WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States
A study on Skin and Scales

These study threads are designed to have members show close up crops of a small areas of a work on a specific topic to show in detail how you work. They are designed to help members learn a variety of ways that you can achieve effects on a topic. Please post images that show good detail of your scratch work. Please tell us a little bit of how you achieved the affects in your image and what tools you used. Also when applicable please indicate the species of animal depicted. It may alse be useful to indicate the size of the original piece and roughly the size of the croped area.

Share in this thread close ups on SKIN and SCALES.... human skin, elephant and rhino skin, other animals skin, reptile and fish scales

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States
Re: A study on Skin and Scales

Here is an example of skin in extreme lighting, high contrast. This is on Ampersand Black board and I used the scratchboard tool with the pointed and broad Hunt/Speedball nibs and an X-Acto knife with a #11 blade.

1) Upper Face

2) Lower Face. You'll notice that there are no harsh lines outling the part of the face that is towards the light. In this instance it worked better to have a very soft line (the chin almost looks fuzzy). It gives the face depth and dimension.

3) The Hand. I used the broad nib to achieve the strong highlights on the hand.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Diana has a very organised technique there. In the following chimp scratchboard, I'm using my 'higgledy piggledy' technique where my scratches are kind of curly and random. I just keep going on an area until the desired effect is reached. I may sometimes do a whole area to the same level of value, and then go back in and lighten the areas that need to be lightened.

Using this blade

The skin itself

Another chimp shown at actual size (5" x 7") and then a closeup of the skin in the more normal cross hatch technique

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Entitled "Devotion", this was one of my more complex "skin" pieces. This lady had a ton of lovely wrinkles.

8X10 done entirely with a scalpel #11 blade, chosen for it's very fine tip therefore very fine scratches. I use a narrower form of crosshatching in multiple layers with a variation of long and short strokes sometimes with re-inking (diluted) in between layers. I usually start out with fairly long very light (pressure) strokes...the more layers, the shorter and finer the scratches.

Cheek closeup

Fingers

Although it might sound a terrible thing to say, doing m'lady reminded me of doing my elephant piece a couple of years back there were that many similarities...I pretty much tackled doing her skin in much the same manner I did the elephant hide.
16X20 done with an xacto #11 blade

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Here are a couple of links to completed WIPs...good closeups.

The Elephant from above... http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317593

Joseph... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/11613/396/

My Dad http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=531844

Mr. Forbes... http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318798

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

"A Gator Always Grins" - 6" x 18"

Scaly Skin:

The close ups highlighted:

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

This is from Lorna's piece titled Himba Beauty, but felt it was so good it should be posted over here too. The full thread is at: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579762

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorna12
Okay...in order to be a bit more clear on how I do the skin I've started her right breast but have left it with the first layers showing with no re-inking.

I highly contrasted this so it would show up good.
1. First very fine light layer, fairly long strokes.
2. 2nd layer, slightly different angle from the 1st, equally light and long strokes.
3. Again, a slightly different angle and shorter, light strokes.
4. A couple more layers of scratches changing the angle each time. When the whole breast has reached this point I will re-ink with diluted ink
( forgot 5)
6. Is the same as the previous post where I had done the scratching and then re-inked.
7. I started to rescratch this area...very very lightly...I don't want it very white and the only reason it looks like that now is because of the high contrast.

This is what it looks like without the high contrast...my scratches are extremely light handed all the way through and when an area is done it feels as smooth as the area that hasn't been scratched. Only the very whitest area like her mud hair and the one necklace (so far) can be felt the tinest bit.

Closer

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM

Does anyone else have any other examples of scales they can throw up in here?
Facebook
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

These are all very helpful but could you include the size of your work also and if it is enlarged 2x, 4x, etc. I need a little more info to wrap my brain around things. Sorry for being a pain.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Margaret (snoball) just finished her drawing of rattler with cow skull. I've pulled her close ups and drawing over here. One close up is of the skull - but scratching something like that is pretty much the same as skin - smooth transitions.

Sorry, Marcia, I don't know the relative scale on these enlargements.

Check out the full thread of Margaret's drawing here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987672

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook