WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects > A&W Reference Image Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Equine Challenge for Jan 2009

Hi all I’ve been busy and tired so hard for me to get much art done. But I did manage three more sketches.

The first is another eye but from a different angle. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off. Its ok.

The second is from an anatomy book ( I went to a used book store and scored with two books) I can really see the advantage to learning this, I can look at this drawing and see the whole leg. I am really excited about learning some anatomy I know it will help with my paintings

I was going to draw the leg in action, copied from this same book but instead last night I just did a head study. That’s the third one and I was only concerned about the light and dark, the head against a dark background.
Attached Images

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Missouri

Hails from United States

Whoops the images are in the wrong order but you get it. Also sorry about the size I will try and remember to make them smaller next time

I am going on vacation Friday so I wont be able to get on line and see anyone’s work or post mine but will get caught up when I get back. I know this will sound weird but I am off to visit my hubby, he took a job out of state and I cant join him until this house sells. With everything going on I think this is going to be a long haul.

The work I am seeing here is well just wonderful, I have a lot to learn and just wanted to say thanks to all of you and Colleen this is awesome !

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Dawn, your anatomy studies are just beautiful, I know they are just bones, but there is something so graceful in your line. I'm going to print out and make a little studio guide of them. Also keep doing the eyes, this is very useful, and when you've done here, I wonder if you would make a post for the All Horses Thread, with all the eyes collected as a reference...

And I think the size is just right, so we can see the detail, don't change it

have a good trip, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder

website/blog
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

I just had very little time today so I gave myself an hour and then stopped. My surface was cruddy to work on with no glide so the brush strokes were crude but I kept going with it since my personal goal is to work on values and looseness.

web site Sue Steiner Blog www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Great action Sue, and you have freedom and accruacy in it.

#43 oil 8x10 sorry about glare on left corner from wet paint.
the other 2 foals on the Munnings study of Exmoor Ponyfoals.
I have no idea how he got such light lights and what brush he used to get that line, I think it is a round as my brights don't do that. Still trying find my way into his work...

website/blog
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I finally understand why I find lots of horses at this forum suddenly!
I love them!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilltje79
I finally understand why I find lots of horses at this forum suddenly!
I love them!

did you see your O'neil?? I am going to draw him again in charcoal because he still looks to stiff to me. Thanx for all the great references of your horse!

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I saw him, but I didn`t remember putting a photo with that position in the RIL. Great painting!
Here are some more suggestions:

O`Neill:
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ltje79/oneill/

Some other horses at my stable:
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...je79/hengsten/
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

copy of Munnings, the Duke of Westminister's Chestnut Mare 8x10 oil

Well this is a mess, I did it on the new cheap surface which worked fine when I used only turps with the oil sort of like a watercolor. But using oil alla prima is not good, sort of like trying to push snot on a sheet of ice, so I'm calling this done. I'll post some more Munnings here, some close ups so you can see, his paint handling, he's such a master.

Lesson today is how he uses negative space around the horse to shape really elegant line and form...see his horse neck and mine compared if you want a great example

copy of Munnings
Attached Images

website/blog
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast
Virginia

Hails from United States

Colleen: Another artists you may be interested in is Mark King who is still with us today. I was introduced to his work in Sept. after I stopped into a gallery in VA. Wrong type of gallery for me, very up and up collectors with antiques and vintage paintings, lithographs etc. Plus the owner was too pompus to help himself To hear him talk he pretty much 'owns' Mr. King. Anyways... he had several original pieces of King's work, if I had the money I would of brought home a piece but $3500 was out of my range. He had a book in his shop to of King's work, and it was autographed but it was like $200. I forgot to check it out on amazon, but I did find some links to his work. Not the best examples but you might try seeing what you can find, here are some examples http://www.gallerydirectart.com/chal-218.html

He did some stunning work in oil, but especially his impressionistic equine pieces.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2008, 04:09 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks Kristen, he's led a facinating life.

nearing the halfway mark and so deeply immersed I'm starting to dream about this challenge. It's not unusual for me to dream when I'm very focused on a subject and trying so hard to understand. These dreams are more vivid than the usual and they mostly end with some statement shouted at me just before waking , impossible to forget, a consdensed version of the dream. This morning it was ( this is exact hearing like someone is talking in an emphatic raised voice) Custom makes it so, but doesn't make it right, slavery was custom, but it didn't make it right

So let me unpack this as it pertains to the work I'm doing. We all have customary ways of working, certain lines and forms we use, these get to be habitual. In studying other masters, I have to give these up. In a way I'm trying to find how their customary way was. There are new lines and forms I've not used or considered. In the two masters I've copied so far, Poortvlient and Munnings I've found my usual way of making a horse top back line, for instance, is not right, its a generalized line describing form and could be fine for abstract work, but it has too little nuance to give life, and by the copies I'm making I'm getting a vocabulary that has more descriptive power.

So we all have these "ways" of making forms in our various media, these customary, habitual ways of working, but they may not be right, we could be repeating the same errors over and over because we are not working from life, from fresh inspiration, from fresh observations of particulars, even if we think we already know it, we could be working from custom and it may not be all that we could understand to set ourself free as artists.

website/blog
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

something different today, and please equine experts speak up on this.
I still don't quite "get" how the hoof and lower leg join, so I decided to scupt one( no I'm not a sculptor but Aaron Bros had clay and armature wire on sale 75% off )
I built an armature, then made the bones, then added tendons( sorry forgot the pic of that) and then put on the rest..side view and front view.
Seems to me the pastern is still too short. I sure know what's under there better and my body has "muscle memory" of building it, havent painted that area yet to know if this helped or not. we'll see
Attached Images

website/blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Great thread everyone!!!

I stuck the thread so it will stay at the top for awhile.

How long it will stay stuck I don't know...but long enough to enjoy for awhile, study...but know this, I put the link to this thread also at the top of the list in the A&W Hall of Fame sticky thread...where it can easily be found from here on.

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySeiler
Great thread everyone!!!

I stuck the thread so it will stay at the top for awhile.

How long it will stay stuck I don't know...but long enough to enjoy for awhile, study...but know this, I put the link to this thread also at the top of the list in the A&W Hall of Fame sticky thread...where it can easily be found from here on.

Oh great! LOL! here I am jumping in with both feet, baring my mishaps and weaknesses for all to see to be stuck in a Hall of Fame sticky!

I realized today, as I wrote in my blog about these paintings a day is that a barrier to progressing in art, in my opinion, is a fear of making mistakes. I am consuling myself that by getting out of my comfort zone I will grow. And be humbled.

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

I painted this today-- about 1 or 1 1/2 hours I think.

I drew on the canvas with my brush and oil paint thinned with turp. I enjoyed the loose brush strokes and I liked the lines in the hocks. I didn't intend to have the background like it is here but decided I liked it and left it alone.