WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 03:43 AM
WC! Guide
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia
floating frames

For reasons which I do not comprehend, a gallery wants to take 6 of my paintings. But - they want the paintings framed in floating frames and black floating frames because it appears to be the fashion thesedays. The thing is, I have trolled the net and can not find out how to make the dang things.

How is the painting attached to a floating frame? I am considering buying one of those god awful chinese things from singapore and ripping it apart to see how they have done it but alas in Bris-Vegas, they charge $89 for those dreadful paintings that probably are not worth $10.

Anyone know of any site that shows how to make a floating frame and attach the painting to it ????

I am content to give my paintings away but my relatives insist of them being sold. Not exactly a body that has organized my stay here on earth all that well.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 04:21 AM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Re: floating frames

I don't know anything about framing, John, but I'm not one bit surprised that a gallery has finally recognised your talent. Hopefully, your art career takes off big time.

Michael

My Website www.michaelmcguireart.com My Blog http://www.michaelmcguireart.blogspot.com
C&C welcome
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

John,
Here is a link that explains it….two thirds of the way down the page.

www.hangit.com.au/styles.htm

Also if you are floating a board like mdf etc some framers glue these panels onto the floating frames if the boards are thin ......with (I presume) an acid free acrylic glue or medium (but don’t quote me on this)…. for thicker boards I have seen them screwed from behind through the frame back and through the painting board using small screws.

Good luck with showing at your new gallery….you know I always love looking at your work even if I don’t always comment!

Maggie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 06:46 AM
WC! Guide
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia

Thanks michael for the kind words and thanks maggie ... very helpful - when i looked at the floating frames on those chinese paintings, they don't look screwed but obviously that would work out fine ... i was hoping somehow they used canvas offsets to secure the canvas to the board. I have a feeling tho, this is going to be trial and error.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Ron, Viking57, had excellent instructions and photos on his blog about how he made his floating frames. Check to see if they're archieved here. I got my husband to try to make them using the instructions, but you need good mitre cuts and a soft hand with the glue so it doesn't ooze out and prevent the stain from evenly coating the frame. Not a success.
Amost forgot to add that I'm pleased you are going to get some gallery recognition. Your art should be a complete success.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Here is the link for the post by Ron on his blog that Barbara is talking about.

guthrieart.blogspot.com/2008/06/build-oak-floater-frame.html

Maggie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Gateway to the west

Hails from United States

At a gallery I had visited I saw how one guy made his floating frames. He painted the sides of his canvas black, and made frames with velcro attached to the frame and the canvas. This way he could use them over again in galleries without having to reframe all his paintings. (Naturally, he had to build wood strips on the frame to attach the velcro.) I am sorry I don't have a photograph. Just an idea. It was really nice looking and the gallery owner liked it a lot. She said it is not a new way of doing it.

Carlene
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

John - the only thing that surprises me about a gallery wanting some of your paintings is why that hasn't happened before this. I love your paintings !! Congratulations !!!
Time to play......
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

here's a link to Ron's thread..

Just had one made by a woods shop student at our high school for a larger painting. I'll need to review Ron's thread myself now to see how to anchor or fix the stretched canvas painting to the one made for me...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...7&postcount=25

Larry
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM
WC! Guide
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia

Thanks folks, its a big help to actually see how they are made ... off to the hardware store to get the goods ... thanks to Ron for showing how its done.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 11:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Congratulations, John. Would love to see your work IRL - your show will be amazing!

Claire's Website and Blog
“The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” Pierre-Auguste Renoir
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Solvang,California USA

Hails from United States

Hi John,
Store bought floater frames come with brackets that you screw onto your stretcher bar...as you tighten down the screw it pulls the stretcher bar tight against the floater frame and locks it in.
This is a store bought floater frame, (black and grey area), showing the bracket screwed into the stretcher bar.

On the frames I made all I did was pre drill a small hole through the floater frame and into the stretcher bar. This keeps anything from cracking. Then you just screw into the stretcher ba to lock it down. I had some scrap pieces of foam core which I slide into the gap between the painting and the floater frame to make it level in front before drilling anything in back.
Get someone to help you do this...they can make sure the painting stays level and hold the painting in place while you drill your screw into the back of the stretcher bar. I used sheet metal screws because they don't have that taper behind the head like most wood screws...sheet metal screws are flat back there. Otherwise you need to countersink your screw holes.

The grey bumpers were screwed on with shorter screws and keep the bottom of the frame from scraping the walls and make the painting hang level against the wall.
Way to go on the gallery...that's excellent John!
Good luck!
Ron

Last edited by viking57 : 01-25-2009 at 04:22 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Co. Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Wishing you wonderful success John! Love the lavender/blue that is unique to your palette! I too would love to see your work IRL....

Jane

www.janemeyler.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Congratulations John! No surprise there - it was only a matter of time before your paintings appeared in a gallery. Hope you're getting busy now! Floating frames are a great look for original art - especially of a more contemporary nature.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Edmonton, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the photos of your floating frames viking57 - this entire topic has been a mystery to me as well.
Etsy: taibossigai.etsy.com