WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Library > Oil Pastel Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2008, 03:00 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States
NOVEMBER 2008 Monthly OIL PASTEL CHALLENGE

Due to unexpected circumstances that have come up, REISA will not be able to host this month's challenge. I appreciate her gracious offer so far back and hope that the circumstances that have complicated her life at the moment will, as soon as possible allow her more time.

I will be hosting the November Oil Pastel Challenge and invite everyone that is interested to select one or both reference images that I have chosen from my photographs this summer and give us your interpretation. You may crop, alter, omit or add as your artistic vision dictates as long as it is derived from inspiration from the Reference Images. I really look forward to contribution from lots of people and I'm sure they will be as beautiful as they are varied.

Please give the type of support uses, brand(s) of OP used, and the actual size of the work. Any other technical details or notes are always appreciated.

The reference images follow. The first is a shot taken from inside a crumbling old building that used to house, among other things, the post office when I was a child. My grandmother was substitute postmistress and let me help cancel the stamps with the big wood handled rubber stamp and inkpad when noone was around. Many fond memories now crumbling away with time. The second image is a flower (a favorite of both Pat and my Avatar), a sunflower brightly lit by the summer sun with the dancing shadows on its lovely yellow petals.

Good luck with your efforts:

Thanks,

BILL
DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! (Various)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States
Re: NOVEMBER 2008 Monthly OIL PASTEL CHALLENGE

Thanks for hosting this month, Bill. Love these photos.

Pat
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

These are great, Bill! Thanks for the story as well as the references, they are inspiring. Thanks for hosting this month. Hope Reisa's doing okay.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
These are great, Bill! Thanks for the story as well as the references, they are inspiring. Thanks for hosting this month. Hope Reisa's doing okay.

My pleasure. I think Reisa will be fine. It is mostly a matter of life's periodic complications that have left her "running to stay" in place and has greatly impacted her time regimen. I prefer to remain optimisting in such situations that they will eventually settle down and all will work out well. That is always my hope. She regretted greatly having to cancel and looks forward to a point in time when she will be able to be again more active in the forum.

Thank you for the comments on the photos. I have always loved photography but was never patient with film and the waiting. Digital has made all the difference in the world. It can lead to rather lazy approach to photography by allowing one to take lots of shots and always crop and adjust in software.

I try to follow the dictum of most professional photographers that it is much more effective to think creatively, consider composition in the viewfinder and I absolutely love the auto braketing feature since the dynamic range of digital (and even film) is not that of the human eye. Thus, even a "good" exposure may lack details and proper color/light balance in certain areas. By bracketing at least 3 exposures you accomplish two things simultaneously. First you hedge your bets on getting a good exposure, and particularly as an artist you get a series of photos each of which may contain better information for certain areas of the composition than the others. So as references for art they can provide invaluable data to accurately depict what you wish in the scenes.

The instant feedback and low cost allows large numbers of alternate framings, points of view and distances, asl well as manual adjustment for special effects.

I also like the feature of high burst rates for capturing action and seeing sequential movement in a series of photos. I use this feature on my Olympus SP 570 UZ at the highest rate of 15 fps when phographing things like beach surf that allows me to catch a breaking wave at the exact moment that I wish for compositional impact. I used to covet extremely expensive SLR Digitals with long range zoom lenses (even have one of the early Canon 60D's with an assortment of lenses topped by the 100-400, Image Stabilized, Autofocus L-series lens that (with the 1.6 scaling factor acts as an effective 640 mm equivalent of a 35 mm lens. However, I have discovered I simply am not a bird photographer and now with the development of the Ultrazooms like my Olympus I can get the equivalent of a 540 mm lens on a 35 mm camera and it has both Optical Lens as well as sensor movement stabilizing systems. At 10 Mp highest resolution it is more than capable of producing enlargements that I will ever need. In fact, along with the digital imaging software I can produce enticing images that fool even a professional like you as with the dinner plate dahlia. I find this enjoyable and if the result is pleasing and artistically coherent, then what is the difference between that and a painting. I enjoy both.

So many uses for digital imaging in even traditional art for helping simplify images, convert color to gray scales and analyze values, adjust color, saturation, posterize, etc. These all can lead to inspiration for what becomes a painting.

Nothing wrong with being a "purist" if that is what you like. But if that philosophy has reigned supreme we would never have moved to many of the innovations in art that are now considered traditional.

BABBLE ALERT AND DRIFTING SERIOUSLY OT. Should Start new thread for this discussion if you are interested Robert.

Bill
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Penang

Hails from Malaysia

Great photo, Bill!
The old post office will be really a challenge for me. I like the sunflower too.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Penang

Hails from Malaysia

First attempt, I carefully works on the petal on ATC black mounting board. Again, due to the opaqueness of yellows, this is only what I can achieved.

Second attempt, I am trying to waive my op to sketch out the sun flower without blending it, And this is another one.

Which one is better?

Sorry, I am using camera phone for the shot, it does not appear to be very clear.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Ong, both a great attempts and I think you did well capturing the essence of the flower. I think I like the color on the second one a little better than the first try.

Yellows can be tough, expecially on such a dark background,

Good job.

Bill
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Oh goodie, Bill, a flower. I've heard you looove painting flowers in OP. You also like making them blue. Can't wait to see a blue sunflower from you

(running away, not in a straight line....)

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

EP, what are you thinking.....
Great sunflowers, Ong. The yellows are very frustrating and I often do yellow flowers, always thinking, what are you doing??? Anyway, they are transparent and it takes patience to build up the yellows....

Pat
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Both of your sunflowers are great, mysurface. Very powerful, loose and dramatic coming out of the black. I like the color in the second one a bit more, but you got a hair more opaqueness in the first.

Have you tried doing a value underpainting just with white on these before laying down any yellows? Yellows do seem transparent sometimes, but whites are usually opaque. I work with black paper a lot with colored pencils and that tends to make a big difference when I do it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Oh, EP, you just looove to jerk my chain. An I love it when you do. I may just turn that sunflower blue just for you. Gotta run, late for my oil class.

Bill
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Penang

Hails from Malaysia

Thanks everyone.
@Robert, I didn't do underpaint for this 2 piece. I only have my two set of OP with me right now, I don't have other material for underpaint. May be I should also try to underpaint it with OP such as white? or brown? or even can be underpaint with colour pencil? I need more experiment for that.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

ong - good studies and good for you for challenging yourself to do it without blending.

Here's my version of the sunflowers. Look, Bill, it's NOT blue Limited pallete Sennelier on 9x12" watercolour paper coated with terracotta colourfix primer.

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

EP, It's not blue, but it is definitely psychodelic. I'd stay away from the seeds in that sunflower!

Bill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Great painterly sunflower, EP. Don't you just love that terracotta.

Pat