WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects > A&W Reference Image Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 02:19 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Equine Challenge for Jan 2009

#39 Poortvlient copy of Arab
Well I did a nice drawing and went to put watercolor over it the way Rein did,but the canvas tec which says it takes watercolor didn't it just beaded up. so I had to finish with acrylic....will try again on the next one on wc paper
This is getting pretty embarassing, it's so clunky compared to his, he could literally draw anything....but the saving grace is everytime I learn something, this time I noticed he puts very strong descriptive marks at crucial joining areas, check out the stifle on his and on mine or look at that face far edge and you'll see
Attached Images

website/blog
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

love the draft Colleen with all those pinks, blacks and greys!

This is what I did this morning. Again, I am working on fast sketches, concentrating on values, keeping it loose with minimal detail at this point.

about 30-40 minutes with big chunky pastels on black paper

web site Sue Steiner Blog www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

I put in another 10-15 minutes cleaning up some of the lines and also can see where my hind end is too wide. Such a common problem! If I were to do this over I would bring the left front more under the body and narrow the hind end but since this is just a rough sketch I will move on. I like this pose and think I will do this as a large painting at some point because I like the lines of the neck and the backlit mane and rump but will wait for now.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

I like this too Sue, and the chance to work in rich shadow color.

There is something this one has I'd like to discuss and explore a bit, if you feel so inclined. especially since you do murals and this has to be part of the idea, anyone else who wants to, can chime in

It has to do with POV ie point of view, which is not thought about much, but has a great deal to do with a coherent painting.

In this one our POV is up and to the left I'd say, otherwise how could we see the back, or else this is a small horse, so if landscape were added we'd think about that too. Can you mix POV, yes if you're careful, esp with horses we look up at the head and down at the feet, I'm about to begin some Munnings copies, some of his have very unusual POV...I think the issue is important to consider in the planning stages, as it has everything to do with how the light is working and the viewer will experience the work.
At ground level or up on a mountainside? the experience will be different.
What do you think?

website/blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

~~In this one our POV is up and to the left I'd say, otherwise how could we see the back, or else this is a small horse, so if landscape were added we'd think about that too. Can you mix POV, yes if you're careful, esp with horses we look up at the head and down at the feet, I'm about to begin some Munnings copies, some of his have very unusual POV...I think the issue is important to consider in the planning stages, as it has everything to do with how the light is working and the viewer will experience the work.
At ground level or up on a mountainside? the experience will be different.
What do you think?~~

I am glad you brought up POV. This sketch is of a foal so you are right the POV is from the left, up above. I think my sketch doesn't read as a 'colt' because some of the proportions are off but when I was sketching I wasn't after that as much as getting deep value changes.

What drew my attention to the reference photo for this sketch in the first place is the fact that the light was reflecting off of his rump and his mane was backlit. I will post the reference.

I do plan on using this for a large (not mural though) painting and I was trying to work out in my mind what to do for the background. The colt in the reference has the dark mare behind him but if I were to take her out than I have to consider where to put the horizon line and not lose the dark background. If I removed the mare the horizon line would be higher and I would end up with a bright green background. Or should I just do a non descript type of background ? It would have to be dark so I could get those great contrast on the mane and rump. So POV was sort of already on my mind!

I have a painitng I did a few years ago-- one of my very first ones that happens to have two POV's. It was accidental of course because I didn't know anything about anything but it ended up giving an interesting twist to the painting. It is of a man on a mountain. The man is painted as if he is being viewed from up above and the mountains in the background are being viewed as if seen from down below. If you are interested I can find it.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

I have gotten nothing done today but this stuff. Its been fun though.

here is the grazing horse painting with another hour into it. I think I have maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours total. Goal: work on values and looseness-- resisting details as much as I can. I am doing my drawing on the canvas in wet paint with my brush.

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

#40 copy 9x12 Poortvlient sketch of a lippizan
In this beautiful sketch (original was about 12x6) you can see a technique he uses often, in art school we called it "negative drawing" and he is a master of it, it means you draw the space around the object not the object itself. It can be a great aid to understanding form, and makes you see using a different part of you brain.

Notice too how he suggest the form of the neck by how the mane falls suggesting the huge bulge of the neck muscle with a dip in the flow of the mane....I love his work, and will do more studies later, but now the next 10 I'm going to study Munnings the premier equine artist of the last century, ignored and dismissed for a long time his work now brings 2-4 million at auction.
Attached Images

website/blog
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

2nd installment

I worked out a full sized drawing so I could get the anatomy and stance worked out, then, traced it to clean it up for transfer to my canvas. This is a painting of my horse, but, it is also a study of a spanish-barb mustang from the Tularosa Basin area of New Mexico...at least that is the plan!

In this case, I'm working with a small canvas, 12x16 linen, so, I am just using tracing paper to tranfer the drawing to the canvas. If it were larger, I would grid the drawing off and transfer by the grid method.

Drawing on the linen. Note the skeletal structure of the hind end. Sometimes it really helps to visualize your subject correctly if you do lightly block in the bones or muscles to help with a difficult part. I'm more used to painting arabs, QH, and TB - all which have higher-set tails. The Barb ancestry of the mustang give it the low-set tail and a rump that turns more down ward than in other modern American breeds

Once I had the drawing where I wanted it, I started in with an underpainting using white, dioxizine violet, yellow ochre, and burnt sienna. This is more to establish a warm golden undertone, and rough values. I had to stop before I could get to the horse, so, that is for next time!

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

I am enjoying this pose of my colt and playing with different ways to portray him I have wanted to draw or paint him all summer but didn't have time so I drew him again with a little more care.

I am pretty certain I will go from here to do a large painting of him. I love the lines in this pose and he's got this wonderful athletic body that allows you to see all those muscles. Hope I am doing him a little more justice in this sketch. I don't think I have the colt look still but at least its getting closer.

Colleen, enjoying what you are doing also! Hopefully soon more will jump in!

I gotta go feed the little bugger now!

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
A Local Legend
Louisiana USA

Hails from United States

Holy Horses! Wow ladies! These are fabulous. I can't take the time right now, to comment on each one but Colleen, I thought the first pic in post #22 was Rien's sketch, turns out to be yours..wow you fooled me! You're really getting those styles down! Go girl!
Kerry, yours is coming along so nicely too!! I love those scrub brushes and colors!

"If You follow every dream, you might get lost." ~Neil Young
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks Fae, but really it's a long way off when your really study the little details of his work, I really learned to appreiciate it by copying
Sue more is fine but as Fae and I proved even two is enough to catch the support and energy.

#41 and 42 copy of Munnings Exmoor Ponyfoals
As I learned with Rien, it takes a while to get in the mindset of another artist. Not that I can be them, but to understand how they see things. So hopefully this gets better. Of course the best would be to be in front of a real painting instead of a poor online who knows what happened to the color copy. but that's all I have right now.

I was facinated to learn about Exmoor Ponieshttp://epicrus.supanet.com/exmoor.htm
Quote:
Although there is a certain amount of controversy about its origins, there seems to be little doubt that the Exmoor pony may be considered as an indigenous breed to Britain. All of the sub-species of Equus migrated to the British Isles, none originated in these isles. The Exmoor is believed to be the descendant of the Plateau/Celtic, otherwise called North Atlantic pony, which was subsequently used by the Celts as pack horses, and for pulling their war chariots. Others believe that this pony crossed overland into Cornwall from Europe when Great Britain was still attached to continental Europe. There exist Roman carvings in the West Country of chariots pulled by ponies which resemble today's Exmoor.

After Roman invasions, the South West area of England was left mostly uninhabited except for the ponies. Outwardly these ponies seem unchanged from the first British wild ponies. Color and markings resemble those of primitive horses as the Wild Ass and Przewalski's Wild Horse. Significant features in the bones reveal further clues as to these ponies being the surviving relic of the original native pony.
Attached Images

website/blog
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

I want to thank you Colleen for completely distracting me from everything else as I paint and draw these horses!! I guess its actually a nice diversion.

I become so engrossed in this one today. I think all your previous posts ahve been inspiration.

I will probably go back and add a touch or two of the background color in the mane and body but this is basically what I have today.

Again, I am drawing on the canvas in wet paint, working on values, and in this one negative spaces and hopefully, carefully placed fine lines. Ricco, my colt, is still looking more like a yearling than a weanling in this pianting-- think its because I keep getting his neck longer but I am still pleased-- maybe this is what he is 'going to' look like! This was a fun exercise.

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

I added just a couple more touches-- wanted to balance out the background. I want to stop sooner rather than later on these because my goal is still to keep them loose and fresh but I may do just a little tweaking to the face. The profile is not quite where I want it yet but we'll see. I am letting him sit now.

Here's a couple steps along the way.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

no horses today, worked on some things for a comming commission, and read "Stubbs:the Horse" the monograph on him from the big show put on at the Natl Gallery in London.

Sue did want to share this with you since you are painting direct, it's a Munnings study of jockeys, and show how he started, ie warm ground, then lights and darks modeled in wet loose brushwork. The paint would have to be quite fluid for this...he used oils

website/blog
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

Thank you for that study of Munnings.

This is a fast sketch I did this morning-- I wanted to choose a more challenging position because what I would like to do is to get away from 'posed', safer kind of positions and again, do the drawing on the canvas when it comes time to paint. In my previous painting sketching out Ricco before hand was helpful so when I was working on the canvas I was familar with the body positioning-- although there's lots of room for improvement I enjoyed the freedom of not working so tight, allowing some imagination in and letting it to develop on the canvas. I hope this will eventually translate into less stiff looking horses- give more nergy and life to them. Thats my hope anyways! I am not happy with the lower legs in todays sketch (the photo reference had protective gear on) and the head should be more arched but here it is.