WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 08:30 PM
Central California

Hails from United States
San Vicente Light

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: San Vicente Light
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my 2nd painting

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I don't know what questions to ask, as I've just begun painting and don't know any technicalities.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 08:38 PM
indiana

Hails from United States
not being a watercolorist i can only reply with this,,,,you have a good subject in this watercolor.
you may need more contrast in this piece and you might consider,on the next one, to make the tree smaller so the lighthouse stands out as the focal point

hope this helps
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 10:26 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
Give yourself a pat on the back, Dompros! This is a fine second effort. You need a few more darks, a little smoother transition between light and shade, and some more variation in the sky, but these are easy things to address. Welcome to WetCanvas!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 10:47 PM
Central California

Hails from United States
Thankful!

Firstly, I'm thankful and somewhat surprised, that real artists would take the time and effort to review my crude efforts...

These images have all been optimized and do not show the true images. I appoligize.

A coulple of months ago I was setting up a website for an artist. He said, "here have a try at it..."
I replied, Huh?
That's how it got started.

I don't even know what questions to ask here!
If any of you are kind enough to give tips and instructions, I probably need to have them explained.

This painting is pretty much a failure. That land in the distance is Santa Catalina island... A breath taking view, completely lost here!
There are dozens of these awesome palms, 4 to 5 stories high... and the light house is a rude intrusion upon the wildness of this beautiful point of land.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 11:05 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hey! You're a real artist!!! Anybody who would put paint to paper and have the guts to post his work on a site like this is definitelly a real artist!

Check out the tutorials in the watercolor forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/chan...&channel_id=31); there are lots of great lessons, many by Rod Webb, who makes it all seem easier than falling off a log. It's not, of course, but you'll get there! If you haven't taken a beginning watercolor class, I'd recommend it. All the junior colleges give them. You appear to be a Californian, but I don't know where you live, so I'm just going to take a header here and recommend John Trees, who teaches at Pasadena City College on Sundays (drawing in the a.m., watercolor in the p.m.). He's excellent and will give you a lot of techniques and a lot of confidence.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 11:38 PM
Central California

Hails from United States
Smile Thank you m'Lady...

Yes, that's how I found this site, looking for watercolor tutorials.
I started looking over Rod's yesterday and will begin training shortly.

I live among the orange groves in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley about 45 miles to the nearest small town, Visalia.

I go out and snap with my digital and look for something I might be able to handle.

I uploaded the images here, because my wife says she likes them, but she says that about everything I do...
(I can hardly stand to look at 'em)

I needed some other opinons, because all I can see are the errors and and it seems that most of my efforts are correcting the messes that I make!

Regards and thank you very much for your input!

Robert
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2002, 12:08 AM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Well, keep posting them! Usually, if you ask for a critique, you'll get them. Ditto for the watercolor forum; you'll find Rod's pretty active in commenting on things posted there.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2002, 06:58 AM
Immortalized
a human being on the face of the earth

this is not a failure
it is a stepping stone
a very nice stepping stone

you have a really good sense of light
not just where light and shadow should go
but the quality of light

your colors are light and airy and pleasing
like the morning