WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Auckland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Has anyone got these?, what are they like?, what do they compare too? yes I am looking at more pencil buuutttt compare to some I haven't got many sets at all

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...09102502462071 See me on Facebook See Works For Sale http://www.nzartguild.co.nz/Prickles
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States
Re: Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

I bought a few open stock Blick pencils, and I do not like them as much as Prismacolors...they don't seem to be as soft and don't go on as smooth. They are a lot cheaper, though.

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Auckland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

thanks Char I luv my prisma colors I am looking at Faber-Castell Polychromos Pencils as well I have a few of these and like them

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...09102502462071 See me on Facebook See Works For Sale http://www.nzartguild.co.nz/Prickles
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Comparitively , as CRYork said , they are not Prismacolors , they have a good color variety , but if you are going to do alot of blending they have the consistency of Crayola colored pencils. It also depends on the color , as with Crayolas , sky blue is much harder than navy , with turquoise in between (in terms of the smoothness of the lay-down) not a good thing if you switch colors to find you are not getting the consistancy you were looking forward to.
Also , Blick's , as do some others , have a relatively high rate of minor impurities , picture this - you're moving along , color's going down nicely , the SCRATCH!!! , an impurity and it has gouged your paper and will not erase.
Just some tips from a colored pencil fanatic , I have just about every brand I have ever found , not knocking trying cheaper names , you never know what you might stumble upon
Tony
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

I like them... just used some on colourfix paper and they work well.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 AM
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

I had a sample set sent to me right before they were introduced- I thought that they were pretty nice pencils- As previously mentioned, I found them a little harder than Prismas. I think that they were a bit softer than Polychromos- Right in between somewhere.

I just didn't really NEED another brand- I've got too many pencils as it is

-Andrew
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

The Blick Studio Artists's look very much like Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth Polycolor pencils from the Czech Republic! My Polycolors from late 1990s have a thick and soft lead, plenty of pigment, and a pleasing odor; they are not as lightfast as for example Faber-Castells and Caran d'Aches but they were cheap.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM

I liked them better when I first started using them, than I do now. They don't just feel harder, but waxier, I think. Some colors worse than others.

They are a good product, but not an excellent one. I give them 5 stars for value, but if you are willing to pay more, you can get a better product.

Sometimes I do not agree with the color labeling. I read a color on the pencil, and when I color with it, feel disappointed, especially for colors that are regular color wheel colors. I like to draw geometric designs and use a color wheel to choose my colors. For example the red-violet is much pinkier than my color wheels, and I have now been using a prismacolor dahlia purple instead.

I have a combination of Blick and Prismacolors, and probably will continue to do so, but will lean more to the prismas and only use a Blick to fill in a color not available in prisma open stock.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Resting in Peace
Clark, Wyoming

Hails from United States

I too was sent some samples in an order when they were being introduced. They seemed very waxy and I much prefer my FC Polys and Prismas. Guess it all comes down to personal preference.

God blessed me with the gift to create art. It is both my joy and my purpose to use that talent to His glory.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM
A Local Legend
NC

Hails from United States

I haven't been in this forum for quite awhile. Saw this thread and decided to comment.

Myself, I don't like them either. Too hard, do not blend well at all. I think they are in comparison with Crayola Pencils. Not satisfied at all.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I got a white one recently, and did not make as strong a mark as the prismas on PAPER. Now on sanded paper, might be a different story.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

Yeah, for the reason people are describing they don't like them... is probably why they behaved well on the sanded support [harder, scratchier etc] I think I'll post my drawing where I used them.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Hmm. The Blick Studio Artists's are probably harder than my Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth Polycolors from 1990s. But the hues seem to be exactly the same!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

I am so glad I found this thread.....I was very curious if y'all liked the blick pencils, and if anyone had any idea who actually made them.....I trust maned wolf's knowledge on this and suspect that indeed Koh-i-noor is the manufacturer. I think blick's has their name brand items made by some other company who agrees to let them put a personal label on them. I know of one manufacturer who wanted his product to be a blick brand, but they do go for the cheapest it seems to me a lot of the time, not the nicest, but the 'bargain' brand....although their paint brushes are some of the very best!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Waterbury, CT

Hails from United States

I have done tattoo flash with them and they blended nicely using the Prismas colorless blender. They are harder and hold a point well. They layer nicely but you need a light touch with them.
My avatar was done with Blick pencils.
I still primarily use Derwent and Prismas

If the eyes are the windows to the soul, creativity is the heart.