WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States
Technical Question: Mixing Watercolor with Acrylic medium

I'm the new one here that has painted in watercolor but am getting excited about acrylics!

I have 6 tubes of Golden Heavy Body Acrylics, some Golden matte medium gel and many, many tubes of watercolor paint.

Has anyone tried to mix their watercolor paint with matte medium gel? I think it should work, I believe watercolor paints are mostly pigment with a little gum arabic and water. The paints I have are artist grade, so the pigment load is high. I was wondering about when it dries etc.

I'll eventually get some more acrylics, but right now want to try to limit my spending. I also have two tubes of Golden Opens to try out, and need to decide which acrylic colors I want to be Opens, and which the regular Heavy Body.

Thought I'd post here before reinventing the wheel!

Thanks.
Barbara
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Bolivia
Re: Technical Question: Mixing Watercolor with Acrylic medium

I did this once, and you have to be careful.
I am assuming that you will be using the water colour full strength.
If you mix the two mediums, not to try and paint over the watercolour with wet acrylics. (The watercolour will run)
And, when you seal it you have to use a special spray varnish made for mixed media, or again you will have serious bleeding.
~~Kathleen
Who will look up the name of the spray for you!
Here you go....Lascaux Fixativ
If you google this, you will get a PDF file that will explain it all to you.

Last edited by ~~Kathleen : 10-19-2008 at 12:22 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States

Kathleen-

What I was asking is if anyone has tried mixing their watercolor paint from the tube with acrylic matte medium, thus creating a colored matte medium that could be used like an acrylic paint.

Sorry for the confusion.
Barbara
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Bolivia

No problem Barbara, That is what I did with this painting, and the results were stunning, but, I seriously ran into a problem sealing it, and the Lascaux spray Fixativ really worked.
(Regular sealers that were brushed on smeared the paint)
The mixed media is an acceptable way to work, but as I have said, you run into problems with water (on the Acrylics) and bleeding through.
I would suggest that you take a piece of paper and do a few strokes dabs etc, of the both medias and see how well it works for you!
~~Kathleen

Last edited by ~~Kathleen : 10-19-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added picture
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States

Thanks Kathleen. I thought you meant that you painted some areas of the same painting with watercolor and other areas with acrylics! Obviously, that would create some problems.

I still might try a small experiment but not plan on incorporating it in a big way (like in your wonderful painting!). It surprises me that the matte medium wouldn't "seal" the watercolor pigment while using it. But, I guess there are enough other fillers in the watercolors to keep them soluble.

Thanks again.
Barbara