WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Hyde Park, NY

Hails from United States
Post Project Discussion: Can you see the real me?

A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Can you see the real me?
Project Leader: AniProf
Relative Difficulty: Medium
Type Restrictions: Original Print
Medium: Print - Relief
Subject: Portrait
Days open for signups: 21
Maximum participants allowed: 15

Description:

The purpose of this project is to create, and exchange, whimsical self-portraits of ourselves. To make life easier, the paper size is 8.5" x 11" (or A4), and the print size should allow for a reasonable border to facilitate future framing. Any relief printing method may be used.

Participants will send the project coordinator there mailing addresses via PMs, who will then redistribute them. Each participant is responsible for sending a print, by the deadline, to the other project members. This project is limited to 15 members, including the coordinator. In the package with your prints, you must be sure to include a self-addressed envelope OR mailing label and enough money/postage for the collated prints to be returned to you.

Deadlines:
Mailing of prints to coordinator - April 1, 2009

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here!

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

Last edited by Diane Cutter : 12-11-2008 at 09:26 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom
Question Re: Project Discussion: Can you see the real me?

Hi, thanks for sorting this, - I would like to sign up for this but wanted to raise a couple of queries.

Firstly it says that sign up deadline is February 09 but that it is only open for signing up for 21 days?

Secondly - how might I best ensure sending the right amount of money for stamps for package/s of collated prints to be sent to me? Am guessing that most participants will be from America and I have noticed that postage from there to here seems to cost less (taking exchange rates into account) - we would all be guessing to some extent (or would a final weight of packaged prints be posted on here?). Don't we end up paying twice for postage? Is is not easier to have a mailing list sent to all so that we are all responsible for sending the prints ourselves? Just a thought.

Sorry to be a pain - but for me the cost of paying for one package of all my prints sent out to a central collator plus the cost of having the prints of others then sent on to me may be prohibitively expensive.

Thanks - if I've misunderstood the process - SORRY . Look forward to a reassuring reply, Fi.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: Can you see the real me?

Fi...

On the cost... You send the package to the coordinator (Bill), he collates it, and then sends the collection of prints back to you. So there is only one package going (to Bill) and one coming back to you (from Bill). The amount of money you send him will be the amount it costs you to send the package to him.

Hope that is clear to all. You are only paying for two packages. If you send out individually to all participants you will actually pay more in the long run.

Regarding the sign-up deadline... Because the number is only 15 and there is so much interest, I can guarantee that it will be filled, with a waiting list, before the 9th of February.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 AM
WC! Guide
Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Fi, I am in a project with Four Oceans Press. They request that you send just a little more than it cost you to mail your envelope, just in case the other participants use heavier paper than you did. To me, it is easier, due to the time I save! Of course, time is my most valuable asset these days.

The US Postal Service has a flate rate package now, that costs the same, no matter how much it weighs. You can cram it as full as you like. Of course, that's a US advantage that won't help the others.

I have already signed up! I have been really wanting to do a self portrait like this! I am very excited to be a part of this exchange. I'll try to do ya proud!
My Blog * Uploading Images * WDE Participants' Guidelines * WDE Updated Guidelines (for newbies especially) * AMAE Forum Guidelines
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 AM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

OK- I'm in. It'll force me to get the Studio up and running- I now have a DEADLINE

One question- Are we using 8 1/2" x 11 as a MAX size, or are all the prints to be exactly 8 1/2" x 11"?

I have coordinated a lot of these before- For those 'worried' about postage, Don't be. The easiest way to do it is using USPS Priority mail- there is a flat rate for envelopes which will easily fit the prints in them. Overseas is a bit more tricky, but not too tough- You can use global priority. When you use a coordinator, you save a TON in postage costs, as opposed to sending all the work out to each participant!

This should be FUN!

-Andrew
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States

I signed up!

Thanks AniProf. I'm really excited to try a self portrait...It will be nice practice for me to work on the human figure instead of the dog figure.

Jen
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Talking Re: Project Discussion: Can you see the real me?

Ok - I'm in too .

I decided to stop worrying and check it out (I was caught out by prices on the seasonal exchange as the weight of my original package took me into the next price category and would have been very pricey indeed. I had to repack them all in the post office - wish we had a flat rate for same size envelope lol).

Diane I can understand how you might think that 15 packages would cost more than 2 but over here they charge according to weight as well as size of package. To be honest though, I suspect that you're right and it would still be cheaper in these circumstances.

Very excited about doing this one, looking forward to it. I had a look at the link (thanks Diane) and loved seeing the different styles - it'll be great to get an idea of how we all see ourselves lol. Fi
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Red face Re: Project Discussion: Can you see the real me?

LMAO (is that an abbreviation used on this site?) - have just weighed some copper plate for a laugh as I had a suspicion that I've been worrying totally unnecessarily, hehehehe - I could send you the etching plate too if you like . Please forgive me - have been very tired of late.

You are both indeed right - it is MUCH cheaper this way.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Hyde Park, NY

Hails from United States

So many questions ... Here's a few answers (I hope)

Yes, as Diane stated, you send *one* package to me consisting of *all* 15 prints, a return envelope, and enough postage to cover the returns. Non-US participants, I will cover the shipping cost.

Yes, the paper size is exactly 8.5" x 11" or A4. These are exact sizes and not max sizes.

Reminder, the self-portrait needs to be whimsical. Anyone note the due date for the project? April 1?

Bill (AniProf)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

OK; I've been hugely busy and therefore not doing much printmaking or any posting, but I couldn't resist this exchange! I recently found a photo of me when I was about 30; that's pretty whimsical at this point, so I think I'll use it as a reference. This exchange is filling up fast! I'm really looking forward to this one.
Barbara

my blog: http://genericnews.blogspot.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 PM

I've signed up. I hope that people don't mind a newbie joining in.
How whimsical is whimsical? - can it be just a little different or are we talking full-on alice-in-wonderland type thing?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Pinga... Welcome! Newcomers are always welcome... After all, we all were newcomers at some point. I think the whimsy is entirely up to you.

Diane
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Hyde Park, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinga
I've signed up. I hope that people don't mind a newbie joining in.
How whimsical is whimsical? - can it be just a little different or are we talking full-on alice-in-wonderland type thing?
Welcome, pinga. And as for whimsy, that's just a gentle nudge to do something a little different. For example, perhaps a portrait from an unusual angle.

TTFN!
Bill (AniProf)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 PM
East Coast

Hails from United States

I signed up also! This will be very fun....so we are limited to relief prints eh? hmmmm, ok going to shop for some NEW lino I guess! lol
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Enthusiast
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniProf
Yes, as Diane stated, you send *one* package to me consisting of *all* 15 prints, a return envelope, and enough postage to cover the returns. Non-US participants, I will cover the shipping cost.

For non-US, I participated in an exchange where I mailed a postal order (in US funds) to cover the cost of the return shipping. I estimated what it would cost for me to ship dimensions & weight via the USPS website, then sent the postal order for that amount and said "keep the change". US shipping is definitely cheaper than Canadian, and certainly than other countries, so it's actually not as painful for the return run.

Good luck everyone! Enjoy the exchange.

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"