WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
"kitchy" does anyone know what this means?

Is it a word to describe an artist's work? Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States
Re: "kitchy" does anyone know what this means?

Well...Molly, it can be. And in some ways, as I understand it, it can be bad or good. Most people believe that garden gnomes, and plastic flamingos are , "kitschy" (which I believe is the correct spelling). I have also heard it used to describe stuff that is kind of retro. I'd want to know how it was used in context...that would make a big difference.
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thank you for replying Susan! I had a few of my paintings juried by a local art store. On a scale of 1 to 5, they gave me a 5 for "presentation", 3 for "originality", 4 for "workmanship" and 3 for "marketabilty". The remark on the Jury Submission sheet at the bottom was "some of the work is very kitchy". I am wondering if they even meant for me to see this submission sheet but it was in with my paintings when I got them back. What do you think?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 PM
PA

Hails from United States

It refers to things that used to be considered tacky, but are now kind of retro-cool.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Lord of the Arts

I dont really know what context it was taken it....but i did do a Wiki on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch

Check out my blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thank you Elaine..I must be leading a very sheltered life!...I know what retro is and what cool is but what do I make of the two combined? Is this good or bad or what?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thank you Bizkit.....according to Wiki, it's not a very kind term is it?

Last edited by mollynix : 02-03-2009 at 08:41 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Queensland, Australia

Hails from Australia

After reading the link on wikipedia from Bizkit, I'm not sure how I would take those comments from the judges.

If I were you, I would ask the judges what they meant by "Kitschy"? Is it to be taken as a good thing or bad?

Post some of your work here and ask the question again and see what people here think (by the way, I love garden gnomes)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
PA

Hails from United States

As Susan said, the word has good and bad connotations, but that really depends on the viewpoint of the person using the word. To some, kitschy is cool. To others, it still means tacky. Knowing how that particular judge meant the comment to be interpreted doesn't really matter. Even if he wasn't being complimentary, the guy next to him could have used the same description to mean that your work was totally cool. Clear as mud, huh??

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thanks Elaine..I'm going for the "cool " guy!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmd123
As Susan said, the word has good and bad connotations, but that really depends on the viewpoint of the person using the word. To some, kitschy is cool. To others, it still means tacky. Knowing how that particular judge meant the comment to be interpreted doesn't really matter. Even if he wasn't being complimentary, the guy next to him could have used the same description to mean that your work was totally cool. Clear as mud, huh??

Ill buy that!

Check out my blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kingston

Hails from Canada

It's one of those things that can be taken both ways because there are groups of people that will love it or hate it. I'd consider paint-by-number to be kitschy, but you can barely find them at flea markets and garage sales because people snatch them up fast. A kitschy painting of go-go dancers with big eyes hung at my grandparent's place since the 60s. When it became retro-cool, it vanished. Realists are considered kitschy by most of the art establishment. I think some abstract work is kitschy because it reminds me of the 70s when I saw hippies in my neighborhood putting canvases inside old washing machines and pouring paint on them with the spin cycle running. Since I paint for myself and the like-minded people who appreciate my work, it wouldn't offend me if my work was called kitschy by someone. So I say keep doing what you're doing and enjoy it. And your scores were good.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollynix
Thanks Elaine..I'm going for the "cool " guy!

As any self-respecting artist would!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton, Alberta

Hails from Canada

The term is some times used of every thing from folk art to souvenirs. Many a tourist gift shop could be accused of selling 'kitsch.' I know of some artisans who intentionally create art for that market and raise the standard some what in my opinion. All that said, it isn't a particularly helpful term for a juror to use precisely because it lacks a good definition.

What is more important is what is your objective? What kind of art are you wanting to create? If you want to paint like Degas then compare your work to that genre. If you want to paint like Emily Carr, compare your work to that. Better yet find your own niche.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thanks Diana! that's why I am perplexed. They told me my work was quite good and then I found this paper with the "kitchy" comment (that's the way they spelled it) and started me wondering. I will call them tomorrow and ask their interpretation. I HAVE posted a lot of my work on here..how about taking a peek and seeing what YOU think! I can take it!