WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Las Vegas

Hails from United States
Removing Retouch Varnish

What do you use to remove retouch varnish.

I have a painting I did a year ago and it is still wet to the touch. Why??
I had sprayed it with retouch varnish. I've never had that problem before.
Anyway, I thought I should remove the retouch varnish but don't know what to use.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Removing Retouch Varnish

The paint should have been dry before you applied the varnish in the first place...

If the varnish is a removable sort then a lint free cloth dampened solvent could be used to remove it, but that might remove the paint too. It will remove the paint if the paint is not fully dry.

It's not easy to keep an oil painting wet for a year. All I can think of is contamination of the oil by a non-drying oil or lots of retarder like clove oil. I've read on here that water miscible oils can stay tacky for long periods.

In a worse case scenario you could frame the picture behind glass and accept that it will remain wet forever.

Mark
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassie
A year?

Wassie, most retouch varnish is thought to be made from dammar, which would mean you'll probably have to use turpentine. If you don't have any turps then try mineral spirits but it may not be strong enough to properly dissolve it.

Your retouch varnish might be made from a modern synthetic resin, in which case any mineral spirits will do fine.

A previous thread and some tips that might be helpful: Safe Damar removal

Quote:
Using a lint free cloth dipped in [spirit], start in a small corner and gently rub the surface of the painting. The varnish will dissolve onto the cloth. If any colour is seen on the cloth then you must stop. Work your way across the entire surface of the painting in small squares. TIP: Keep using fresh pieces of cloth to ensure that the varnish is being lifted and not just spread.
If in doubt, give the painting one last rub with [spirit].

Golden (the acrylic maker) also suggest, for their MSA varnish, laying a solvent-soaked cloth onto the painting for a few minutes before you begin the rubbing procedure. Worth testing this out on a small area, see if it makes any problem with colour coming off on the cloths worse.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States
Re: Removing Retouch Varnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassie
What do you use to remove retouch varnish.

I had sprayed it with retouch varnish. I've never had that problem before.
Anyway, I thought I should remove the retouch varnish but don't know what to use.

You don't need to remove the retouch. Being in Las Vegas, have you placed the painting in the warm sun for a while?