WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Tuvalu
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Go Figure January 2009

This is a thread to discuss anything ,what you are doing, where you live or anything exciting that you think we should know about!

I was involved in a discussion about abstract and contemporary art and I have to confess that I once said in my ignorance that if I had a Picasso I would use it to patch my shed I since then have realised that he did a lot of realist work as well as his cubism!

But I cannot figure how he got from here

To here

Lets hear your view on these or other artist do you love them or hate them and why?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
A Local Legend
Charleston, West Virginia

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Go Figure January 2009

Last edited by WV.Artistry : 01-12-2009 at 09:15 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States

Ahh, Picasso...I've always liked this painting of his, from his Blue period...

http://www.artquotes.net/masters/pic...family1905.jpg

www.jessicadehart.blogspot.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

This is a Picasso Cast Drawing from his early period it’s in the Picasso Museum Barcelona.

So he could draw realistically if he wanted to but I guess he found that to tedious and boring.
Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom

I am not good at remembering quotes but somewhere I read that Picasso said that he had learnt to draw like Raphael by the time he was thirteen and spent the rest of his life unlearning it. Do you think if Picasso had continued to paint realistically we would have heard of him today? Personally I love a lot of what he did although I dislike quite a bit too, particularly his ceramics. His output was enormous, I think he created something nearly every day, his influence huge and indisputable, and like a lot of really famous artists you have to look beyond the headlining pieces. All in all I think the good stuff excuses the rubbish by a mile, Guernica and Les Demoiselles d'Avignon are just two of my personal favourites.

By the way, if you havent seen it yet and have a couple of hours to spare go visit the Ghosts of Incompetence Past thread on Open Critics. Absolutely hilarious and it has had over 13K views since it was started on 2nd Jan. I reckon Picasso could have found a few to post if he were still around, instead they sell for millions! There maybe a lesson there. In that same spirit I am showing you something from my own cubist period, no need to be polite I was just playing, but to save you asking its a shell. I think I made the right move joining you guys here in the figure forum!

What am I doing now? Nothing, I have hit a major creative block. Currently I have about four half finished paintings on the go but cant seem to finish anything. I may start life drawing again this week although I am tired of paying for courses that I havent been able to complete. Alternatively I may take a leaf out of Wanda's book and do some drawing excercises, I am very impressed with her progress. I have some Bridgeman books that might do, or I may do some bones and muscles etc out of Sarah Simblets book Anatomy for the Artist. Sometimes its good to just copy and not worry about the creative imput. Anyway, I really enjoy looking at what everyone else is doing whilst I wait for my oomph to return.

My Blog
Facebook

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: Go Figure January 2009

Wow, I run out of time for a few days and find the 'Go Figure' thread is already down to page 3! thats probably because of a number of new threads and new posters... If you are new this thread is ideal for introducing yourself...

and Speaking of New... (although you cant tell from the inoperative Moderator/Guide box a the bottom of the page) we have a New Guide in the forum... Prosenjit (roy-p) has agreed to take on the role thanks Prosenjit... and we can look forward to a more international feel with the Indian subcontinent represented

I have mixed feelings about Picasso's work... of course he was an enormous talent, and art did have to change...I think he did a lot of great work... and some rubbish!
I think in the past some of the Masters destroyed their rubbish... but Picasso had an unending market!

Richard... you and photobucket seem to have an incompatible relationship

Mac
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 PM
A Local Legend
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia

I love the Picasso SP........ but it looks crackled.... I guess he didn't let the underpainting dry first before he put lean over fat!!!

Great to have Projensit aboard as Guide...

Last edited by Adair_P : 01-17-2009 at 07:38 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States

Trevor will think I'm crazy, but I like cubism. I think you can’t get to truth unless you learn to see the world through multiple viewpoints. Often the viewpoints won’t fit together well, but at a minimum, you can understand why someone believes as he or she does even if you don’t agree—and you might learn something about yourself. So, multiple viewpoints give you a thick understanding of the world. Cubism seems to say this. A cubist painting puts multiple viewpoints on a 2d surface.
Kate.
P.S. This isn't to say that everything Picasso painted is great. The face Trevor posted might be one Picasso should have painted over.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
I live in Bayside on the coast of Maine, USA

Hails from United States

I can't say that I like Picasso much. I went to his house near Antibes years ago. Saw some of his later drawing. I kind of see what the fuss is about, to some degree, but I'm not ecstatic about it. Personally, I don't like much of his early work, either. It's decent--but so is the work of a lot of other people with a lesser reputation. Mondrian, on the other hand, has a lot of early work that I think is absolutely brilliant. I really love it. The later, geometrical stuff, however, leaves me cold. I don't know what this says about me. I tend to give Mondrian the benefit of the doubt and allow that I may just not have what it takes to appreciate really sophisticated work. On the other hand I do know that he tended to suffer from intellectualism. I guess I don't normally like work that is trying to force itself to fit an artistic theory--whether it is cubism, impressionism, surrealism, expressionalism--whatever. Some of the best work by artists supposedly part of a 'school' is the work they do that breaks the rules--the very philosophy of the school. Frankly, much of Impressionist theory was just plain bad science. That did not stop a lot of wonderful work from being produced. Artists are artists--they do better work if they don't attempt to be half-assed versions of philosophers, aesthetic theorists, political scientists, sociologists, physicists and theologians. The ivory tower critics with their 'publish or perish' careers might like that sort of thing--they have to, they need something to write about. Everything about an artwork that grabs me in the gut and makes my heart pound and quickens my breathing is totally non-verbal. Visual art is not about words. I, myself, write better than I paint and am intellectually inclined--and I know that good painting is totally unrelated those fields.

P.S. I have no special qualification that permits me to be indifferent to Picasso's work. I just believe very strongly that I have an ethical obligation to form my own opinions and that the majority opinion on any matter is only one piece of data to be taken into consideration when formulating an opinion. I know from history that the majority opinion is not necessary true and is often ephemeral. All my opinions are provisional and subject to future revision--they are simply my best effort at arriving at what I believe (for the moment) to be the truth.

P.P.S. In the eighteenth century, when the aristocratic sons of Europe went on the the 'Grand Tour', the list of 'Great Master Paintings' that had to be viewed was substantially different from the list we go to see today. We assume that they were wrong and that our experts of today are correct. Perhaps. But maybe not. Possibly, in the future, that list might be very different again. Maybe they will think we were thoroughly wrong-headed. Maybe Picasso won't be on their list.

Any C&C I may make is based on the theory that even the act of disagreeing with one of my lousy suggestions may still spark an inspired idea.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 AM
A Local Legend
Kolkata, India

Hails from India

This post is just a small aside on the Picasso discussion Trevor has initiated... Thank You Mac for introducing me as Guide. But its basically you and the others that I'll be following for guidance

I'll go have a look at that thread Tina, thanks for mentioning it. Please carry on with the discussion folks... I'll sit here and learn something important.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 AM
A Local Legend
Kolkata, India

Hails from India

Whoa! - Ian, I think you nailed it here...
Quote:
I guess I don't normally like work that is trying to force itself to fit an artistic theory--

and here...
Quote:
Everything about an artwork that grabs me in the gut and makes my heart pound and quickens my breathing is totally non-verbal

Since we are on the topic of non-verbal communication... I posted this oil - "Graceful flight of eggs", in the Structured Critiques forum a while ago, and it has had a weird response, in the sense that... there has been very little of it (and no, I'm not being a pompous megalomaniac here, I'm well aware of my grave limitations as painter)! And yet - while four people have kindly commented on it, there has been 1500 visitors till date! Compared to the visitor:comment ratio in the other posts, I found that fairly intriguing. And yes, it has a Picasso in it!

Last edited by roy-p : 01-18-2009 at 04:25 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 06:03 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

We are all part of our age and culture weather we be Philosophers, Writers or Painters, We can’t be sure who wrote the Shakespear plays, but we do know it was an Elizabethan not an Eskimo. We also carry our cultural and historical baggage when looking at a painting. History is being continually rewritten to fit the thinking of the present, reading history tells you much more about the age and culture when it was written than what actually happened. Alicia had a quote from Whitehead “There are no truths, just half truths. Treating the half truths as true is what plays the devil.” (That’s from memory) Whitehead was a mathematician who failed to find a firm foundation on which to build mathematics. That’s because there isn’t one. Picasso was very much a man of his age, moulded by it but also shaping it. As well as looking at his work we have to look at the influence it had, this discussion shows something of his influence.
Prosenjit to comment on the Structured Critique forum you have to register. So most people just look. By the way congratulations on accepting the guideship your going to be a real asset to the forum Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.

Last edited by Journeyman : 01-18-2009 at 06:07 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Tuvalu

Quote:
Trevor will think I'm crazy

No I don't Kate but maybe Picasso was?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 06:14 AM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia

Prosenjit...don't follow us too closely... you're liable to bump into things

another little aside here... I went to the Central Coast today to a lunchtime concert with Dougie Maclean the first time I've been to see a live musician for at least a couple of decades... but I'm kind of partial to this kind of music... and half of the building was an art gallery... there were paintings by Ken Knight including a plein air from the lookout at the end of my street! other artists including Andy Warhol... and a number from a travelling exhibition of works by Fabian Perez I liked his style and I found it interesting that the majority of them were prints on canvas which he had finished off with some brushwork here and there... the prices of those were $3000 - $4000... and the originals were about $18500

Mac
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Tuvalu

I'd never heard of Perez before but he sure has style !!