WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Kent, WA on the hidden apartment named Redwood Square

Hails from United States
Question About Blending Stumps

I bought this yesterday on a grocery store out of curiousity, it does blend well on pencils, pastels and color pencils as I try it but not sure on watercolor pencils.

On cleaning, if I don't have a sandblock paper can nail file be a good substitute?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 05:08 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: About Blending Stumps

I haven't used them on watercolor pencils... I guess just 'good ole expermentation' would work...

Yes, on the emery board. I've used them and actually like them better. I find the cute little sandpaper blocks bought from the art stores are okay but the papers tend to curl up at the far, unglued end.

Also very, very super-fine grit sandpaper from the hardware store works fine. You can buy those by the sheet very economically. Basically you can make your own sandpaper block by cutting a sheet down.

Diane

Last edited by Diane Cutter : 03-01-2009 at 05:12 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Yorkshire

Hails from England

You can even use the sandpaper to rub away at drawings and watercolours. I've even experimented with an electric drill and wire brush attachment. Be careful though as you may not want to go too hard and destroy your work, but you can achieve a smudged, grainy and speckled effect with sanding. Or use sandpaper to 'feather' edges. Try it first on something that you wouldn't mind damaging. Different grades of sand paper obviously achieve different results. With your watercolour pencils you may even consider scraping away with a scalpel or other sharp knife. Or my favourite: a finger tip - you can build up a bit of friction to move the pencil around a bit. A decent weight of watercolour paper would help here to withstand a bit of abuse. And different watercolour papers yield different results.

Andrew
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Thank you for asking this question! I've just begun using blending stumps (or "tortillions") as I've recently picked up sketching and soft pastels..... but had no idea what to do once the stump got dirty. Now I know!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Kettering, OH

Hails from United States

blending stumps and tortillions are 2 different things- i have never cleaned mine because i never saw the point- i mean, your just gonna blend some more pencil marks- but now i got it figured out.........i think
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/jon-deitner.html
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Hails from United States

@nit-wit
I do finger smudging most of the time on my pencil works but in the end it doesn't look good when I smudge XD

I bought the sandpaper Diane recommended a while ago on McLendon and it works well on the blending stump I bought (btw, the blending stump I bought is a #3 ProArt that's Made in China). I'm going to try them on each medium I have here if it works.

Thanks for the reply guys!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

There is more then one way to blend a cat . Rolling up some printer paper work as blenders too. Blending stumps pick up what ever color you blend them with, so it may not be the best idea to use them with water color pencil. But you never know until you try.I have used my with color pencil and it worked fine, but I also have a sandpaper block. If I was you I would pick one up at your art store, they are really cheap.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Oops, guess you already bought one .
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 PM

Hails from United States

^ that's ok, I will try that one you said also.