WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States
Ebay problem with buyer - should I refund shipping?

Hello,
I've ran into a bit of difficulty with a buyer off ebay and was wondering what you would do in this situation.

During the holidays I was listing some paintings for cheap to get some extra $$ for the holidays.
A buyer won 3 auctions for one painting each. I ship them all out to her and when she gets them she sends me a message saying that while I might become a great artist someday, she doesn't like the paintings and has sent one back already and is planning on sending the other 2 back also.

Keep in mind that nowhere in my auction do I specify any sort of return/refund offer.

She would like me to refund also the shipping costs that I paid to send them to her in the first place.

I told her that I would take the paintings back and that I would not refund her the money for shipping. She in turn sent me a nasty message insulting my character saying that I NEED to refund the shipping money also.

I tried searching the ebay forums for answers on a typical way to handle this and couldn't find any for this exact problem. I figured alot of you deal with ebay for selling art,

Am I in the wrong here, do I need to refund her the shipping cost?

Thanks,
Kyle
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Turks and Caicos Islands
Re: Ebay problem with buyer - should I refund shipping?

Kyle,
You need to state in your policies how you conduct business so there is no miscommunication. Most artists state that they don't refund shipping to or back to them in the case of a return. I give a three day period to notify me and I will refund minus the shipping charges. I also state that the refund will happen after I have received the painting back in good condition undamaged. In your case you might have to cover the shipping if you didn't have policies in place. Always have a clear Policy statement!

I just went to your Etsy store. Fill out your policies immediately! I f you don't know what to write check out some other artists and read their policies.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi Kyle,

If the images on the website give a reasonable impression of how your works are in person, I don't think she's right.
She could of course repent and say that she would like to return them, but she'll have to pay for expenses. This is something logical that I believe doesn't have to be mentioned since your works didn't have any default.
I have to say that usually works look much better in person than on the net.
Maybe you should contact E-Bay and ask for a resolution.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 05:10 AM
Boulder, Colorado

Hails from United States

I agree its a good idea to state some sort of return/refund policy on the auction. I wouldn't even consider refunding the shipping, that's crazy. She's already wasting your time don't let he waste your money too.

I might be wrong, but I thought eBay has a default return policy on all thier auctions of "The buyer has 7 days to return the item (the buyer pays shipping fees). The item will be refunded."

I went and checked my auctions and that's what is on all mine, I don't remember specifically setting it up that way.

Jeff
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 AM

I do a lot of shopping online and I don't know of anyone or any company that pays return shipping charges unless the problem is the seller's error. This wasn't your error -- she just didn't like the paintings. If you hadn't packaged the paintings well and they we damaged because of your sloppy packaging, then yes, I think you should refund everything, including shipping. But just because she changed her mind? No.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

I don't really know, except that you're pretty screwed with eBay feedback system if she goes negative. In the UK you are required to refund item costs and shipping paid by law, but I don't know about the US.

Whatever you do don't send any refund until you have the items back in hand!

Tina.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Lord of the Arts

I most ABSOLUTELY would not return the shipping...no way, no how. I did the whole Ebay scene for a long time, power seller, yadda yadda yadda...
Furthermore unless those paintings were damaged or grossly misrepresented in your ad I would not have even considered a return on those either, negative feedback or not...

Check out my blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

Thank you all for the feedback.

I will not be refunding her for the shipping. The paintings were not misrepresented, they were a photo of the original without any manipulation in any way. While obviously when viewing on a monitor you see illumination coming through the image vs. the original being pigment on canvas there is no way to avoid that.

I will be more specific in the future, and will change my policies on etsy.

Thank You,
Kyle
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Marietta, OK.

Hails from United States

I think your work is awesome!!! About a 1/6 ebay clients are rude, unthankful, etc. etc it seems. I sell stuff there too. Keep your head up and keep up the good work.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart
Hello,
I ship them all out to her and when she gets them she sends me a message saying that while I might become a great artist someday, she doesn't like the paintings and has sent one back already and is planning on sending the other 2 back also.

She would like me to refund also the shipping costs that I paid to send them to her in the first place.

Kyle

what?? that really happened?? that's hilarious. didn't you post a picture of the painting in the auction? so she could very well see what she was buying... god I would *love* to tell this person off..

I would tell her she's stuck with the paintings and she can stick them where the sun doesn't shine.

refund her nothing.. she's insane.

also you may want to wright her number in the mens room at your local dive bar...

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Sounds like a very difficult buyer! Luckly they have been few and far between for me but I always dread them. It all boils down to how important is it to you to not get negative feedback from her. : (
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Minneapolis

Hails from United States

I sell A LOT on eBay (not my work - but vintage paintings, furniture that I deal in). Bottom line is, the seller is now at the mercy of the buyer. I have been taken advantage of several times with the new feedback rules. I try to make people happy, but I've come to the conclusion I may have to stick to what its GOOD business practices (that are posted on the listing - my return policy, etc) and MAYBE get a negative. it hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will sooner or later and there is nothing I can do about it!

The buyer is wrong - plus why is she shipping them all seperately? (more shipping charges) and to mail it back before contacting you - rude.

recently - someone freaked out about having to pay their country's taxes / duties and expected me to pay it!! How outrages is that? When they go to the market do they expect the seller to pay their tax? Just another example of how eBay is doing a major injustice to sellers. Which is why they probably aren't doing so well! I personally sell a lot less there because of the disrespect to sellers.

PS. You could be at her mercy if you have very little feedback. People won't buy from you if you get a horrible ratio from these transactions. I have hundreds of positives so a negative or two won't harm me.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM

As a seller the new ebay feedback policy stinks!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Lord of the Arts

Yeah.....I agree with James.

Check out my blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

Dear Kmart,

I have been watching your progress on wetcanvas, and I think she should be grateful to have your work. I think it will go up in value. I was reading Gruppe, and he said he wanted to swap one of his paintings with a student one time, and she would not do it. Now his work is very valuable, and who knows what ever happened to the student.

I have not sold on ebay, but why would she buy three paintings and then want to return them all? I think she is up to something. If you are not "sure" of an artist, you don't plunk down money for THREE paintings. Plus, she got so nasty. If I bought three paintings and I did not like them, I would be so apologetic and sweet if I wanted my money back. If they have buyer ratings, check her out. She might have figured out some kind of scam. She should re-sell them herself on ebay.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cjorgensen : 01-09-2009 at 09:04 PM.