WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Canberra Australia

Hails from Australia
What’ the Best Artist Quality Watercolor Brand

I would like to know what Brand is the most economical without compromising quality. I know W&N are the best, but very expensive.

I have been trying D&R, Rembrandt, Miemeryblu M-Graham

What do you use???

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Gatineau, Quebec (Absurdistan)

Hails from Canada
Re: What’ the Best Artist Quality Watercolor Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanDissan
I would like to know what Brand is the most economical without compromising quality. I know W&N are the best, but very expensive.

I have been trying D&R, Rembrandt, Miemeryblu M-Graham

What do you use???

You stand much better chances of getting an answer if you post this question in Palette Talk.
For myself, I am a DaVinci and Holbein user.... Some W&N.
I tried VanGogh for a while but found it to be muddy when mixed.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Canada: Ontario & BC and Barbados W.I.

Hails from Canada

This is a difficult question to answer for I expect that most of us get stuck in a brand name rut and don't switch our brands back and forth enough to make effective comparisons. I used Da Vinci, for 2 reasons.....each tube is saturated with as much colour as W & N....but comes with a more affordable price tag.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Edgewood, Washington

Hails from United States

I use M. Graham paints. I really like them. When I started painting, I bought a small set of Holbein. I do have some W&N in my collection also. Yet, I still prefer Graham over the others because of the rich color I can achieve. I would suggest to buy a couple of different brand tubes to try out. Each brand acts differently to water and paper. Also check out the website Handprint.com. It has a lot of detailed information regarding each main brand of paint. Sometimes, local art suppliers/store will let you test out different paints too.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 03:46 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

The paint we prefer is so connected to personal taste. No one single one is "best" -- but there may be one that is best for YOU. Check out the Twenty Questions /FAQ thread as well.
Jen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rue d'oak
The paint we prefer is so connected to personal taste. No one single one is "best" -- but there may be one that is best for YOU. Check out the Twenty Questions /FAQ thread as well.
Jen

+1

Jen???

Personal taste???
The stuff is poisonous....

No single one is the best???
The brand I use is the best....
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 PM
A Local Legend

That is because you are the best, Neeman.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookie
That is because you are the best, Neeman.
And you too/two
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Perth, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

I started out with Art Spectrum, only because the teacher at the time swore by them, I then started to use some Windsor and Newton as I preferred some of those colours. However whilst I have been on WC I have discovered M.Graham, did a lot of asking around, and researched wgere I could get them as they were not available here in Western Australia. I eventually found an outlet on the internet and ordered 22 colours that I would most likely use. Not only have I found I love the colours, economy wise they are fantastic, not only are they cheaper than to two I had been using they was also double the volume of paint in the tubes, making them even more economical. I bought myself a new palette to go with them, and coincidentally it just happened to have 22 wells, a large mixing area in the centre and a lid which can also be used as a large mixing area as well. They are Artist Quality Paints so you a compromising nothing at all.

I also use Fabriano Artistico Rough, 300 gram and 640 gram, this is my absolute favourite paper.

Whatever you use just enjoy, but for value for money the M.Graham is definitely worth investing in.

Take Care
Love Carolynn
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM
A Local Legend
Washington

Hails from United States

Yup, a loaded question! Neeman has hit the nail square on the head!

I use several different manufacturers' paints. I started off with Winsor & Newton because the 5 ml tubes are a great way to try out colors before making a huge investment. They aren't available locally so I started buying DaVinci.

They are ok but not as "creamy" as some other brands. I do love their version of Burnt Sienna though. Of course I have a lot of Daniel Smith paints, living right across the water from the manufacturing "plant". And those triad deals are hard to resist! One of my biggest pet peeves about the DS paints are that some paint batches haven't cured long enough and paint comes shooting out of these tubes that are opened for the first time, and sometimes the second and third time!

My most recent foray has been into M. Grahams, which I absolutely adore. I do find that a lot of their colors can smear when you are removing masking fluid (that was not a pleasant experience!). I'm not ready to give them up over such a triflling thing, it's just a bit more research, and planning, to do.
***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." – Anonymous!*** http://www.lauradicus.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

Think best is:
1 Schmincke
2 and second is W&N
but when you use student grade top 2 is
1. Van Gogh form talens
2. Cotman form W&N (better palette than 1 but think there is more pigment in van gogh)
ps. i like also some russian watercolors but there is heared problem in lightfassness (also some pigments are very poisonius). if problem dosent exits i rank them second place in artists grade and w&n comes third. why ? price point and like some unique colors in their selection. ps. i think W&N is highly overrated.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

While I use mostly W&N, I do have several Holbein colors on my tray, and I have to say I like them just as much as I do the W&N, and they are cheaper.

They are good enough for Tom Lynch......
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Canberra Australia

Hails from Australia

Thank you to all of you for your input in this discussion.

When I started wartercolor, i was told buy the best quality of paint you can afford. I went straight to W&N, But experimenting and talking to various artists i found that they all use a mixture of different brands. For example I find that Burnt Sienna is most vibrant with Daler & Rowney, Mimeriblu colors are made from natural pigments like W&N and are less expensive but retains its permanancy and are vibrant.

again, thank you for all your input and happy painting