WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Lisbon

Hails from Portugal
Arrow Brainstorming About a European Pastel Society

You’re a pastellist, an artist who paints with soft/dry pastel sticks, and people like and admire your work, or see great promise in it if you’re a developing artist.

You also have been met by incomprehension, people saying "so this is watercolour?" or "I see you paint in oils". When showing them your pastel sticks, people do respond "but you can't have painted that with [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']those!" As we pastellists know all too well, soft pastels is not a fully respected and appreciated medium in Europe.[/font]

Experience in Europe, and elsewhere, shows that, when educated about pastels, our collectors and customers do respond wonderfully well. When we tell them that pastels are exactly the same high quality pigments as oil-paint, but will keep their fresh look many centuries longer, people do take notice.

Obviously we need to make soft/dry pastel work known, and help people to do some “housecleaning” of their habitual preconceived ideas. When artists get to know that pastel is a versatile medium that can be used in all manners of painting, they become interested. Art supply stores do respond to a demand, and will carry more interesting papers and pastel brands. Lots of sales certainly rises interest amongst galleries to represent pastellists.

A society promoting pastel work and pastel artists would be a great vehicle to increase appreciation of our medium and our work. Let's form a pastel society for pastellists all over Europe!

Clearly, there is a need for a group or society that gathers and support the pastellists that are alone in working with pastels as a serious medium in their countries and cities. There are a handful of pastel groups and societies in Europe, and they are doing a great job locally, but they are very few. Joining over borders and working for a common goal will give us a strength in number, and make it far easier to find other local pastellists for starting local groups. These groups will have much more weight locally if supported by a European society which would also be a member of the prestigious International Association of Pastel Societies, IAPS.

This is the thread were a group of dedicated European pastellists brainstorm the forming of a society. Do join us. A bit of cooperation can gain you respect and development as a serious pastel artist, and it will be fun and interesting.

Charlie and George

Pastel Guild of Europe Founder&Advisor

Last edited by Kathryn Wilson : 05-19-2009 at 04:23 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 01:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: About pastel societies

You might check on the International Association of Pastel Societies web page for the member societies and see if any look promising, George. Of course, perhaps YOU should start one in Portugal!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

George, I'm having the same trouble, finding only one or two in France (don't speak French, alas, no more than a word or two), and I've not even found the one in the UK!

Maybe we should start either an international, or a European? In English, not Portugese... ;-D If the OP guys can have one, I see no reason why we couldn't. Except for the huge amount of work. We'd need a bunch of dedicated Europeans to make it possible. I'm half serious, too.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Charlie, there are at least two in the UK, and one in Russia, on the map at the link above... but I think your idea to start something European is GRAND!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Deborah, thank you for the moral support! Looked at the map, and it seems I have to relocate and be a resident of Lincolnshire... :-)

Any interested Europeans who'd like to *make* a society?

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

I wish there was one in NE Florida. I keep hoping someone will start one near St Augustine, which seems to be a very "artsy" city--lots of galleries and lots of GORGEOUS scenery!!

http://lisafioreart.blogspot.com/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Lisbon

Hails from Portugal

Hi

Deborah, Charlie and Elizabeth

"Of course, perhaps YOU should start one in Portugal!" Its more the a great idea, a couple of days ago I had the same talk to bringer about pastel societies in Portugal, and there's none. The idea of building one is promissing, but honestly I don't know how, but....Deborah you've just, somehow encouraging me...but starting it alone ??????

Charlie...."I'm half serious", well plus my half serious, that makes 100% serious...european pastel society (in english not portuguese ) not only its a great idea but also, seriously Charlie, I love it...CHARLIE I'm an european realy realy interessed to *make* a society, but if you how to do it, whats necessary, want to join me?

elizabeth I know how you feel about it....its like kind of abandoned...

Pastel Guild of Europe Founder&Advisor
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2009, 06:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Do some searching here on the pastel forum and I know you'll find some threads with advice about starting a society. Others have asked and a few of us who have started one in the past--Peggy Braeutigam, Donna Aldridge and myself, for starters--have given advice. Plus you have the people who started the Oil Pastel Society to talk to right here, and they've done it much more recently using all the advantages of the Internet. There should be nothing stopping you! It sounds to me like an idea whose time has come.....

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Um, Lisa...YOU could start one in NE Florida, too!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Secor
Charlie, there are at least two in the UK, and one in Russia, on the map at the link above... but I think your idea to start something European is GRAND!

Deborah

Ditto

Kathy
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Let me check out the OP society, seems to be net-based mostly. And a humble start can grow to something (monstrously) big! WC started as a forum for a handful of guys who knew each other, if I'm not mistaken.

George, sounds like we have the needed 100%, even if it is 50+50!

But, I *am* preparing for a show and a competition, so I'll not be able to do much in March. Research, certainly.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
Let me check out the OP society, seems to be net-based mostly. And a humble start can grow to something (monstrously) big! WC started as a forum for a handful of guys who knew each other, if I'm not mistaken.

George, sounds like we have the needed 100%, even if it is 50+50!

But, I *am* preparing for a show and a competition, so I'll not be able to do much in March. Research, certainly.

Charlie

Kathy
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 AM
newburgh, indiana

Hails from United States

they dont have one in my area either. they have one in northern indiana though. kind of sucks because i wouldnt even know how to begin looking for other pastellists where i live.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by koisdad
they dont have one in my area either. they have one in northern indiana though. kind of sucks because i wouldnt even know how to begin looking for other pastellists where i live.

If you haven't already, check out the Great Lakes Pastel Society. They have members from all over your area. You might find someone near you through them.

Christine

Christine Neidhofer
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Hi, George! In my opinion you can't have too many pastel societies. Bonnie Butler (our 'Potoma' here in WC) was talking about starting a Virginia Pastel Society. You might contact her and see if she can offer any tips, etc.

It would seem to me (and this is just my opinion) that the success (and the joy) of a society such as this lies in the camaraderie, friendships, companionship, personal critiques, shared adventures, and so forth, among the members. This you can not get with an online "society", in my experience. So, (for me at least) I'd rather be a part of a local all-media art league, where I could actually get together with folks regularly. Rather than being a member of a pastels-only society that was scattered all over Europe and never actually hung out together.

Besides, how could anyone duplicate the success and the usefulness of WC?!!! Here we are a worldwide pastels-only society!

Anyway, just my opinion. I value the one-on-one very highly.

Jan