WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Exclamation Yajnavalka by Arthur Von Wolfe - Legit ? or not ?

Recently recieved this email ( copied below )
Has anyone had dealings with this company. Is there a way to find out legitity ? ( is that a word ? LOL )

**This following message was sent to you by a person who found your artwork on Artists Space's Artists File Online website. www.artistsspace.org/artistsfile Please report any problems or concerns regarding this email to [email protected]

Dear Michelle,

How are you? We liked your work on this site and we are interested in reviewing further for possible publication (edition prints and multiples) and representation. We are a fine art publishing company and an artist’s agent in representing original works worldwide. All publications are done after the formally signed contract. We take all the financial responsibilities of marketing and publishing. We work on royalty basis with the artists.

Please send us digital images/ slides/ photos of a wide selection of works. Also please send us your complete contact information along with your resume and statement. Feel free to contact us if you have any question.

Regards,
PJ
Yajnavalka by Arthur Von Wolfe
http://yajnavalka.com
[email protected]

I would appreciate any advice you may have on this subject.
Thankyou for taking the time !

Michelle
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2007, 02:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A higher state of consciousness

Hails from United States
Re: Yajnavalka by Arthur Von Wolfe - Legit ? or not ?

Did you click on the links and check out the site?
It's "second rate," at best.
Any site that is foreign based, and has English typos is a site I would avoid.

If you go to the site and look around, you will easily be able to make the judgement call yourself...With only 4 artists, I doubt you'll find many people who had dealt with these guys.

Beware e-mail solicitations that don't have a website to back up the hype...
Saatchi? Yes, These guys? No freakin' way!

~M
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2007, 08:57 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

I tried to do a search on them with Madster's favourite dogpile.com and didn't come up with anything. I find their site overly spiritual-focused for a business and the art-waffle is just completely over the top. But it's not foreign, looks like they're in Texas? Only 4 artists is also odd for a publisher. You could try contacting the Art Business News magazine they have the article from? There was no reference for date of that article, which is also odd, usually you'd quote the mag name, date and issue number for publicity. If they could verify the article and date that could give you a starting point at least to know they're genuine. What they're asking for and the info offered seems pretty normal so that doesn't ring any alarms. Their site just really puts me off personally.

Tina.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Lord of the Arts

Here is their address taken from the "artist submission" instruction page on their web site:

Curatorial Department
Yajnavalka Inc. (Office)
By Arthur Von Wolfe
7298 Kingsgate Circle
Houston, TX 77074

It would seem to be someone's effort to get a startup going - they say they have been in business only nine months. I am suspicious of any firm that doesn't willingly list telephone numbers. For anyone seriously considering doing business with them, there is always the Better Business Bureau of Houston to check with, as well as finding out if they are Chamber of Commerce members. Since they don't list a P.O. Box as an address, it shouldn't be hard to find out where the listed address is actually located - someone's apartment, house, or a commercial site. Trying to locate that address using Google Maps shows it to be near to Houston Baptist University, so this may well be the web site of students.

Last edited by Enchanted : 01-14-2007 at 11:29 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2007, 11:45 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

There are two telephone numbers on the website (on the contact us page).

Tina.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Hi,
I got the same e-mail a couple of days ago. Was trying to figure out
if I should check them out or not. Have you contacted them? or decided
to pass on them? any more info?
Thanks,
Linda
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Haifa, Israel

I also got such email. What I did was send them a reply and direct them to my website. I haven't anything to lose, anybody can view my website if they wish.... the best you can do is check it out. And take it on a positive note, I don't think they're cheating - I checked one of their artists' website (Ted Astor) and they are mentioned there, so give them a chance if you like !!! Best, Rona Morning Star
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2007, 06:48 PM

Hails from United States

Just because one of their whopping big stable of 4 artists lists them on his website doesn't mean they are worth your time, or the possible risk of your art being abused (abused as in fraudulent sales that you may never hear about.)
Check it out is the correct advice, but that doesn't mean sign up and see what happens.
That means contact them. Ask them for references, just as you would for anyone you hire to deal with your work. The BIG difference here, is that you will be PAYING these people that you "hire" to print and market your works.

I would openly and honestly ask them, point blank for business and banking references.
I would openly and honestly ask them for specific details of just how they are going to market my work, and to whom, and by what means.
I would openly and honestly ask them why I should entrust my art to them, rather than someone with a proven track record.

I would then write down their answers, and check with any other print publisher in the area, as to whether or not the answers are consistent with the "real world," as they know it.
If they are legit, with a fair offer, most honest businessmen will tell you. If they are not, most honest businessmen will tell you (and possibly give you a better offer.)

I still would not do any large amount of business with a start up that cannot offer details...
Read my "Cautionary Tale" in this forum, dealing with a supposedly "reputable" print publisher, and you will see why I am even less trusting of someone with no real track record...

~M

Last edited by madster : 01-22-2007 at 07:23 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2007, 11:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Thanks Madster, that's a good reminder to be very suspicious of lots of unsolicited 'good' offers made through the internet. I read the 'cautionary tale', so so sad!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Jersey City

Hails from Austria

What stands out like a sore thumb to me is "Please send us digital images/ slides/ photos of a wide selection of works". That might make sense if you had contacted them out of the blue and you didn't have a website, a brochure, etc. for them to see samples of your work, but as their first request after they contacted you because they said they saw your work and they were interested, that sounds fishy. Presumably they're interested in you or they wouldn't have contacted you.

I would ask them:

(1) What works of mine did you see that prompted you to contact me?
(2) What did you like best about those works? (This makes sure that they actually looked at them, considered them, etc. rather than them just phishing for as many artists as possible without bothering to pay much attention to the work)
(3) Tell me something about your business plan, both short and long term.
(4) How exactly do you plan to market my works? Who have you done business with so far? Ask for references. Make sure that you know exactly who they are, that you have all their contact info, that you know from where they are doing business, etc.

And then I'd ask them to send you a copy of their standard contract. There's no reason that any materials should be sent to them before you have some idea that you actually would like to do business with them. You can't know that until you look at their standard contract. Make sure that the contract specifies royalty amounts, how accounting is done/what kind of documentation will be available to you of accounting, copyright terms for the images they market (in most situations, and especially with a company like this, make sure you still own the copyright), competition clauses, etc. If you were to become serious about entering into a contract like this, take it to an attorney who specializes in arts agreements before you sign anything.

In addition to the above, you'd also want to make sure that you at least talk with them on the phone a few times prior to signing anything or sending them anything.

It's not necessarily problematic that they do not have a track record yet, and I quite liked some of the work on that website. But without a track record, you have to make sure that they're legit first and that any contract is very lenient for your side--because you shouldn't expect much of them until they're more established. You wouldn't want to tie any work up with them for awhile and then it turns out that they just do nothing with it.

Last edited by Brandt Sponseller : 01-24-2007 at 03:01 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Ontario

Hails from Canada

I haven't pursued this any further ( really busy with work - ya that darn day job that gets in the way of my art lol )
Have had a couple of private mails from folk who have had the same solicitation. So far no one has ' taken the bait ' or contacted the company to find out anything more.

Also recieved another email that seemed quite a simular. However this one was looking for a $250 hanging fee for a 3 week stint. The site looked professional, and the venue seemed to be a happening place... but with that $250.. DELETE ! If they are that popular.. they should not have to solicite via email I would think.

I appreciate everyones comments. If I hear anything more. I will post to let you know.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
currently Northeast Pa USA

Hails from United States

If 'they' can turn your artwork into gold , why can not you like wise ?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Jersey City

Hails from Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbill
If 'they' can turn your artwork into gold , why can not you like wise ?
Right, although it depends on your preferences, too. I'd rather have (and I'm trying to find at the moment) someone who'll handle the sales/marketing/business ends for me, because I don't enjoy those aspects, I'm not very good at them at the moment, and I don't want to spend the time and effort on getting better at them if I do not have to (because I don't enjoy that stuff at all). I'm no social butterfly--quite the opposite rather; I'm pretty socially dysfunctional--and that's probably gotten worse as I've gotten older. I'm more than willing to pay someone and to pay them very well if they'll take care of those other things for me. The way I look at it is that even just 50% of the profits where there actually are profits is much better for me than 100% of the profits where I'm not getting any profits because I hate (I almost have a phobia about it) trying to sell/network/hobnob/etc.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
currently Northeast Pa USA

Hails from United States

yes , brandt , Likewise here [ myself , haveing a 'handicap',or disability at sales / marketing] yet I want to learn or ' know how' which is actually the reason why I logged in at wet canvas , I met someone at a art workshop I asked for HELP about how to 'sell' and she dirrected me to wc! as seen in my first post here. But in my case I don't mind the hopnoping etc , I just need to know the 'how' to say buy me , in others word to know to bs without the bs
hhee hhee the 'right' bs 'good' bs, right ? LOL
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 04:47 PM

Hails from United States

Requesting print pricing means they are NOT established. They are still hunting for a printer...

Expressing interest in catalogues and mailings in the future means they are NOWHERE NEAR having the clientele, nor the market for such things now...

All the images they currently have on their site, are the 4 original artists, who also happen to be partners in this business...getting a clue here, anyone?

As of Mar. 20, 2007 (as I type this), they have 8 "coming soon" artist image links, meaning some people (the type who will hawk on absolutely any and every possible venue) have bought into the hype. Best of success to them.

Every artist has to determine their level of "art pimping." E-mailed solicitations to artists are becoming the SPAM of art marketing, it seems.
DO your homework. It's your art, your reputation, and possibly your money at stake. If you, as the artist, can't find out anything about some online gallery, what do you thing the average person online is going to find? Doesn't that tell you something about the odds of these people being able to offer you anything in the way of effective marketing of your art????

~M