WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Pinehurst, Texas

Hails from United States
Question The Structure of Man

I know this is a long shot, and is possibly unlikely; however, I will ask the question anyway.

Has anybody here bought and worked with The Structure of Man videos that you can buy at www.alienthink.com. If so I could really use some help with them.

No, I'm not the author of the videos plugging the product. I'm just an incompetent student, who makes the same mistakes over, and over, and over again; and, can never figure out why.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Pinehurst, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: The Structure of Man

??? It has been moved. Why? The videos were drawing videos.

Well, no biggie. It doesn't really matter were it is located. It only matters if people see it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2008, 06:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I wish I could help you but I've had the very same problems. I was hugely disappointed that there were no instructions with it. I can't seem to get passed the first stage though now you have my curiosity peaked and I might give it a go again. I'll let you know if I have a brilliant break-through.

Diane
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:40 AM
New Jersey

Hails from United States

I have these and have worked through about the first 40 videos or so.
I'll try to post up my work from them and a review later today. In the meantime if you have questions regarding the videos or the system he uses ...fire away.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Very interesting. I watched a few previews. Looks like the info is there, but pretty hard to watch because of low production values...poor lighting, unorganized, halting narration, etc. Look forward to seeing your results.
Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Pinehurst, Texas

Hails from United States

Good! Then I am not alone on this. OK, since you all are willing to participate, I will repeat the exercises and post my works on here. Maybe ya'll can tell me what I am doing wrong.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: The Structure of Man

Here's the work I did using those DVD's.

Quote:
OK, since you all are willing to participate

Now, I just want to be clear, I will not be working further than this, with these DVD's...at least not right now. I did these first 40 lessons last summer at which point I stopped.

In defense of the program, someone commented on their low budget nature, I believe they were originally a grad student project. If I recall correctly they were all free on youtube originally but since they received such a great response, the creator decided to sell them. I think it's a great situation and he deserves the success from his work. He is thorough and he covers anatomy while also imposing a proportional system and a methodology for drawing the figure from memory which is combined, all into one system.
With that being said, no video program is going to be as good as first hand instruction, in a classroom setting. I am in the midst of my second anatomy class and I have scheduled a third for next semester. I going to build an ecorche figure. For that reason, I cannot justify spending more time working from these. Further, these videos are time consuming and the proportional measurements can seem quite complicated the way he does them. At least that is my assessment. Granted I only watched through the first 40 videos.

Last edited by Anuran : 10-25-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: clarity
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM
A WC! Legend
South of Boston, MA

Hails from United States

What's wrong with books? Bridgeman published quite a few to cover the same subject and they are right there in front of you and much less expensive. Do people think they get more from a visual media? Haven't noticed that myself. Intersting to see, not as interesting as a book to which you can refer again and again in front of you. And, re-read, almost a lost art.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States

I keep a copy of Bridgman's book handy at all times and I have even marked the sections with tabs so that I can quickly reference the particular body part I am struggling with. I am a big fan of books. I am using Richer and Hale's "Artistic Anatomy" as my unofficial textbook for my classes right now and both the Drawing lessons from and Anatomy lessons from the Great masters books. I don't think anybody was suggesting that they don't have their place. It seemed to me that this thread was started because someone happened to be struggling with some of the information in these DVD's that's all.

I happen to agree with you to a point. Books are highly underutilized resources today. However, in some cases it is much easier to get the information visually. In the Air Force our training went through the whole gambit. We started by listening and reading followed by a demonstration by an instructor and then finally we did it ourselves under the watchful of that same instructor. Not everyone processes auditory, visual and kinetic learning equally. Some people learn better by one method or the other. I try to hit them all. I will try any method I can to shoehorn this information into my head and I would consider it foolish to look down my nose at any of them.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Pinehurst, Texas

Hails from United States

Well, I'm back. Sorry I was so late. Jury Duty, helping a homeless man, procrastination, health problems, memory problems, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuran
Now, I just want to be clear, I will not be working further than this, with these DVD's...at least not right now.

Hey, if all you can do is just tell me where I'm going wrong, that would help me a lot. I basically wanted to use this thread as a place to brainstorm solutions to obstacles I was encountering with the video.

Anyway, here are my attempts with lesson one. Yes, they always turn out that way. No, I wasn't drinking at the time. Can you tell me what the problem is; and how to achieve the solution? Oh, and Anuran. All I can say to your examples from the video is WOW!!. I want mine to turn out like that so badly.

Last edited by Dr.T.O.Morrow : 11-03-2008 at 10:06 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

I use both. I've been using Bridgman, Bammes, and Richer for years. Books are handy quick, and you can take them anywhere. Now, with the SoM DVD's, the benefit comes from watching someone who can draw, draw. Very useful for those of us unable to attend classes or have anyone one else around us who draws.