WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Kingston, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Big City Scene

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Big City Scene
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was done from a book of photos I found in a library (in Mexico), so I don't know
where it was shot.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
General comments please. I need help with color as I am attempting to teach myself.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
New York City

Hails from United States
Hmm, it feels a bit more 'small town' than big city to me, maybe it's the abscence of signs and people ... I wonder if the edges might be a little more crisp and the contrast range greater. I like the hues you've picked and the subject matter.

What about putting in some deatials with a dark pencil? It could help to make the sunlight more harsh.

Subjectivly: I like it!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 03:05 PM
A WC! Legend
toronto, ontario, canada

I may be a bit of a rebel, but color selections don't matter that much, but the <b>relative</b> colors do.
in this I might have slapped in a rich purple sky,
I may have hated it and dropped some green on top to echo the street sign (I would have obfuscated the words on that, since I don't want people to read my art I want them just to breathe it.)
in some places the purple would remain and it's relationship to the orage would be exciting, of course I would have to make the green look great too, how? just by going at it and making mistakes.
the more you know beforehand the more stilted the results will be.
working with acrylics is easier than watercolor so you may be starting with a difficult medium.
you certainly can draw, and it's clear you like shadow which is a great thing in itself, since painting it often transcends objects.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
New York City

Hails from United States
Wow that's another way to go with it I guess, but I thought you were going for that still hard look that they did in CA about 6 years ago? Like really shapr painting the size of a wall of and empty store front.

But, I like jerry's idea too.

-S
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada
This one strikes me as a tad spooky, not sure why. Also has some elements of Edward Hopper. I like the shadow coming from the left, I'd pump that up, purple wash might do it. I wonder if all the windows would look so much the same? What might they look like if one or two were open, lit, or had a shadow behind the glass. Love the strong orange!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 11:33 PM
Kingston, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Smile

Thanks everyone for the quick reply to this!
I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I even
saw a Kudo in there!
Anyone else? Please!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2002, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Intensify the colors. Purple shadow, deeper blue sky, yellow gold for left side of building. Make light on post and across the top of the building on the right side whiter. Put a little of that deeper sky blue and street sign green in some of the windows.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2002, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
New York City

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Jangogh
Intensify the colors. Purple shadow, deeper blue sky, yellow gold for left side of building. Make light on post and across the top of the building on the right side whiter. Put a little of that deeper sky blue and street sign green in some of the windows.

NO!! No! No! No way! Ahhhh! No! Don't pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee.

er-- um-- not that I'm not open to "anything" LOL ... er

I like the hues the way they are. I think the shadows just need to be darker-- it's so bright-- it's like when you step out of a building and get a little blinded by the light..............