WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects > A&W Reference Image Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States
Equine Challenge for Jan 2009

Hello, I have a co-rider, thank you Dawn, for the 100 horses I'm challenging myself to do by Jan 15 2009 . We will post here for the day to day work, and we will put our best or most instructive results on the All Horses: an Equine Resource thread.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=1#post7244612 You can join this challenge too, with any number you like one a month or a week for instance. You don't need permission , you can just start to post, and introduce yourself

The main goal here is to make consistant ongoing work within time frame, as a motivator for improving and producing more work.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2008, 03:37 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Equine Challenge for Jan 2009

here are 5, this little dun horse lives in the pasture next to me and gets pretty frisky, so I got a series of shots as he was running, these are approx 4x5 inches ea, anyone is welcome to use the photo ref. I was trying just for motion so consider these quick gesture sketches in oil. I'm not really sure what kind of horse he is, maybe you can tell
ref

oil on panel I can see I need more study of the gait, on the All Horses Thread, I saw someone post a link to a site with that, so i'll go look it over.

next I'm going to do some copies of some masters, I plan on Poortvlient, a Munnings, and a sketch from DaVinci
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Missouri

Hails from United States

I’m ready, I bought myself a new sketch book just for this and will start today.

I am going to mix it up doing some work from life, some from my own photos and some from other references . I have a lot to do to catch up so here I go................

And your first listing on this thread is awesome
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2008, 02:19 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Great Dawn, I'm doing the same mix, my other ref is going to be copying some old masterworks, the last time I did this was in the 90's when I sat in front of a wonderful Renoir in the Museum of Fine Arts in San Francisco, wont have that now, and will have to go by reproductions which is not near a useful as the live art.

I have some wonderful notes on drawing from Fred Fixler( a great teacher of realism last century) to inspire you

"Drawing is describing form. The importance is not in the finish, but in its veracity (its truth, and accuracy of construction)

On Edges
The edge of a shadow begins where plane of form turn decisively away from the light. SQUINT!

Edges are nearly as important as values. The edge of a shadow begins where planes of the form turn decisively away from the light. Ask yourself before you begin to draw
What is the hardest edge inside the figure
What is the hardest edge on the silohouette
What is the softest edge on the silhouette
What is the softest edge inside the figure
Hard edges attract attention and make the form move forward. The best place to use them is within the light areas

A studied treatment of edges yields the illusion of space. You cannot reduce these principals to a formula. If you look only for shapes and delineation, that's all you'll see. You should also look for softness, merging tones etc. These are the qualities we revere in really good artists."

That last paragraph is also encapuslated in this statement, the eye can only see what it's trained to see! something I found to be a real Eureka! moment this year

Can't wait to see the first ones,
I count each horse I paint or draw as one horse, so if there are 5 on the page I drew 5. In this way 100 is not so much, but there is psychological barrier is around that number, like it's a lot, so setting that and breaking that barrier has benefits. Maybe it stems from when we are very young and counting up to 100 seems a big task. You'll notice many people think they can't do that many, it's too much "time" or effort.

But let's say you do 10 sketches a day at 2min each for 10 days. Twenty min a day, (or 3.5 hours) for 10 days yields the 100, and we have nearly 3 months! So in doing this you will be surprised what happens inside your head and heart, aside from all the practice you'll have

Last edited by winecountry : 10-18-2008 at 02:27 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

Hope I am not putting this in the wrong place. I did this today (without seeing the challenge) I have about 1 hour into this.
My main thing is I wanted to work loose and on valueswith a limited palette. I liked the crest of the neck and the shadows on this big draft.

web site Sue Steiner Blog www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2008, 07:54 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

You could put it either place, this is fine, Here is the main goal of this thread
Quote:
The main goal here is to make consistant ongoing work within time frame, as a motivator for improving and producing more work.
So it's open really, It fits under the goal of improving and producing more I think
Although I'm always open to C and C myself, most of what I'll post will be a study of some sort. I don't plan on giving any C and C here, just into encouraging people to do more work and recognizining the growth they make.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 04:15 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

#36 copy in oil of Poortvlient

this is so botched from his sketch ,but was such a good way to learn to observe very subtle changes of edge and line. I really learned to look at the edge and how I make it more crude, leaving out subtle changes and angles that give grace to the form, I oversimply areas that I don't know well, and I have no idea yet where the feet should go unless they are already there..
the drawing is bad, but the lesson was good. I'll try another. I'll post his sketch in full on the All Horses Thread
Here I'll just but the line of the back, and you can see how clunky I made it

copy
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

OK, I'm ready to get started, too! This is my challenge, just copied from the other thread;

-------------------------------------------------
I jumped in on doing the 100 horses challenge, but, I really think I will modify my challenge to less volume and more quality. Instead of trying to achieve a high volume of work (done that with my own 30 horses in 30 days challenges!) I want to work up full projects involving horses in fully planned out scenes that go way beyond the ebay stuff I've been doing! I have been paintings to sell on ebay since '04 now, and, mostly the work has been ACEOs and other very small, quickly done paintings that are little more than color studies for parts of more complex paintings. I'm not knocking what I've done for ebay because I've seen my skills improve immensely through the sheer volume of work done, but, I have seen what I consider my more serious, larger works that I did prior to ebay take a backseat and atrophy! When I painted larger works, I took the time (usually) to research and plan out my ideas and took whatever time required to make it the best I could. In comparison, the work I have churned out to sell on ebay has allowed me to experiment with subjects, color, media, styles, ect. but, in a quicker, less formal or tecnically correct way. The problem with this is that I am now in a bit of a rut, and, with sales soooo slow right now on ebay, I feel I'm just spinning my wheels, going nowhere! I seldom if ever use reference materials for the quick, non-commissioned stuff I've been doing; I'm just painting imaginary horses. This has resulted in a very stereotypical, formula look that I have become very disatisfied with, so, part of my own challenge to myself is to break out of this formula look and force myself to work with more planning and and technical accuracy, using more reference materials either directly, or indirectly to get the form right. So, I guess this is my plan to challenge myself, create a series of planned painting projects involving detailed preliminary research, sketches, color comps, full drawing cartoon, and final painting. I will attempt to paint a larger painting weekly (or slightly longer for bigger work) plus whatever smaller work I can fit in!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, for my first project, I decided to do something for myself, a full body portrait of my childhood horse, a mustang mare from the wild herds of the Tularosa Basin area of south-central New Mexico. I want to show her standing against a backdrop of the basin with the San Andreas mountains in the back and small butte peak called Tule Peak that was a popular riding destination. This will involve a bit of jigsaw puzzling together of parts of various photos to get a complete portrait and background from the few poor photos I have left of Dusty and the basin terrain, but, this is a fantasy portrait anyway, so, I'll just fluff the rest based on memory and imagination! (I think I can get away with that because I think I have a real good understanding of what my client likes!)

These are my references;

And these are my first thumbnail sketches (2x3 inches) to get the basic composition. I think the last one will work for me, so, I will next work up a full sized drawing. 'Til next time!

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States

Ok I have the first two drawings only 98 more!! The first one I copied from an old drawing book that I have. At first I found it boring but after it was done I really looked at it and thought wow look at all those bones in the knee. I really do need to get an anatomy book.

The second one is from one of my photos, its Joe’s eye, I have a thing for eye’s. I may actually paint this one at some point. At this rate I will never get to the 100 I really need to loosen up and learn to stop. I need to not worry about how it looks as much as what did I learn. Old habits are hard to brake.

Hi kerry I’ve seen your work you are awesome and I cant wait to see what you do for this. I don’t want to get to off subject but I also saw the painting you did for the mosaic and wow, congratulations on that.

Colleen thanks for the quotes I am going to copy and print them out, great to have by the easel!

Hi ColorsoftheRainbow this is going to be fun!
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Indiana

Hails from United States

Hi ya'll. Can't wait to see what you come up with for your horses. If the baby ever lets me have a moment's peace I might even pick up a pencil again..

Horses are my oldest's favorite, she has her own, rides em, shows em, all that jazz.. so I get lots of horse pictures.

I thought I'd share a few if anyone wanted to play with them.

The first is a picture of Freight Shaker, a stud for Musgrave's Apple Ridge Farms. Don't worry about copyrights, it's my in-laws and they don't care in the least.

The second is from their farm as well, I love this picture just because of the foal's little highlights. Makes her look wrinkled, she was only a few hours old at the time.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

I finished this today. My goal with this was to work loose and fast and concentrate on values. I did the drawing on the canvas with the oil paint, going from large shapes to smaller details-- but not wanting to be detailed or tight. I've got a couple more spots I want to lighten up but need to wait for the paint to dry. The computer also resized it to look slightly more squat than it is IRL so imagine him more elongated. I guess the old adage the camera adds 10 lbs maybe can be adjusted in this case to add a couple hundred!

My next one will likely be of my horses grazing in the pasture. I took a great photo with lots of contrast a couple weeks ago and have been wanting to do a loose painting of it.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 01:57 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Just want to share how excited I am to see all the different projects! To have each one explain their goals helps me understand the direction they are taking. It feels like I'm right there in the studio with you

Just in case you are not WC savvy I thought I'd bring this up as it took me a year to discover it on my own. For long threads( which it looks like this will become) you can switch the order of display, in other words, instead of the pages showing in the order they were made you can have page 1 always be the newest posting, to do this
Click on "My WC" in the bar near the top of the page
Click on "Edit Options" on the left side of that page
Scroll down to "Thread Display Mode"
Here you can choose the display mode for threads. (For a full explanation of the modes, please view the help page underlined in blue.)
Thread Display Mode menu shows and select Linear-newest first
Now all the newest stuff will be on page one everytime you open.
There are other options there too you may want to check out.

Can't wait to see the new work, and know that I'm following everyone, but won't comment much unless I have a question, so the thread stays more compact. But if you really want comments, just say so,

Colleen
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

#37 copy of Poortvliet draft horse from Horses book 8x10 oil

I have to go to cheaper surfaces with doing so many pieces. This is done on Canvass tex by Morilla, which is for oil and acrylic painting about the weight of heavy paper. I coated it with Liquitex clear gesso toned with Golden Titanium white, and Iridesent Bronze fine. This surprising combination put on with a soft brush , the china bristle type from the hardware store, brushing as it sets up, leaves a texture and color very close to belgium linen.

I used an oil pencil for drawing on, then brushed over that with spike of lavendar, and finally added some oil very diluted with spike.
This gave me something close to a charchol drawing which is what he used...

drawing first, then melted with added oil
Attached Images

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast
Kidron, Ohio

Hails from United States

For someone who said they had no time I am finding time to paint these fast, loose ones. They are actually a nice break from some of the stuff I am working on now. Again, my goals are to do the drawing/sketching with the oil paint right on the canvas, keep it fast and loose and concentrate on values.

I picked this reference because 1. It is some of my own horses and 2. I loved the deep contrast in it.

Here's my start with about 15 minutes into it:

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

wow Sue,
One thing I'm finding on this thead is Freedom!, it's all about learning exploring and no worry about the final outcome, and without comments, I'm finding that freeing too, just following my own muse, without self-judgement, or worry about how it looks to others...

Poortvlient draft horse, his drawing is so strong and unfussy, my copy isn't that great but I'm getting a feel for how solid his work is. a very different temperment than me. Yet he's never crude, and every line is graceful, trying to get my brush to do that, but Will try 2 more of his then work on a Munnings