeed a lot of fun.
these are just one color and then structures pressed on to the paper, cant wait to see the results from your suggestion.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Anviss, welcome to the MM forum! We're happy to have you join in

I love those two black and white prints...they look like microscopic views of critters in water! I'll bet they'd make great backgrounds for further embellishment.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 AM

Hails from Canada

So for this challenge are we talking just in monoprinting or any way of painting to make something "spring" i'm definitely interested in this challenge.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Excellent motivation, Cyndi L! Just what I needed to hoist myself off of my spreading patootie and try encaustic monotypes. Yippee! I gonna do it. Even if it doesn't quite fit your challenge . . .

Paula Roland appears to be the guru. Might need her DVD too. Hmm.

Thanks!

Jan
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2010, 02:25 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops
So for this challenge are we talking just in monoprinting or any way of painting to make something "spring" i'm definitely interested in this challenge.

Hi Raindrops! Whichever you'd like This is actually an old challenge that just didn't get removed from the sticky section, but you are definitely welcome to make something to contribute. Maybe we should "officially" do it again!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F
Yippee! I gonna do it. Even if it doesn't quite fit your challenge . . .

Jan, there's not much of anything that doesn't "fit" the challenge! These are just to help get people motivated...not to dictate. I'd love to see your work
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Hmmmm, this sounds like fun and have not done monotypes nor monoprints in a few years. Count me in for some fun!