WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 PM

Pastel pencils and Pastel brands

I had some fun today at Hobby Lobby and found some Sennelier half-sticks and a set of Derwent pastel pencils/pastels sticks kit.
Anybody with more experience tell me thier experience with these brands? I wont get to play with them till I have time on the weekend so any tips would be greatly apprciated , I dont want to waste them
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: Pastel pencils and Pastel brands

Hi, you got some really good stuff there. The Sennelier sticks are on the soft side, so use them with a light hand. Sandpaper will eat them up real quick (and they will clog the tooth too), so an ordinary pastel paper like Canson MT and similar papers will be good to start with. It may be difficult to get the Derwents to leave any mark on top of the Senns, as the pencils are way harder. But the pencils will do a great job of blending the Senns.

I'd paint with the pencils first, and then use the softies on top of them.

What paper do you have?

Have a really fun weekend!

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM

I also have a used set of Rembrants, is it ok to mix brands in the same painting?
Paper that I have is Strathmore heavyweight "Dry Media" and Canson Pastel Paper, so nothing fancy, I'm just learning.

Also, how do you store a finished painting? Thanks again!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Highland, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowgrrl
I also have a used set of Rembrants, is it ok to mix brands in the same painting?
OK? It's a requirement! Well maybe not a requirement, but a good idea. Most people start with their harder pastels and eventually work their softest ones in near the end. Like Charlie explained with the pencils vs. softies, it's just the way it works best.

-Barry

Barry Keller - Pastel Society of the West Coast - United Society of Pastel Artists
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Welcome! You've already been given good advice. Some of us mix many brands together and yes, it is easier to start with the harder brands and/or the pencils, and then use the softer brands for the finishing touches as the soft brands will deposit the pastel onto pastel already layed down on the paper, where the harder pastels may just "plow" through the pastel that is on your paper.

Lots of us store pastels in different ways. If you are just beginning, you might want to cover your finished pastel with some tracing paper. That's what I use. A more expensive way to cover them is with glassine. Now I tape my paper onto foam board and then cover, but I used to just tape the tracing paper to the paper and store in a portfolio. I would cut the tracing paper to the exact size of the paper, and tape to the back of the artwork.

You can get cheap tracing paper in rolls from Dick Blick or probably any art store:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/bi...tracing-paper/

Don
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM

Thank you, you guys are so awesome .
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States

You can also store paintings in a larger drawing pad. You could get a lot on one and they're all together.

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)