WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States
A Study on Fur, Hair and Feathers

These study threads are designed to have members show close up crops of a small areas of a work on a specific topic to show in detail how you work. They are designed to help members learn a variety of ways that you can achieve effects on a topic. Please post images that show good detail of your scratch work. Please tell us a little bit of how you achieved the affects in your image and what tools you used. Also when applicable please indicate the species of animal depicted. It may alse be useful to indicate the size of the original piece and roughly the size of the croped area.

Share in this thread close ups on Fur and Hair.... long short, thick, thin, light colored and dark, animals and humans... and bird feathers as well

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: A Study on Fur, Hair and Feathers

I will come back to fur later, but here are a couple of examples of feathering. The first one is from the breast of an owl. The shape of the feathers is softer and not as defined as many other birds due to the nature of owl featehrs (which are much softer on the edges helping them to fly silently) This is from a 14"x20" piece and this section is maybe 5"

The second is from a golden eagle. See the much more structured formation to the feathers and that they follow a specific dirrection. This is from an 16"x20" board and about 8" in size.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

Here is an example of creating owl feathers with a white board and ink. I used ampersands white claybord and ampersand's inks. I used the scratchboard tool with the Hunt/speedball pointed and broad nibs. I think this is a Burrowing owl chick. First I will show you four images.
1) The ink painted on the board. The ink is darker and more dense than the final piece because I need something to scratch off to create the texture.

2) The piece after it has been scratched. It may look like I scratched off too much, but I will be reinking.

3) The piece after it has been re-inked.

4) The final piece, after I scratched in some highlights.

I am including two close-ups of the scratched owl and the final owl.

Cathy, I hope this is what you had in mind.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Last edited by Diana Lee : 12-07-2008 at 02:34 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

This is a similar example. I used the same kind of board, same tools and ink.
It sure looks different blown up so much larger than life.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

Here is an example of fur on an Ampersand white board colored with color pencils. I am including a small image of the finished piece so you will have an idea of what you are looking at. Some of the close-ups look pretty abstract without a reference. I used the scratchboard tool with both the pointed and the broad Hunt/Speedball nibs.

When using color pencils you must first prepare the board by lightly sanding with a fine grit sandpaper, use soft circular motions. Then you can transfer or draw your image.
It helps to use very sharp pencils and crosshatch or feather your strokes so the pencils have something to grip.

I will show images of the piece after it has been colored, and then after it has been scratched and recolored with color pencils.

1) The Head

2) The Reflected Head

3) The Reflected Body

Diana

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 02:21 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

thanks Diana these are great... and you are right maybe it is good to include a small image of teh whole when showing a small part of an image

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

Here is another example of white board and color pencil for longer dog hair. I used the same tools as I did for the cat.

The Dogs Ear.

Diana

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Hails from United States

Diana, For the Challenge, back a while ago, I scratched a wild flower on black board, colored it with water color scratched it and then used color pencil to add a bit more color. When I sprayed it with the Ampersand fixative, the colored pencil seemed to float to the surface of the board and the color pencil became brighter, or at least to me it looks that way. Since then I have been a little chicken to use colored pencil. Do you have any thoughts about this? I had this same problem years ago with soft pastels.

Mark
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

Yikes, Mark. I use Prismacolor color pencils, and I use the scratchboard spray and never had a problem. Sometimes it helps, when you know you are done scratching, to spray it with fixative lightly and then use color pencils. In a pinch even if you are not done scratching you can spray it, and just use a bit more force while scratching.

Diana

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

I'll certainly give back some of what I have learned here.

Thanks to all who participate, and teach by example.

Willey 8x10

Some examples of the fur going in:

Last edited by Tapecat : 12-09-2008 at 01:43 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Here is an area where I scratched and then went back in with a thin black marker to add back in black hairs.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Wow, these are great pieces and really do give me a better understanding of different ways to approach fur and feathers. The close-ups are superb. Thanks for this thread.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

More fur samples from this piece:

In this case a variety of techniques were used for different effects

Here an exacto is used to make short strokes. Notice how the fur sometimes changes dirrections smoothly and gradually and other times it is more abrupt.

here the fur is longer, ecept where it is viewed head on, where it is very short

And here in the ear the fur is softer and not as focused. This effect was created with an eraser and steel wool.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2008, 12:13 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

A quick thread on how I go about making hair look natural and 3-D. Steps 1-3 are done with an x-acto.

1. I start out with light weight lines that are nearly parallel in structure. These lines go with the direction of the fur and will create the foundation for the fur direction.

2. Then I add hairs that are out of alignment and cross over the parallel hairs, some straight and some with slight curve or curl at the end. Since fur does not stay in perfect alignment this gives it a more natural look.

3. Adding another layer of hairs with slightly more x-acto pressure to make somewhat heavier lines if the area is a light value, once again following the general fur direction, but deviating some as well.

4. Occasionally (though not usually) I go back with the pointed speedball tip and add thicker hairs over the x-acto lines if the hair is coarser in texture.

Steps 1-3 are done all very quickly and I work the overlapping lines all at the same time rather than doing it in actual separate layers, as shown here. If done enough it becomes very natural and simple.

The above is much larger than life and looks a bit coarse because of the magnification. Below is more how it looks in real life...

When used over a larger area of the image gives the fur a 3-d depth and almost like you can reach out and feel the different layers like here...

Last edited by Crias : 12-26-2008 at 12:19 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Kelowna B.C.

Hails from Canada

Thanks Crais for the detail explanation on how to create fur and hair this is really helpful when starting a new project that deals in this subject.